PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran Article on how the Pats "Stack" their prospects...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Once again TC has a great article on how the Pats stack their players for the draft. For the sake of brevity, have only listed the top 10 there are 29 in his article.

http://www.projo.com/cgi-bin/bi/gold_print.cgi

There are two stacks. The horizontal stack is done position by position. All the fullbacks are rated one through five, for instance. All the guards are rated onethrough seven, and so on.

When the horizontal stack is done, the vertical stack begins. That's when all the players are ranked one through the last guy a team would draft. The vertical stack is more difficult because teams are comparing, say, the fourth-rated running back with the sixth-rated corner. And if both of those guys are on the board when the team's turn comes to select, the stack should tell them who to select.....

Today, we stack the players we profiled. Based on research on the players, conversations with agents, scouts and coaches and a knowledge of the Patriots' system gleaned from having covered them throughout the Bill Belichick-Scott Pioli Era, this is how we figure they're rating the group we've looked at.

1. Manny Lawson, DE/OLB, N.C. State. His speed, ability to drop in coverage, special-teams value and high motor make him appealing.
2. Kamerion Wimbley, DE/OLB, Florida State. Not as fast as Lawson but meatier and like a hungry animal off the edge.
3. Haloti Ngata, NT, Oregon. Human eclipse. Would stack up the middle if the Pats had a need at nose tackle. If he's there (and he won't be), they'd probably take him.
4. Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa. In-season productivity makes pre-draft failures to impress an afterthought.
5. Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State. Neck and neck with Greenway. Not as productive a tackler but a better rusher.
6. Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State. The best of a so-so lot we profiled.
7. Joseph Addai, RB, LSU. Great speed, good hands, good guy.
8. Richard Marshall, CB, Fresno State. Production, ball-hawking skills and motor make him the best CB in Pats' eyes.
9. Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State. Versatility and production in run support and passing game are strong suit.
10. Tye Hill, CB, Clemson. Short and skinny but really fast.

If only that weren't Curran's stacking of the prospects Curran thinks the FO are seriously considering.

:yeahthat:

If only indeed... although at the risk of stating the obvious, if we knew what the stacks look like, so would the other 31 teams in the NFL.

Interesting that Lawson's on the top of the heap, also that Marshall's ahead of "short and skinny" Hill, with Cromartie nowhere to be found... of course, since it's the "ones he profiled," he could be just showing examples of how the stacking works, without accounting for the full draft class. And again, it is Curran, not BB/SP, ordering the stacks.

Now I have to say, once the draft starts it's like watching paint dry... but this board has me all excited about it. Keeping it on in the background all weekend!

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
:yeahthat:

Now I have to say, once the draft starts it's like watching paint dry... but this board has me all excited about it. Keeping it on in the background all weekend!

PFnV

That's always the problem. It's boring, you get, at best, 6 picks an hour. Especially if it's a nice day outside, I feel a bit ashamed.

The suggestion: One of my friends has organized a Poker tournament that afternoon. A stroke of genius. Doing something fun, keeping the TV on in the background, must be the secret to watching the draft and not feel like you're wasting a perfectly good April weekend.

The most interesting thing to me there is Addai being the top RB.

Too bad there's not a Curling tournament on ESPN8 ("The Ocho!") so I can entertain myself with picture in picture.

Eh, I have work anyway.

But seriously - I floated the poker idea to my usual suspects, no takers. They freaking don't believe the draft is worth tracking. Can't blame them. One is a Vikings fan, so you can't think the draft is a good time for him.

PFnV

The link isn't workign for me. Can you post the other 19??? I'm real interesting to see them. Thanks,

PatsFanInVa said:
Too bad there's not a Curling tournament on ESPN8 ("The Ocho!") so I can entertain myself with picture in picture.

Eh, I have work anyway.

But seriously - I floated the poker idea to my usual suspects, no takers. They freaking don't believe the draft is worth tracking. Can't blame them. One is a Vikings fan, so you can't think the draft is a good time for him.

PFnV

Only since you referenced it.. Jason Bateman was absol-effin-lutley HILARIOUS as the color commentator for THE OCHO!

Anyway, I have yet another argument for the wife about why we need TiVO!
badoop, badoop, badoop.. The patriots select.... badoop, badooop, badoop, the Patriots select..

I am on a posting rampage and gonna catch up with all you people with
5,000,000,000,000 posts in no time. Watch out!

Joe_n99 said:
Only since you referenced it.. Jason Bateman was absol-effin-lutley HILARIOUS as the color commentator for THE OCHO!

Anyway, I have yet another argument for the wife about why we need TiVO!
badoop, badoop, badoop.. The patriots select.... badoop, badooop, badoop, the Patriots select..

I am on a posting rampage and gonna catch up with all you people with
5,000,000,000,000 posts in no time. Watch out!

That's an interesting strategy, Cot. Let's see if it pays off.

Hmmmm...

dryheat44 said:
That's an interesting strategy, Cot. Let's see if it pays off.

I reply to an off topic comment, to which you replied OT earlier...

"That's always the problem. It's boring, you get, at best, 6 picks an hour. Especially if it's a nice day outside, I feel a bit ashamed.

The suggestion: One of my friends has organized a Poker tournament that afternoon. A stroke of genius. Doing something fun, keeping the TV on in the background, must be the secret to watching the draft and not feel like you're wasting a perfectly good April weekend."

So I hope you were pointing out that we were both off topic, not just me..:)
and we can laugh about it all later if I manage to get my damn TiVO..

I am afterall a very sensitive newbie who is never gonna catch up if you keep postin' replies to my posts! COT! Why isn't there a laughing smilie. LOL!

Joe and Dry were in the desert..
"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon"
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

And you wonder why we can't stay on topic....

Ochmed Jones said:
The link isn't workign for me. Can you post the other 19??? I'm real interesting to see them. Thanks,

The other 19

11. Jason Allen, S, Tennessee. Injury issues hurt this versatile corner.

12. Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota. The best of the backs remaining.

13. DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama. A tremendous kid and non-stop player who just doesn't have the dimensions the Pats like.

14. DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis. A good player, a little on the small side.

15. Davin Joseph, G/T, Oklahoma. The best combo lineman on the board for the Pats.

16. Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida State. Just not enough tape on this tremendous athlete.

17. Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State. Falling stock.

18. Maurice Drew, RB, UCLA. Everyone else overlooks this versatile, lion-hearted back.

19. LenDale White, RB, USC. Could use some of Drew's heart and less of his own belly.

20. Andrew Whitworth, T, LSU. Smart, versatile, durable.

21. Darryn Colledge, OT, Boise State.

22. Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech.

23. Gabe Watson, NT, Michigan.

24. Alan Zemaitis, CB, Penn State.

25. Maurice Stovall, WR, Notre Dame.

26. Mike Hass, WR, Oregon.

27. Jason Avant, WR, Michigan.

28. Steve Gotkowski, K, Memphis.

29. Josh Huston, K, Ohio State.

GJAJ15 said:
Once again TC has a great article on how the Pats stack their players for the draft. For the sake of brevity, have only listed the top 10 there are 29 in his article.

http://www.projo.com/cgi-bin/bi/gold_print.cgi

There are two stacks. The horizontal stack is done position by position. All the fullbacks are rated one through five, for instance. All the guards are rated onethrough seven, and so on.

When the horizontal stack is done, the vertical stack begins. That's when all the players are ranked one through the last guy a team would draft. The vertical stack is more difficult because teams are comparing, say, the fourth-rated running back with the sixth-rated corner. And if both of those guys are on the board when the team's turn comes to select, the stack should tell them who to select.....
Have any of you guys been watching the Sportscenter Draft Specials? A couple of days ago Rick Spielman (former Dolphins GM, now with ESPN) did a segment on that kind of draft board. He says all the teams use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News