PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady! Where are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if you have a marketing background but this is proven. People gravitate more to and believe dumb people than smart people. Look at Manning. He has this aw sucks demeanor Its worked for him.

Tom has the prom king thing going. Not good in this situation.

I think if he went a little postal that would so humility and perhaps might sway some folks to his side.

The problem is that will accomplish very little in making sure he plays 19 game next year. Now is all strategy and tactics.
Freudian slip.

It doesn't matter how long it took for Wells to compile it, it's still only 243 pages and can be consumed in a day. He's had several days so he could certainly have read it. He could just say he read it, it's garbage, he's going to put together a thorough analysis of its flaws later.

Instead, he said

“There’s still a process that’s going forth right now, and I’m involved in that process, so whatever happens, it happens, and I’ll certainly want to be very comfortable in how I feel about the statements I make.”

He also said

Gray asked Brady if the controversy has detracted from his joy over winning the Super Bowl.

“Absolutely not,” Brady said, drawing more cheers. “We earned everything we achieved as a team this year.”

Gray was booed again when he asked Brady if the Super Bowl win was tainted. Brady replied, “No, absolutely not.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...salem-state/Ic65EkoITeFDOEagEILzoK/story.html

That's actually a job well done on his part. Him, personally, saying more, when the league hasn't even reacted to the report, doesn't really make sense.

And "consumed in a day" is 100% irrelevant.

I have not liked his response one bit since January. How can someone ask you if you are a liar or was it a cheater and you answer by saying " I would like not to think so"? WTF?
This is surreal.

I know it makes us all antsy and uncomfortable to watch Tom being slandered w/o a direct and swift response. In a perfect world he'd respond with this incredible press conference and convince so many people they were wrong.

The reality is that public opinion has been raging against him from the outset due to the media, leaks, and overall jealousy around the league. A large number of haters have gone into full throttle and whatever Tom says is going to be dismissed especially when the Wells report indicts him (unfairly).

At this point it is better to be careful. I don't think the mudslinging can get a whole lot worse than it already has in the immideate aftermath of the release of the report.

We saw how Brady was treated when he attempted to speak out in the direct aftermath. He had no chance and he was blitzed by the media and pundits without legitimate evidence.

The smart move is to work with his people and fight off what seems to be an incoming suspension. There's no point in getting very defensive right now. It will be spun in a negative way no matter what he says. I think Yee has been expressing skepticism with the report but holding back a bit until they see the cards the league deals him with a punishment.

He definitely needs to fight this and I'm sure he will. I was pleased to see him at ease and smiling last night. That's the way to be. He and his people have a plan and I think they'll deal with it effectively and Tom will finally speak for himself.

I don't have a problem with how the Brady camp has responded so far. I certainly am when it comes to Kraft.

Instead, he said

He also said

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...salem-state/Ic65EkoITeFDOEagEILzoK/story.html

That's actually a job well done on his part. Him, personally, saying more, when the league hasn't even reacted to the report, doesn't really make sense.
Using measured words to a select audience is hardly a bold statement. Hes followed this advice the entire time and it couldn't have gone more poorly.

And "consumed in a day" is 100% irrelevant.

Of course it's relevent. The length of time it takes to read the report is a hell of a lot more relevant than the time it took to write it. It's relevant to the comment you wrote.

The investigation and report took over 100 days to be completed, yet people think Brady should read that report and respond to everything in it a few short hours after receiving it?

Presumably hyperbole since nobody said he should respond within hours.

Once the shyt hits the suspension fan, so to speak, Kraft and Brady should go thru all the old footage of all the different games with Mcnally taking the balls all by himself to the field. Just to show the Refs are lying about it never happening! It's not much, but it's a start.

One vote for dumb, I guess. Belichick must be an idiot because he hasn't said anything.
If that's what you think I wrote then you misunderstood.

I think if he went a little postal that would so humility and perhaps might sway some folks to his side.

Last time Brady went postal he demanded Bird and Jimmy keep those balls at the legal PSI instead of at 16. Look where that got him.

I'm wondering how much damage Gisele could do to the "global" NFL brand aspirations? She is Brazil's darling, which is a market of 200 million. She has enormous global cache and could probably reach an audience of another 50 to 100 million people with her connections. Tom should unleash hell. Let slip Gisele.

I'm wondering how much damage Gisele could do to the "global" NFL brand aspirations? She is Brazil's darling, which is a market of 200 million. She has enormous global cache and could probably reach an audience of another 50 to 100 million people with her connections. Tom should unleash hell. Let slip Gisele.
She just retired...

I have not liked his response one bit since January. How can someone ask you if you are a liar or was it a cheater and you answer by saying " I would like not to think so"? WTF?

Brady is very cautious, perhaps even tame, in his public statements. His fire has always been reserved for the locker room, practice field, playing field and so on. This is more of the same. Coming out with the necessary force is evidently not easy for him, and he's taking his time about it accordingly.

This is unfortunate, but I'm not going to blast him for it.

2 GAMES - suck it up and move on
4 GAMES - go apesh!!T on youtube and express feeling
6+ GAMES - law and order. plain and simple

Brady gets one shot where everybody will listen to his response (whether or not they buy it). He shouldn't waste or rush it.

Further, I'm guessing that the league is trying to plea bargain -- i.e., to find a level of punishment that Brady will accept without hitting back. I'll respect him whether or not the level he is willing to agree to is exactly zero.

Hadn't looked at it that way -- that is a fair point. While he can afford to have the first impression be bad, his first explanation cannot be. One slip up, even innocently, on the explanation and god almighty won't be able to change the prevailing view.

She just retired...
It was my understanding that she had only retired from runway modeling. She still has nearly 5 million followers on Instagram and 2.7 million on Twitter and was posting as of yesterday.

Gisele is able to reach as many low information potential fans around the world as the NFL front office is of reaching low information existing fans in the USA. The NFL knows the state-side fans will keep coming no matter what. What's unknown is what effect an internationally beloved, wealthy and media savvy brand can have if she (rightly) becomes irate.

2 GAMES - suck it up and move on
4 GAMES - go apesh!!T on youtube and express feeling
6+ GAMES - law and order. plain and simple

Officer pulls you over and says:
'The car in front of you was swerving and you just pulled out of a street with a bar in it. I don't have a device to blow you, but I'll take your license for two months cause I think it's more probable than not that you had a drink today.'

?Do you just suck that up and move on?

It was my understanding that she had only retired from runway modeling. She still has nearly 5 million followers on Instagram and 2.7 million on Twitter and was posting as of yesterday.

Gisele is able to reach as many low information potential fans around the world as the NFL front office is of reaching low information existing fans in the USA. The NFL knows the state-side fans will keep coming no matter what. What's unknown is what effect an internationally beloved, wealthy and media savvy brand can have if she (rightly) becomes irate.
With all due respect, suggesting that she can somehow influence anything or anybody to a significant degree in this matter is akin to suggesting that Pele in his prime could have saved Pete Rose's ass.

Using measured words to a select audience is hardly a bold statement. Hes followed this advice the entire time and it couldn't have gone more poorly.

It could have gone a lot more poorly.

Of course it's relevent. The length of time it takes to read the report is a hell of a lot more relevant than the time it took to write it. It's relevant to the comment you wrote.

No, it's not relevant at all. Not even a little bit. If it was just about reading and then spouting off, it would mater. It's not, so it doesn't.

Presumably hyperbole since nobody said he should respond within hours.

Actually, they have.

Last edited:
Hadn't looked at it that way -- that is a fair point. While he can afford to have the first impression be bad, his first explanation cannot be. One slip up, even innocently, on the explanation and god almighty won't be able to change the prevailing view.
This is it though. We saw what that sham of a "press conference" caused in the direct aftermath. Tom isn't perfect and even he could make an innocent stumble which could cause a firestorm with the way the media is. An interview w/follow up questions just after the release of the report is a bit risky.

I absolutely believe in his innocence but he should be well prepared for a response.

This is surreal.

He's very image conscious. He tries to remain as humble as possible and so instead of just coming out and saying "I'm not a cheater!" he says "I don't believe I am a cheater" because he comes off as less arrogant and ****y, he also comes off as saying he's not perfect and more human. So...
But yeah. I agree, I haven't been a fan of his responses lately. It's too PR, too image conscious, too, too something. It doesn't come off as genuine. However, he is being guided by his lawyers, image consultants and other people who specializes in this stuff and he's doing as told. It would be crazy if he came out like Brees did, blasting the league and talking all sorts of crap about the league. The public got annoyed with him and no longer cared for him. Brady have to be careful of what he says and how he words it, so that his words aren't taken out of context and he doesn't seem like someone too eager to prove doubters wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST