PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady doesn't think you should care about football...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that's a reach.

He's saying that there is more to Football, simply put. Football is his job and he's seeing past that. Tom's not the robot football player that appears on Sunday and disappears on Monday night. He's got a life and there are more important things to him than just Tom Brady the football player.

Don't hate on him or hold him to a high standard because he makes a lot of money, that's irrelevant to the discussion.

If you want to hold him to a standard that is set by the fact that he's a public figure, ok thats fine. But he shys away from all that, he wants to be a regular guy after it's all said and done on Sunday.

And don't bring up all the paparazzi pictures, he wants that about as much as you want a box of rocks - and don't bring up Giselle, he does not want that exposure either.

I enjoyed your response, but I do hope, and believe he does, that he respects the game and most of all the fans that have brought him..well everything

Last edited:
Read between the lines of the quote...

hes making his stand as a man of strong religious beliefs as God being his ultimate higher power...that's fine. His interpretation of said religion is one where football is of no importance..understandable. He then goes on to say that fans shouldn't care for football as it is really has no value on God's grand scale...fine, understandable....

Guess what Tom, your still making an unbelievable amount of cash every single year completely as a result of the game your playing. Because of who? Us, the fan populace...The ones who are providing you with the life that so many would give up their limbs for...and he still continues to play, with both the savvy that God doesn't care and neither should we..to reap the benefits of playing such a trivial game.

maybe you understand where I'm coming from now?

although its irrelavant to the point..i don't believe in God, but Tommy does, and should act accordingly

And so what? He's saying he SHOULDN'T be making that much. He completely disagrees with a system in which some entertainers make more in a year than 15 families will make in a lifetime.

He's right!

I enjoyed your response, but I do hope, and believe he does, that he respects the game and most of all the fans that have brought him..well everything

And, what if he doesn't? What if he believes the fans spend too much of their hard earned money on sports?

So what if he believes that?

And so what? He's saying he SHOULDN'T be making that much. He completely disagrees with a system in which some entertainers make more in a year than 15 families will make in a lifetime.

He's right!

RIGHT! He shouldn't be blasting a system of which he is taking full-advantage! Don't bite the hand that feeds..and in the case feeds and feeds and feeds and...

And, what if he doesn't? What if he believes the fans spend too much of their hard earned money on sports?

So what if he believes that?

Hey, your opinion. I don't like when people take my money and laugh in my face..maybe you don't mind..whatever floats the boat

I can unequivocally tell you that he does and as an aside I will say that I did enjoy the article because I felt it gave a little more insight into that day in May(As I said in an earlier post I was with Tommy about an hour after he gave that interview), I think that the writer lost his mind somewhere in the piece - I mean it reads like he trying WAY to hard to be profound and highlight his writing ability, ya know? I read that and said, "Yea, that's cool - but what the hell is this dude saying?"

Clearly not written by a true fan of the game or at least a guy with a lot of Football knowledge - of course that's just my opinion.

RIGHT! He shouldn't be blasting a system of which he is taking full-advantage! Don't bite the hand that feeds..and in the case feeds and feeds and feeds and...

You fellas need to stop the bickering. We are talking about Tom Brady, the guy that does not get paid enough (relative to his ability and position) and loves to play in New England.

You fellas need to stop the bickering. We are talking about Tom Brady, the guy that does not get paid enough (relative to his ability and position) and loves to play in New England.

Amen ;)

10char

I can unequivocally tell you that he does and as an aside I will say that I did enjoy the article because I felt it gave a little more insight into that day in May(As I said in an earlier post I was with Tommy about an hour after he gave that interview), I think that the writer lost his mind somewhere in the piece - I mean it reads like he trying WAY to hard to be profound and highlight his writing ability, ya know? I read that and said, "Yea, that's cool - but what the hell is this dude saying?"

Clearly not written by a true fan of the game or at least a guy with a lot of Football knowledge - of course that's just my opinion.

Yeah the article was good in general. At the same time it felt like he was trying to write some sort of strange poetry jam.

Yeah the article was good in general. At the same time it felt like he was trying to write some sort of strange poetry jam.

Yea, I agree. Weird.

"poetry jam" - Well said - Funny!!!!! :singing:

Good article, wierd but a good article..

Code:
]"There's one guy whose game I love. That's Peyton," he says. Of course! The sole equal. "Being in the system I've been in for eight years, with the same coach and the same offense, when we call a play, I've run it hundreds of times. Peyton and I share that.[/CODE

Interesting..... These guys must totally respect each other....

The thread title is misleading. It doesn't say that all of us shouldn't care about football. He is saying that IF you don't care a bit about God then you have no business caring more about this game, i.e. he is saying that you should care MORE about God than about football,

But if people don't care about him, if they don't see him as the putative king of the king sport of all sports, then why should people care about football at all? "They shouldn't...

Last edited:
The thread title is misleading. It doesn't say that all of us shouldn't care about football. He is saying that IF you don't care a bit about God then you have no business caring more about this game, i.e. he is saying that you should care MORE about God than about football,

No, that's not what he said. This was a tough read - no wonder I never get Esquire. But you need to read it again. He was saying in the grander scheme of things football is just a game (and for him a job). What's the old adage, it's not like they're finding a cure for cancer...

Tough as this guy is to read, in the end he got it. It's still somewhat foreign to him, but he got the essence of what Brady is really about and what makes him tick:

"How do you answer a nation of know-it-alls? Tom Brady cannot. Instead he arms himself, reminds himself to speak clearly, to take nothing personally, to make his best effort. Just decisions. Good ones. And if the watchwords become the answers, if only for the time being, then they are just another scrim between us and the private truth of the man.

The others, the ones we know by a single name, won championships and converted that into value for themselves--something weightier than the mere titles. They snatched the throne atop the history of their games. They went for it. Tom Brady could win three more Super Bowl rings to go with the three he has, and you get the feeling all he'd do is treat himself to dessert. This car ride, this photo shoot, this cover of a magazine--none of it was his idea. The work it would take to alchemize the talent and the looks and the girlfriend and the fame is not unimaginable; it's simply not the work that interests Tom Brady. He is not the man who would be king. Being king concerns something larger than a blessed arm, steadiness in the pocket, preternatural eye-hand coordination. Tom Brady is more like the man who would be executive vice-president in charge of sales. That much might please him. And he'd be good at it, too. His sales force would be plenty inspired by that Toltec stuff. He would sell the **** out of whatever it was, and with the job done, he would go home. Let some other sucker be the boss. Tom Brady doesn't need to be the greatest. He's content to be the best."

I just assumed that Tom Brady was god.

Hey, your opinion. I don't like when people take my money and laugh in my face..maybe you don't mind..whatever floats the boat

He's not laughing in your face. Why are you taking it so personally?

He's saying you shouldn't invest so much in it. What if he's of the opinion that you should only spend half as much time concerned with football? What if he's of the opinion that the league isn't nearly as important as we make it out to be?

How is that laughing in YOUR face?

You need to develop some thicker skin if what he said offended you. He was just telling the truth.

You are misreading that quote. The pronoun is in reference to Tom Brady, not God.

Also, the inclusion of Tony Dungy in the group of people who think God cares about football is unfortunate. Dungy is a self-righteous, sanctimonious and hate-filled dinghole, but he does have some perspective regarding football the game. He's said as much (and, honestly, does this surprise you? :D).

Brady was trying to say this 3 years ago during this 60 Minutes Interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4LzpZrgYVA

There is more to life than football, Brady has reached the pinnacle and is still looking for more.

On a philosophical note, football is very miniscule in the big scheme of things. Then again the big scheme is so overwhelming that sometimes you just need to find something simple to latch onto and enjoy.

On a selfish note, I hope Tom waits a few more years before he goes Shirley Maclaine on us. Then he can do whatever he wants.

Athletes are better off not bringing up God at all. If there is a God we sure the heck don't know what he cares about. Some people would say he is all good and all powerful but it's not like he is swooping in and saving us from natural disasters or murderers. <g>

Quite a reach you're trying for. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes