PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran on Dan Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if he is lost for 2009 , we have seen the last of Tom Brady in a pats uniform, and its just not fair and just for this great QB to go out like this .. Its not how it was suppose to be.. All we have to do is wait, and this what makes this offseason the worst in terms of waiting.. Last 2 offseasons were just bitter bills to swallow...

Please explain why that is the case. Because he is a FA? The Franchise tag represents a bargain when it pertains to someone like Brady so not sure why that would signal the end.

while the world is in the mood, looks like this thread should be moved to some other forum......

don't want to be a wise-guy, but more patriot-related thread have been jettisoned

Actually, they can: "Except as set forth in Section 10 below, each Club shall be permitted to designate one of its players who would otherwise be an Unrestricted Free Agent as a Franchise Player each season during the term of this Agreement. The player so designated may be one who would otherwise be a Restricted Free Agent."

In any case, though, per Miguel, it's 20% for the franchise tag, but only 10% for an RFA tender.

Thanks for the correction CT. I didn't realize that. I think its kinda stupid to use the franchise tage on a RFA since you could turn around and use it on a UFA while slapping the RFA tender.

Curran still doesn't seem to get it.

"Even though Brady went the aggressive route by having his reconstructive surgery relatively early (many doctors recommend waiting for the MCL to heal on its own before going in to repair the ACL), the infection that began near the repaired MCL required six weeks of antibiotics and irrigation. The significant scar tissue that built up during that period still had not been removed as of last week, leaving Brady with limited range of motion. Until the scar tissue comes out (and a two-to-three week period of recovery from that process is observed) and range of motion improves, a productive rehab can’t begin. With the start of training camp seven months away and the season opener nine months out, Brady may wind up beginning the 2009 season on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list."

He can use all the scary words he likes, the reality proven by Rivers and Palmer is he doesn't need to start the full on rehab for about a month yet. Rivers had his surgery on January 25 last year and had an expected recovery time of 6 months which he obviously met. Like Brady he would have a short rest time planned before starting rehab, I forget what it was but it's not long anymore. But that puts him around the beginning of February. I have little doubt Brady is rehabbing the best he can and they'll wait until they think is the best time to remove the scar tissue and move along. The timeline is fine, it works, he's only behind RELATIVE to when he got hurt not to the ABSOLUTE time he needs to be ready for the season.

I'm typically a glass half full guy when it comes to the Pats. I know Curran isn't just making stuff up, I also know he has no agenda in the situation, and that the facts he's reporting are basically true - I just hope his diagnosis and analysis of the situation is wrong, and the fact that some other talking media members (granted, generally ones I trust less, ie King) have a different take lends some credence. Its not as simple as Curran is wrong or Curran is right. It's probably more of a situation where Brady and his trainers will have to prove Curran wrong with a lot of hard work over the next 8 months, but I think they have the time to do it.
well...we have seen players with lesser injuries like seymour begin the yr on PUP so its not entirely implausible for brady although he got a head start 5 months ago

Please explain why that is the case. Because he is a FA? The Franchise tag represents a bargain when it pertains to someone like Brady so not sure why that would signal the end.

no that would be 2 years out of football, and doubt would have to creep in if he or the pats want to be there that is all.. Trust me I dont want to see that happen

Can we finally get some postive news.. I mean I think Matt Cassel had a nice season and all, but this is no way for Tom Brady to possibly finish his carreer, ive seen more worse inj in pro football and they have come back, like Rodney Harrison, damn you marcus pollard.. damn you

well...we have seen players with lesser injuries like seymour begin the yr on PUP so its not entirely implausible for brady although he got a head start 5 months ago

Seymour is different. Seymour chose to rehab at home and supposably reinjured himself in rehab. Granted without any information other than rumors, no one outside of the Patriots organization knows for sure.

no that would be 2 years out of football, and doubt would have to creep in if he or the pats want to be there that is all.. Trust me I dont want to see that happen

So you Franchise him and he plays on a one year deal until the doubt is gone.

Curran still doesn't seem to get it.

"Even though Brady went the aggressive route by having his reconstructive surgery relatively early (many doctors recommend waiting for the MCL to heal on its own before going in to repair the ACL), the infection that began near the repaired MCL required six weeks of antibiotics and irrigation. The significant scar tissue that built up during that period still had not been removed as of last week, leaving Brady with limited range of motion. Until the scar tissue comes out (and a two-to-three week period of recovery from that process is observed) and range of motion improves, a productive rehab can’t begin. With the start of training camp seven months away and the season opener nine months out, Brady may wind up beginning the 2009 season on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list."

He can use all the scary words he likes, the reality proven by Rivers and Palmer is he doesn't need to start the full on rehab for about a month yet. Rivers had his surgery on January 25 last year and had an expected recovery time of 6 months which he obviously met. Like Brady he would have a short rest time planned before starting rehab, I forget what it was but it's not long anymore. But that puts him around the beginning of February. I have little doubt Brady is rehabbing the best he can and they'll wait until they think is the best time to remove the scar tissue and move along. The timeline is fine, it works, he's only behind RELATIVE to when he got hurt not to the ABSOLUTE time he needs to be ready for the season.

Curran doesn't get it at all. If Brady isn't LIMPING, then he's got the primary range of motion that they worry about and that is extension to 0 to 1 degrees. Anything more than that, and it causes a limp, however slight. If he was a long distance runner or a goalie or a kicker, then they would have to worry about the flexion more.

Reality is that the scar tissue can be left there while Brady rebuilds the strength in the leg. And the strength can help break down that scar tissue. Only if the scar tissue was impeding the actual knee extension would they worry about it.

Am I the only one who thinks it is kind of pointless to use the pup on a QB unless you want to carry an extra one that you would likely cut before carrying 4. If Brady isn't ready for the start of the season you make him the emergency QB and he doesn't count against the game day actives. You could go with just 2 QBs but than you lose that emergency QB on game days which I guess if Brady isn't ready isn't that big a deal. But if you pup you can't have him practice with the team and personally I think after a year off he could use the practice to get his timing back.

Not much to be gained accept a roster spot and hopefully we have healthy scratches that early in the season.

Well, I think this gives me more pause to think Curran is getting some bad info. Not because of the Brady info, but his attacks on ESPN for saying the decision to franchise Cassel has or hasn't been made. Mike Lombardi has said that the decision has. He has a closer tie to Belichick than Curran has especially after last week's story. Lombardi worked in the Browns' front office when Belichick was head coach and Pioli was working also in the front office. Lombardi has a friendship with both guys. Lombardi's friendship with Belichick and Pioli led to Al Davis accusing all three in tampering with Randy Moss.

I will trust Lombardi's information on personnel moves by the Patriots over Curran and most other writers. Personally, I don't see Lombardi writing something like that unless it came from Belichick or Pioli or at least had their blessing to run with it. Considering Curran's source is someone "who is involved in making the call" for franchising Cassel and anyone in that position is probably not exactly happy with Curran for his story last week, I don't know if I would trust Curran's information on this one. Again, I don't think he is making it up or anything, but I do think anyone at the Patriots are going to give him any information like that since either he exposed Brady's true injury or created a hailstorm of crap for nothing.

Curran doesn't get it at all. If Brady isn't LIMPING, then he's got the primary range of motion that they worry about and that is extension to 0 to 1 degrees. Anything more than that, and it causes a limp, however slight. If he was a long distance runner or a goalie or a kicker, then they would have to worry about the flexion more.

Reality is that the scar tissue can be left there while Brady rebuilds the strength in the leg. And the strength can help break down that scar tissue. Only if the scar tissue was impeding the actual knee extension would they worry about it.
I remember you saying that yesterday and I have a lot more confidence in you than in Curran on this. However, I figured I'd look at it from a WORST CASE schedule basically if Curran was right. If he has to get the scar tissue removed, if he's down for 2-3 weeks and if he can't start full rehab until then, HE STILL is on track for next season if the scar tissue were removed in the next week or so and if he had no more setbacks. Of course, your information is even more positive towards his rehab that that worst case.

I remember you saying that yesterday and I have a lot more confidence in you than in Curran on this. However, I figured I'd look at it from a WORST CASE schedule basically if Curran was right. If he has to get the scar tissue removed, if he's down for 2-3 weeks and if he can't start full rehab until then, HE STILL is on track for next season if the scar tissue were removed in the next week or so and if he had no more setbacks. Of course, your information is even more positive towards his rehab that that worst case.

The worst part of the whole thing is that I am talking from a non-professional athelete's perspective... Yes, I had to have scar tissue removed, but its also because I didn't follow the regimen the way I was supposed to. Going to Disneyland without icepacks and without taking advantage of a wheel chair was stupid on my part. And its the only reason I had the scar tissue. And my leg was back to full strength when they did the arthroscopic procedure.

Anyways..
on a seperate tangent, I am amazed at how the NFL doesn't have to follow the HIPAA laws regarding player's health.

Thanks for the correction CT. I didn't realize that. I think its kinda stupid to use the franchise tage on a RFA since you could turn around and use it on a UFA while slapping the RFA tender.

The only reason I can think of to use the franchise tag on an RFA is if you were determined to keep the player, but couldn't reach terms on a longer contract, and felt it was likely someone else would sign the player to an offer sheet. . . . and even that seems rather far-fetched.

Here is my opinion. If Eli Manning sustains the same injury this weekend as Brady, he could/would/should be ready for the start of next season. So, to say TODAY whether Brady will be ready for next season is ludicrous. Whereever he stands in rehab, it doesn't matter if he is 80%, 50%,3% or 0% of the way back there is still plenty of time.
To conclude TODAY whether or not he will be ready next season is speculation based in sensationalism and destroys any credibility of the source.

The worst part of the whole thing is that I am talking from a non-professional athelete's perspective... Yes, I had to have scar tissue removed, but its also because I didn't follow the regimen the way I was supposed to. Going to Disneyland without icepacks and without taking advantage of a wheel chair was stupid on my part. And its the only reason I had the scar tissue. And my leg was back to full strength when they did the arthroscopic procedure.
It seems the your disagreement with Curran boils down to :

- Does Brady currently have enough range of motion to do good, valuable rehab now.

His claim is that Brady's range of motion in his knee is so limited that he can't do a good rehab and the real rehab won't start until he can; which will be when the scar tissue issue is resolved.

You say that his range of motion looks just fine and from what you've seen combined with what you've experienced, his range of motion looks good so that he can rehab effectively now and get the scar tissue removed when convenient but that the starting point of effective rehab will be before now, let alone before the scar tissue is removed.

If you are correct then Curran's whole point is dismissed in my mind because he's saying the scar tissue leads to range of motion problems with leads to effective rehab not being able to be started yet. Not being a doctor, your argument sounds much better to me because otherwise they could do the scar tissue procedure now.

It seems the your disagreement with Curran boils down to :

- Does Brady currently have enough range of motion to do good, valuable rehab now.

His claim is that Brady's range of motion in his knee is so limited that he can't do a good rehab and the real rehab won't start until he can; which will be when the scar tissue issue is resolved.

You say that his range of motion looks just fine and from what you've seen combined with what you've experienced, his range of motion looks good so that he can rehab effectively now and get the scar tissue removed when convenient but that the starting point of effective rehab will be before now, let alone before the scar tissue is removed.

If you are correct then Curran's whole point is dismissed in my mind because he's saying the scar tissue leads to range of motion problems with leads to effective rehab not being able to be started yet. Not being a doctor, your argument sounds much better to me because otherwise they could do the scar tissue procedure now.

My question to Curran would be....Why are they waiting to remove the scar tissue then?

My question to Curran would be....Why are they waiting to remove the scar tissue then?
The only possible answer is they expect more to build up and don't want to do it twice. But this is where DaBruinz explanation sounds much more plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back