PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady voted 2nd best player in NFL history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
While I disagree that Montana is the best player in NFL history I can at least understand why. He has benefited from being retired which changes how opposing fan bases view an athlete. Five or ten years after Brady retires he will also receive the respect and accolades for his accomplishments. IMO To most, Defamegate will be just an afterthought that was debunked by his performance during the 2015 season and a coffee stained resume to the few Jet type fans who will remain emboldened in their cheatriot delusion.

He Shoots, He Scores! Americans Still See Michael Jordan as the Greatest Sports Star of All Time (<<<< this is the link)

Greatest football player

Football has a new #1, as Joe Montana jumps ahead two spots. Tom Brady joins the ranks in the #2 spot, as does Peyton Manning in spot number three. Walter Payton maintains his #4 spot while Jim Brown sees a drop from 2nd to 5th. With two new additions to the list, two greats had to leave and those are Brett Favre (previously ranked number one) and Jerry Rice (previously 5th).

Few side thoughts:

1. Tom Brady ranked second to Montana. Manning ranked 3rd. (Poll was taken Dec 30th so not sure if HGH had an influence.)

2.Tom Brady ranked 9th in best overall athlete of all time. (How Manning ranked ahead of Brady and Montana in overall athlete and behind them in Football is strange.)

upload_2016-1-7_19-29-57.png

3. Obviously time kills prestige. The following players dropped out of the top 10 best all time athletes: Brett Favre (#5), Ted Williams (#8 – tie), Hank Aaron (#10 – tie)

To give credit to the link source:

PatsFans.com ‏@PatsFans 7h7 hours ago
WEEI: Poll: Tom Brady 2nd-best player in NFL history, ahead of Peyton Manning - http://l.patsfans.com/pseqw2s

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-7_19-29-25.png
    upload_2016-1-7_19-29-25.png
    116.5 KB · Views: 14
  • upload_2016-1-7_19-29-58.png
    upload_2016-1-7_19-29-58.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 13
Peyton is not #3 player of all time. That's ridiculous. He's top 5 for QB's but not all players.

Peyton is HGHGOAT.

He's a top 15-20 QB of all time.

Manning is not the number 3 player of all time. He's a top 5 QB, but I'm not sure if he's a top 3 QB ever (I'd take Young over him personally. Maybe Unitas too).

Jerry Rice, Tom Brady, Lawrence Taylor, John Unitas, Joe Montana, Jim Brown, Reggie White, Dan Marino, Anthony Munoz, Ray Lewis.

Tough to rank guys regardless of position, though. Better of listing a greatest team.

2.Tom Brady ranked 9th in best overall athlete of all time. (How Manning ranked ahead of Brady and Montana in overall athlete and behind them in Football is strange.)

That kills me. Erggggg.

Yeah it's basically a popularity contest which slightly hints that Brady's legacy was not hit too badly by the defamegate BS.

Jerry Rice, Tom Brady, Lawrence Taylor, John Unitas, Joe Montana, Jim Brown, Reggie White, Dan Marino, Anthony Munoz, Ray Lewis.

Tough to rank guys regardless of position, though. Better of listing a greatest team.

Most likely this poll represents the opinion of the general fan and not a hard core football fanatic.

brady needs one more ring to become the undisputed GOAT
even the biggest haters wont be able to deny it!

Number one has to be Jerry rice. The man played nearly 20 years mostly at an all pro level. With ring 4 Brady has already leaped Montana as 6 super bowls and 9 AFC championships is more impressive. I do think if Brady plays 3 more years at his current level with another ring he takes the number one spot.

If I had to do a team... (* means active)

QB: T.Brady*, J.Montana, J.Unitas
RB: J.Brown, O.Simpson, L.Tomlinson
OT: A.Munoz, W.Jones, J.Ogden
OG: J.Hannah, G.Upshaw, L.Allen
C: M.Webster, J.Otto
TE: R.Gronkowski*, T.Gonzalez, M.Ditka
WR: J.Rice, D.Hutson, R.Moss, C. Johnson*, M.Harrison

DE: R.White, D.Jones, B.Smith, J.Watt*
DT: M.Olsen, J.Greene, A.Page, T.Washington
LB: L.Taylor, R.Lewis, M.Singletary, D.Butkus, J.Seau, S.Huff
CB: D.Sanders, D.Revis*, D.Lane, R.Woodson
S: E.Reed, R.Lott, L.Wilson

K: A.Vinatieri*
P: R.Guy
RS: D.Hester*, G.Sayers
ST: S.Tasker, M.Slater*

Peyton is not #3 player of all time. That's ridiculous. He's top 5 for QB's but not all players.

He isn't even that. Brady, Montana, Starr, Marino, Elway, Graham are all ahead of Pey Pey. There's more for sure. Top 10 maybe.

If I had to do a team... (* means active)

QB: T.Brady*, J.Montana, J.Unitas
RB: J.Brown, O.Simpson, L.Tomlinson
OT: A.Munoz, W.Jones, J.Ogden
OG: J.Hannah, G.Upshaw, L.Allen
C: M.Webster, J.Otto
TE: R.Gronkowski*, T.Gonzalez, M.Ditka
WR: J.Rice, D.Hutson, R.Moss, C. Johnson*, M.Harrison

DE: R.White, D.Jones, B.Smith, J.Watt*
DT: M.Olsen, J.Greene, A.Page, T.Washington
LB: L.Taylor, R.Lewis, M.Singletary, D.Butkus, J.Seau, S.Huff
CB: D.Sanders, D.Revis*, D.Lane, R.Woodson
S: E.Reed, R.Lott, L.Wilson

K: A.Vinatieri*
P: R.Guy
RS: D.Hester*, G.Sayers
ST: S.Tasker, M.Slater*

Great shot at a list, interesting however that you didn't find room for anyone from the 5 championship teams of the Lombardi era.

Given the changing eras add spots for the FB which was a significant position and the slot receiver in the current era.

I would also see a place for Gino Marchetti from the Colts, Dave Robinson Packers, Mel Blount Steelers, B Sanders of the Lions.

Jim Brown and Tom Brady are the best players I have seen in my life (going back to watching football since the late 50's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back