PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

To Belichick It's About the Player Not The Position

The same way a lot of basketball guys get drafted into Tight end positions who have had little prior experience as a Tight End.

It's doable, and Tebow is athletic and strong enough to pull it off depending on his catching skills. Plus, one he has the ball in his hands in the secondary.... I think he'd actually do well. Doubt he'll be anywhere as good as Gronkowski, but I disagree with this idea that he can't make a change in position to TE.

It doesn't even have to be a permanent change. Tebow could be a versitile player.

Let me take a wild guess as to when and why you decided to join up here.

Basketball players get drafted as TE's because 1) they're big, bigger than 6'5", 2) they're use to catching balls (rebounding) with their hands and 3) they're experienced running "routes" (while different than FB routes the principles are similar). The conversion isn't that difficult and most of them probably played FB in high school.

And how do those transferable skills apply to Tebow?

We've had 3 open roster spots ever since signing him, reduced to two open spots today by signing the Cincinnati UDFA RB.

So how is someone being derived of a chance, when there are open roster spots?

Never mind that if someone better is out there and willing to sign, a signed player will be jettisoned in like 5 minutes. This has always been a stupid part of the argument- that any player on an unguaranteed contract with no bonuses at all is somehow depriving us of looking at someone else who may be better.

It's a boogeyman that simply does not exist.

What's stupid is people thinking Tebow with his limited size, skill and experience is going to be playing TE over any of the 7 already on the roster. He's a QB, and not a very good one at that. He's not here to play TE.

And how do those transferable skills apply to Tebow?

They don't. That's what I failed to include in my original post. Tebow is short for a TE, has never caught a ball with his hands and never ran any type of "route"

They don't. That's what I failed to include in my original post. Tebow is short for a TE, has never caught a ball with his hands and never ran any type of "route"

sorry, Sfpat..but you're wrong about that...I have a clear example of his route running and pass catching ability right here...

tebow-helmet-pass-9-23-12.gif

My first post about TT. I have no idea what BB's plans are for him here. And I agree with a lot of posts here. But, I like the idea that we don't know, along with the rest of the league, e.g. Vrabel, Troy Brown... I have no issue with Tebow being used in any way BB see's fit. Hopefully totally off the wall.

sorry, Sfpat..but you're wrong about that...I have a clear example of his route running and pass catching ability right here...

tebow-helmet-pass-9-23-12.gif

Actually, this just further proves my point. Doesn't know how to run routes or catch with his hands

oh yes..it absolutely proves your point...you just THOUGHT there was no evidence that you were right...but as you can plainly see,the clip is factual evidence that what YOU say is true and whatever the T-troll is saying is false...:)

oh yes..it absolutely proves your point...you just THOUGHT there was no evidence that you were right...but as you can plainly see,the clip is factual evidence that what YOU say is true and whatever the T-troll is saying is false...:)

Joker,
I personally am not sure what your factual evidence shows. Does it show:

A. a guy who didnt turn his head quick enough around to get a pass (not a good wr).

B. a guy who ran the exact same route as in practice and tried to maintain position-spacing on the DB so he couldn't jump the route and take a pick-6; but the QB threw an errant pass that was high and too far forward (downfield) for the 'wr' to get his arms up 'behind his head and catch the ball.

C. A guy who ran the exactly right route and on time; but was thrown an INTENTIONALLY BAD pass by the QB to make his main competition look bad?

Without having watched the Jesters at practice (an item which if forced to do I would equivicate to "a Clockwork Orange" or "the Spanish Inquisition"); I don't know which of the above is possibly TRUE.

I dont believe for a second that Tebow is a TE / WR in the making. But I wouldn't take any route that he ran with SANCHIZE on the other end of the operation as any sort of evidence PRO or CONTRA.

And if I had to lay odds I would say that Sanchize is NOT that good to do option C; but is bad enough that option B is very very likely.

Joker,
I personally am not sure what your factual evidence shows. Does it show:

A. a guy who didnt turn his head quick enough around to get a pass (not a good wr).

B. a guy who ran the exact same route as in practice and tried to maintain position-spacing on the DB so he couldn't jump the route and take a pick-6; but the QB threw an errant pass that was high and too far forward (downfield) for the 'wr' to get his arms up 'behind his head and catch the ball.

C. A guy who ran the exactly right route and on time; but was thrown an INTENTIONALLY BAD pass by the QB to make his main competition look bad?

Without having watched the Jesters at practice (an item which if forced to do I would equivicate to "a Clockwork Orange" or "the Spanish Inquisition"); I don't know which of the above is possibly TRUE.

I dont believe for a second that Tebow is a TE / WR in the making. But I wouldn't take any route that he ran with SANCHIZE on the other end of the operation as any sort of evidence PRO or CONTRA.

And if I had to lay odds I would say that Sanchize is NOT that good to do option C; but is bad enough that option B is very very likely.

It was A. Most WRs would have caught that. Throw could have been thrown slightly better, but Tebow flat out had no idea the ball had been thrown until too late. Chalk it up to inexperience on the part of Tebow. I mean, how many times do you think the Jets had him practice that? Maybe once? One of their former coaches said they rarely practiced the plays he DID run.

I don't think one failed play proves he can't be a TE but much like his skills at QB, they are very raw and needs a lot of work.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back