PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time to Rethink "Roughing the Passer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Something needs to be done. I know that the quarterbacks are the marquee players of the NFL, but something needs to be done about these "Roughing the Passer" penalties. Time and time again we have seen very 'ticky tac' falls called that have had major implications in the game.

Another one occured during tonight's Monday night game GB-SEA in which the Packers, down by three in the fourth, were flagged for roughing the passer on 3rd and ten. Should have been a punt, a one possession game, and plenty of time left for Green Bay. There was NO infraction on the play. He was called for hitting Hasselbeck in the head. Replays show that he NEVER even touched him in the head. As these things always work out, Seattle get 15 yards and eventually scores a touchdown to end the game.

Earlier this year we saw the BUCS given a victory in a game over the Bengals. the Bengals were flagged for a pathetic roughing the passer call in a critical spot of the Bucs game winning, last second drive.

As bad as the Pats were against hte Jets the last time around, it should have been worse. The Jets had an interception taken away at the end of the first half because of a roughing the passer penalty. I was happy about hte call due to my obsession with the Pats, but I realize that it is a harsh penalty for such a judgement call. On that play the Jets player made a clean hit but was called for landing on the Brady. "You cannot use the quarterback to break your fall" While I think the intetion of hte rule is good, I think it is unreasonable.

We even saw yesterday that the Giants DE (can't spell his name) let Vince young go in fear of being flagged for roughing the passer (supposedly he thought he heard a whistle, in which a continuation of hte tackle would be roughing the passer and an automatic first down).

If these calls are going to be so ticky-tac, make a five yard (not automatic first down) penalty that can get the point across but NOT be the deciding factor in deciding who wins the games.

ok, now that I have that off my chest, now to those bogus pass interference calls.........

As long are investing MILLION$$$$$$$$$$ in these players-there are going to be so many ticky-tac rules you can poke holes through.

A couple of years from now-we're going to have flag football instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back