PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady voted 2nd best player in NFL history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The poll is inherently stupid. How does one objectively compare the "greatness" of a QB vs. a RB vs. some special teams player? How does one even objectively compare the "greatness" of players of the same position?

Stuff like this is just bullsh*t for morons.
While I think you're more aggressively down on it than you need to be--the idea of rankings like this is for fun, and it's an opportunity to talk about the history of the game and some great players--but on the merits I agree. Tom Brady vs. Marshall Faulk vs. Lawrence Taylor is obviously meaningless stuff.

While I think you're more aggressively down on it than you need to be--the idea of rankings like this is for fun, and it's an opportunity to talk about the history of the game and some great players--but on the merits I agree. Tom Brady vs. Marshall Faulk vs. Lawrence Taylor is obviously meaningless stuff.

Sorry, I've been really prickly since the Manning hgh whitewash . . . and since that New England Denver game officiating fiasco . . . and since deflategate . . . and since spygate for that matter. :mad:

screw em all

Troy Brown and Tedy Bruschi........that's all you need to know

If #1 isn't Jerry Rice, the poll isn't worth the bandwidth it would take to look at it.

Sticky Rice is #1

Jerry Rice is... i don't know...

And as far as greatest sports stars of all time, that's Bill Russell, by a country mile.

Russell is the greatest Celtic and Top 5 NBAer (w/ Bird, Magic, Jordan and Kareem) but greatest "star"?

The list has all sorts of issues, but I don't have a problem with Montana taking the top spot for now. He won more Super Bowls and did it in an era where DB's could literally mug WR's down the field. All that being said, Brady winning Lombardi #5, should it happen this year, should all but seal the deal on that conversation. Yes, Montana did it in an era when defenses rule. Brady will have done it in an era that was designed for such a thing not to happen.

Sticky Rice is #1

Jerry Rice is... i don't know...
Hes not.

No question he is one of the greatest WRs ever and his longevity was amazing but Jerry had the incredible fortune of playing with two HoF QB and a league All-Pro/MVP in Rich Gannon. He was also on teams with multiple offensive threats which schematically gave him more room to operate.

Jim Brown is not the leading rusher of all time.
Jim Brown only won one championship.
Jim Brown doesn't lead the NFL in rushing yards per attempt.

The notion that there's some amazing amount of separation between Brown and, say Barry Sanders (among others), is simply the product of nostalgia.

Well I only named him as arguably. I didn't actually put him ahead of Brady. Also though separation within position is one of the major indicators i use it is not the only one. I don't have an exact system in place. I don't hold RBs to the same standard as QBs as far as demanding wins and championships. A RB has far less control over the outcome of a game than a QB and should not be expected to win a SB just cause he is the best at his position. I think if you want to be considered in the argument for GOAT QB you damn well better win at least 1 SB over your career and probably more cause you are such an important factor in your team's ultimate fate that given a long career (which the GOAT should have) eventually you must be able ot break through).

Also though Stats are important they are not the only thing either. Other things need to be taken into consideration. BTW I have Walter Payton as the best RB of all time and maybe ahead of Brady as far as comparing across position. I would need to think about that more though to feel really confident it in.

In my first post I did name it as my main way to determin best player (Separation within position) but some positions IMO have had 2 or even 3 truly exceptional players at their position while some have yet to have 1 player I put in the GOAT convo.

I hope that makes my thoughts more clear. It was late last night when i wrote that so i was short and inexact.

Last edited:
Jim Brown is not the leading rusher of all time.
Jim Brown only won one championship.
Jim Brown doesn't lead the NFL in rushing yards per attempt.

The notion that there's some amazing amount of separation between Brown and, say Barry Sanders (among others), is simply the product of nostalgia.

You never saw Jim Brown play football.

You never saw Jim Brown play football.

I never saw him live. I've seen the available game films. I never saw Barry Sanders live. I've seen the game films/saw him 'live' on TV. I can say that a whole host of players throughout NFL history.

Brown was amazing. So was Barry Sanders. So was Sayers. So was the criminally underrated Earl Campbell. I could mention others, but that point's the same in the end. It's not Brown and then a bunch of slappys.

I can't think of a single position in the NFL where there's a huge separation between #1 and #2. I'm not saying that there isn't one, but a quick look at positions doesn't bring one to mind. Football's different from hockey that way, as I'd say Gretzky and Orr are clearly the GOATs for their spots, with nobody around for a close second.

Hes not.

No question he is one of the greatest WRs ever and his longevity was amazing but Jerry had the incredible fortune of playing with two HoF QB and a league All-Pro/MVP in Rich Gannon. He was also on teams with multiple offensive threats which schematically gave him more room to operate.

I agree he's not... it's a joke.

The list has all sorts of issues, but I don't have a problem with Montana taking the top spot for now. He won more Super Bowls and did it in an era where DB's could literally mug WR's down the field. All that being said, Brady winning Lombardi #5, should it happen this year, should all but seal the deal on that conversation. Yes, Montana did it in an era when defenses rule. Brady will have done it in an era that was designed for such a thing not to happen.
Brady has less to work with. And Joe doesn't have more SB than Tom.

Brady has less to work with. And Joe doesn't have more SB than Tom.
Guess I need more coffee. For whatever reason, I thought he had won five. Previous statement retracted. The list then has flaws all over it. To be expected with these "GOAT" lists, though.

after putting some more thought into this........to me, 93 of the top 100 NFL players of all time are Patriots

the other 7 are not that relevant but here goes:
Mark Gastineau
Otis Sistrunk
John Riggins
Dave Butz
Lyle Alzado
Jack Ham
Joe Piszarcik

Jerry Rice, Tom Brady, Lawrence Taylor, John Unitas, Joe Montana, Jim Brown, Reggie White, Dan Marino, Anthony Munoz, Ray Lewis.

Tough to rank guys regardless of position, though. Better of listing a greatest team.

You list Munoz but not Hannah?

It's not Reche Caldwell?? :oops:

I don't like comparing QBs from diffrent eras because everything was so different, especially the cap and game rules.

I grew up during the Brady era, so by default he is the greatest QB to ever play the game, IMO. I'm not going to be like certain members of the press (Stephen A, who admits he was too young for the Favre era, yet he's old enough for Montana... Go figure) and say Montana's the best because it gives me football cred and everyone else says so.

I've only seen Montana's SB games on NFL's greatest games. Given the WRs Montana had, I was more impressed with Brady's SB performance against Seattlw and his game against Carolina, with lesser WRs.

People are always giving Brady crap because the Pats went 11-5 with Cassel, yet they don't give Montana flack for his backup coming in and winning SBs in his absence.

The fact that Manning is 3 on this list and was not on it previously (nothing has changed in the past 5 years with Manning, so how is he #3) shows the league's involvement with these "votes." They probably surveyed more people in Denver and Indy than usual. I don't trust these misleading surveys. Another sign of this is all of the top 5 football "players" ever are all QBs? Another sign of the league pushing the dead rivalry between Brady and Manning. I can certainly think of better players at other positions that are better than Manning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back