PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady Restructures Contract - shifts $24 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
What risk?? If he's injured he gets his money. If he's not injured and he plays he gets his money and if the Patriots release him he'll hit the open market and make MORE money.
Either way Brady gets his money LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES.
Brady has never given back a dime to the organization......nor should he.
Enough with the silly Brady sainthood spin we read around here.

I gave this a highly deserved "Funny".

Well done!

Brady has single-handedly turned the Patriots franchise into a billion-dollar empire, and the 3rd most valuable franchise in the NFL.

This one is funny for a different reason.

There's a lot of Funny this morning.

In short, nothing has changed in terms of how BB approaches the QB position, yet we have to endure a higher percentage of people suggesting Brady will be replaced imminently than we have in the past.

Yes which is logical because one can count on one hand the number of highly productive QB's over 37 that have led their teams to Super Bowls.

I think with Grapes, BB was pretty clear with what the thought process was in drafting him. I don't think it was the same logic behind drafting KOC or even Mallett. Little bit different this time around IMO.

“The situation we have at quarterback, we felt as an organization that we needed to address that to some degree in the future,” Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said. “See how that all works. I think you’re better being early rather than late at that position.”

"We know what Ryan’s contract situation is," Belichick said. "We know what Tom’s age and contract situation is. I don’t think you want to have one quarterback on your team. I don’t think that’s responsible to the entire team or the organization."

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/05/bill_belichick_on_drafting_jim.html

Last edited:
What risk?? If he's injured he gets his money. If he's not injured and he plays he gets his money and if the Patriots release him he'll hit the open market and make MORE money.
Either way Brady gets his money LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES.
Brady has never given back a dime to the organization......nor should he.
Enough with the silly Brady sainthood spin we read around here.
Let me explain to you the difference between a hypothetical $24MM that he might get in Free Agency and a real $24MM that he would have gotten had he been cut under the prior contract...you can spend the latter, but not the former.

Here are the Cliff Notes:
The Pats no longer have to put $24M is escrow for Brady's fully gtd deal. This doesn't mean they are now able to give more money to other players. Kraft is worth $4B and they aren't gaining any cap space. It just helps their cash flow. They can invest that money in other operations and make a killing off of it instead of getting little/no return while it's in Escrow.

Brady gets a miniscule extra $3M and supposedly has more say over where he gets traded if it were to come to that.

So the $24 million goes to paying for that hideous "endzone lounge".

Rah!

If he gets cut teams are lining up to sign him for more than $24 million.
Don't be more naïve than necessary.
St. Thomas is not a fool.

This isn't rocket science, and his possible market is irrelevant to the terms of his contract. Again, don't be more ignorant than need be.

just making it easier for the two parties to part ways within the next couple of years.......if it comes to that........which it will

There is no doubt that a good portion of the investment in JG is the possibility of him being NE's next QB.

Right, but I think the possibility is overstated. I would expect a TB replacement to brought in 1-2 years before his contract expires - ideally. Again, I'd say his drafting was primarily about picking a QB2 - yes, one with upside to become QB1.

EDIT: @robertweathers has a couple good quotes from BB there which render my larger point as a faulty one.

Last edited:
Yes which is logical because one can count on one hand the number of highly productive QB's over 37 that have led their teams to Super Bowls.

I think with Grapes, BB was pretty clear with what the thought process was in drafting him. I don't think it was the same logic behind drafting KOC or even Mallett. Little bit different this time around IMO

Fair points - good find on the BB quotes. Those are telling.

I may very well be off the mark on this one, though I would say the folks on the other extreme are very much mistaken themselves. And the truth seems to be somewhere in the middle as you are advocating.

There has never been such a rule in the CBAs that have been in place since 2001
But such provisions are frequent in MLB and the NBA. Since such a provision is moneyless, could such a codasil be added to TB's contract, and go unreported ?

It would certainly make it clear for the benefit to Brady.

Brady loses this amount:

$24M - (the amount another team pays for an aging but healthy Tom Brady)

That total loss may well be negative, or what we commonly call a "gain."

Hell, if he's that concerned he could buy an insurance policy that would make up the difference, and I don't think it would cost anywhere near $3M.

http://www.boston.com/sports/column...ontract_restructure_for_tom_brady_plenty.html

"But back to the more likely scenario. Now that the money is not guaranteed, the team could cut Brady and re-sign him to a five-year deal with a salary bonus that pays him what many of his equals (and lessers) are making throughout the NFL. As the Globe’s Ben Volin notes in his breakdown, Brady is set to have a $15 million salary cap number in 2016. “They could designate Brady a post-June 1 cut, which would give the Patriots salary cap charges of $6 million in both 2016 and 2017,” Volin writes. “The Patriots could then re-sign Brady to a five-year deal through 2020, which would put more money in his pocket in the short term in a signing bonus, but would lower his cap number in 2016 by spreading the bonus out over five years. He did a similar thing in 2013, converting salary into signing bonus to help ease the cap charges.”

Thoughts?

http://www.boston.com/sports/column...ontract_restructure_for_tom_brady_plenty.html

"But back to the more likely scenario. Now that the money is not guaranteed, the team could cut Brady and re-sign him to a five-year deal with a salary bonus that pays him what many of his equals (and lessers) are making throughout the NFL. As the Globe’s Ben Volin notes in his breakdown, Brady is set to have a $15 million salary cap number in 2016. “They could designate Brady a post-June 1 cut, which would give the Patriots salary cap charges of $6 million in both 2016 and 2017,” Volin writes. “The Patriots could then re-sign Brady to a five-year deal through 2020, which would put more money in his pocket in the short term in a signing bonus, but would lower his cap number in 2016 by spreading the bonus out over five years. He did a similar thing in 2013, converting salary into signing bonus to help ease the cap charges.”

Thoughts?

Yes. Ben Volin is an idiot.

276 responses to this thread and still do not get it.. I am so f..ing dense when it comes to the salary cap, will have take it for granted that this is a good thing for the Pats... or will have to wait for Felger, Borges et al to completely to make me feel differently.

Brady will do fine and there seems to be more money available to keep this team intact. That is all I need to know....I do think that the #24 is significant.

Brady is not going anywhere and will be the face of this franchise for many years to come.. kinda like John Elway, maybe not in a GM role.. but will be associated with Mr. Kraft in some capacity.

If Ben Volin sets about each day trying to be a little bit worse at his job than he was the day before, then he is succeeding.

Thoughts?

I can see it now.

"NFL v "New England Patriots & Tom Brady". Argument: Collusion

Volin should be working for ProFootballTalk. My god.

"What a stupid, idiotic thing to say"- Curt Schilling

But such provisions are frequent in MLB and the NBA. Since such a provision is moneyless, could such a codasil be added to TB's contract, and go unreported ?

It would certainly make it clear for the benefit to Brady.

The CBA is clear in what can be in a contract and what cannot be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back