PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran on Dan Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curran's speculation aside:

Lombardi reported the Pats would be Franchise Tagging Cassel, attributing his report to a conversation(s) with people within the NE Patriots organization. When is the last time a media source (and Lombardi is media now) specifically stated he'd spoken to people within the organization instead of using a 'league sources' line? It's to NE's advantage to advertise the Franchise plans, it puts teams looking to sign Cassel on notice that they need to talk to BE first. Why? Because Cassel is on the market and NE is "advertising" their product.

So far everything I've read, including the Curran reports, points to Cassel being Franchised, and the way it's being reported by all but Curran indicate Cassel is on the market. Brady isn't my worry.

What is known is that you can start rehab around Feb 1. and still make it back for week 1. Rivers had his surgery after the AFCCG last year, Palmer in the first week of the playoffs with a more serious injury and they both made it back.

Unless Brady has to wait until mid February or later to have any touch ups done or unless his rehab will be slower than the others once he can go full throttle there is no reason that he won't be back week one.

Oh, and pray tell, What kind of year did Palmer have?

I do not think it is all impossible to believe that the Tom Brady that we all know and love won't BE that Tom Brady until several games into the season. Its not like Tom Brady ever had a surplus of speed and running ability to start with, after all.

What do you do then?

Let him come back to a 1-4 record and say: RUN the Table!?! Y'all may be confident but Bill Belichick is always prepared, for every eventuality. That's why he is who he is.

Look up the numbers, he did just fine the next year. About the same as the year before he got hurt. He declined the next year as the team fell apart around him.

He threw for 4000 yards and 28 TDs. Yeah. That's awful. If Brady did that, we'd have to cut him.

Last edited:
He threw for 4000 yards and 28 TDs. Yeah. That's awful. If Brady did that, we'd have to cut him.
Rivers only had a career year after his ACL replacement so that was a real problem for him ;)

Curran's speculation aside:

Lombardi reported the Pats would be Franchise Tagging Cassel, attributing his report to a conversation(s) with people within the NE Patriots organization. When is the last time a media source (and Lombardi is media now) specifically stated he'd spoken to people within the organization instead of using a 'league sources' line? It's to NE's advantage to advertise the Franchise plans, it puts teams looking to sign Cassel on notice that they need to talk to BE first. Why? Because Cassel is on the market and NE is "advertising" their product.

So far everything I've read, including the Curran reports, points to Cassel being Franchised, and the way it's being reported by all but Curran indicate Cassel is on the market. Brady isn't my worry.

This year is a hot draft. There are a lot of juniors coming out. (next year will stink) The Pats will trade Cassel for the highest pic(s) possible for this year's draft and move forward from there. After watching Cassel drown in pre season last year and then do a complete turn around, I'm convinced BB and staff are much less concerned about the QB position than we are even if Brady is late coming back. This draft can fill a lot of present and future holes especially if they pick up another 1st rounder.

I don't know what to believe and what not to, but people saying "Curran must be mistaken" because he is saying something we don't want to hear are certainly employing some weak logic. We don't know anything right now, though I'm personally inclined to think that Curran is most likely not making it up since he never has before and has proven to be closer to team sources than the vast majority of other sources out there.

but people saying "Curran must be mistaken" because he is saying something we don't want to hear are certainly employing some weak logic.
No-one is saying that. Several to many of are saying he's probably mistaken because he's alone on his island and about half a dozen others are saying the exact opposite.

We don't know anything right now, though I'm personally inclined to think that Curran is most likely not making it up since he never has before and has proven to be closer to team sources than the vast majority of other sources out there.
I don't think he's making it up but I think he's taking some facts and arriving at incorrect conclusions. For example, I think the fact that he's "behind" is correct but the conclusion that it makes him unlikely to be ready week 1 is incorrect as he had a massive head start (September vs. January) compared to Rivers/Palmer and that head start gives him some margin for error on the setback.

No-one is saying that. Several to many of are saying he's probably mistaken because he's alone on his island and about half a dozen others are saying the exact opposite.

I don't think he's making it up but I think he's taking some facts and arriving at incorrect conclusions. For example, I think the fact that he's "behind" is correct but the conclusion that it makes him unlikely to be ready week 1 is incorrect as he had a massive head start (September vs. January) compared to Rivers/Palmer and that head start gives him some margin for error on the setback.

he probably bases that there will be another surgery for scar tissue whereas everyone else is basing on current situation.
i dont know about this injury at all but to see brady walking around in charity events and all is somewhat a +ve. if it was as bad or "screwed up" then maybe he would be careful and stay put not to mention not look so much relaxed.
Bottom line as BB said last week, "i dont need to read reports , i talk to Tom everyday". No one knows yet other than BB so we have to wait and hope for the best .

I have one question. When did the New England Patriots start telling the media EXACTLY what is going on with the players in their organization?
OK I have two questions. When did BB and the people on his staff start telling the media about injuries? :confused2: Just asking.

I have one question. When did the New England Patriots start telling the media EXACTLY what is going on with the players in their organization?
OK I have two questions. When did BB and the people on his staff start telling the media about injuries? :confused2: Just asking.

Well never but it doesnt mean these reporters have sources. Lot of people said brady was done even before the pats announced it including schefter and michael silver.Its hard to get info but some people can.
On the other hand both silver and schefter last week said brady is coming along fine.

Well never but it doesnt mean these reporters have sources. Lot of people said brady was done even before the pats announced it including schefter and michael silver.Its hard to get info but some people can.
On the other hand both silver and schefter last week said brady is coming along fine.

All of these reports are driving me crazy!!! Brady's doing well, Brady might need more surgery, Brady's rehab is ahead of schedule, Brady might miss another season ...blah, blah, blah...I WISH THAT THESE DAMN REPORTERS WOULD MAKE UP THEIR MINDS!!! :scream:

Last edited:
I don't know what to believe and what not to, but people saying "Curran must be mistaken" because he is saying something we don't want to hear are certainly employing some weak logic. We don't know anything right now, though I'm personally inclined to think that Curran is most likely not making it up since he never has before and has proven to be closer to team sources than the vast majority of other sources out there.

It's not that I disbelieve all of what Curran is reporting. I question his prognosis. I do believe that there is scar tissue that needs to be removed. I do believe there may be concern about the ACL and MCL (although it was always my understanding that the MCL can heal on its own and kinda flies in the face of Curran's report). I just think he may be taking the worst case scenario as the ultimate resolution.

There have been people who are closer to people in the organization who have spoken and disagree with Curran's report. By most accounts, there isn't a media person locally or nationally closer to Brady than Michael Silver. Silver says Brady is on track. Adam Schefter at this point might have more connections in the Patriots organization than Curran and he says he cannot find a single source to coorborate his story and in fact he has heard members of the Pats medical staff are bitter about Brady going to the West Coast for the surgery and may be spreading false rumors.

What really puts me off about Curran right now is that he is so adament about being right that he is speaking in absolutes. He originally said that Brady may miss the start of the season and now it is he is definitely not going to be available. He seems to think Brady cannot even start to rehab until March or so which seems a little ridiculous. He says Brady is 16 weeks behind in rehab when it hasn't been 16 weeks since Brady had his surgery.

Curran isn't making anything up. Some of the things he reported have been coorborated, others haven't. I think he might have gotten the wrong spin on the prognosis.

Bottom line as BB said last week, "i dont need to read reports , i talk to Tom everyday". No one knows yet other than BB so we have to wait and hope for the best .

Yeah, but if you listen to Felger, Belichick's "lack of a denial" means that Curran's report is right.

Yeah, but if you listen to Felger, Belichick's "lack of a denial" means that Curran's report is right.

BB hasnt even said what the injury is out loud yet.He is always non commital.

it still makes me angry to think Brady wont be ready by week one when both Palmer and Rivers were with only 9 months after surgery and Brady has 12.

Still dont think Brady would be walking around if his knee isn't where it needs to be, these reports say he might need the second surgery and thus delay his season, well you know what, if he had surgery tomorrow he still has 9 months, same as Rivers and Palmer.

Here is my theory on Curran and the Brady knee...

If Brady is totally healthy and the Pats franchise Cassell and then trade him, I have heard that the NFL might frown on that. It is within the rules but not really why they have the franchise tag. The Pats have been caught up in the cheating bullsht and don't need any extra aggravation from the NFL front offices.

Curran's reliable source is within the organization and they are feeding him a line of bull. Brady is really healthy but the Pats want everyone to think he isn't. They will then franchise Cassell and trade him when Brady has made a "drastic and rapid" recovery during the preseason. This keeps the NFL off their backs as well as keeping Cassell for juicy trade bait. imo

:agree::agree:

I think if he is lost for 2009 , we have seen the last of Tom Brady in a pats uniform, and its just not fair and just for this great QB to go out like this .. Its not how it was suppose to be.. All we have to do is wait, and this what makes this offseason the worst in terms of waiting.. Last 2 offseasons were just bitter bills to swallow...

I'm typically a glass half full guy when it comes to the Pats. I know Curran isn't just making stuff up, I also know he has no agenda in the situation, and that the facts he's reporting are basically true - I just hope his diagnosis and analysis of the situation is wrong, and the fact that some other talking media members (granted, generally ones I trust less, ie King) have a different take lends some credence. Its not as simple as Curran is wrong or Curran is right. It's probably more of a situation where Brady and his trainers will have to prove Curran wrong with a lot of hard work over the next 8 months, but I think they have the time to do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back