PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tight End Rankings and Scouting Reports:

I would be happy if we could grab ASJ/Nicklas in the early rounds and use a 6th or 7th on Lyerla.

My favs in this order are: ASJ, Marcel Jensen, Ebron, Niklas, Grimble. I am not completely sold on anyone else. Fwiw, I am extremely underwhelmed by Amaro. I think he is just a product of the system.

Watched a lot more film on Nicklas, I am very impressed by this kid's athleticism for someone his size. Moves a lot better than a lot of the other tight ends in the class, even though he is the biggest. He has a huge catch radius.

Would love to pair him with Gronk; creates so many mismatches. Both great run blockers and receivers.

Do you think he is around when he pick in the second or would we have to move up? IMO first two picks should either be G/TE or DT/TE

I personally just do not see the need to draft a tight end in the first 1-3 rounds of the draft. We have the best tight end in the game and I do not think he will miss any time in 2014 due to the knee injury, so to use a top pick on the position is not what I would do. I believe we need to replace Hernandez, and I think Trey Burton could be that player.

I would draft Duncan at #126 and Burton at #182 or #190, sign Scott Chandler and either try to sign Garrett Graham for cheap or retain Hoomanawanui.

The write up was excellent and I do appreciate the OP putting in the time.

Y-TE – Gronkowski, Chandler, Duncan
Flex-TE – Burton, Harrison

See B6, I'm the complete opposite.

I think TE, even with Gronk is our biggest need. Our bread and butter on offense is a 2 TE set. We have Gronk, but its not for certain hell be ready to start the season. After Gronk last year, we were basically anemic from that position. So not only do we need to replace Hernandez, but there needs to be a plan B in case Gronk misses more time. And besides, in this offense, a TE is way more important than a WR. There's a reason BB paid Gronk and the prisoner multi million dollar deals way before he had too.

As am I. Disappointed for you and the hard work you've put in. But this is a defense obsessed board this year. If you write about defense (safety/DT) I'm sure you'll get a response.

I promise that I'm enjoying your posts so keep plugging away.

I'll tell you what, I'm actually surprised so many people think DT such a dire need. As long as Wilfork and Kelly are on the books, plus Siliga showed a lot of promise last year along with Chris Jones and we still have Vellano, and the unknown with Armstead. I just don't see DT as a need.

Now if we cut one of VW or TK I might think differently, but ill probably still view TE as a bigger need.

I know from my previous posts that people were looking forward to seeing my take on the TE position, so here it is. As always, I hope this sparks some good conversations and debate. I am sure most will not have to look further than my #3 TE for that.

Tight End Rankings and Evaluations:​
#1. Eric Ebron, UNC:
Positives: Great size and speed for the position. A matchup nightmare. Can lineup on the line or split out wide. Very good blocker. Has large catch radius and presents a big target for QB.
Negatives: Needs to be more physical and learn to use his size to his advantage more. Lack of focus led to some easy drops. Lacks aggressiveness in his route running and catching in traffic.

#2. Jace Amaro, Texas Tech:
Positives: Tall, smooth, fluid route runner. Elite hands and speed to outrun defenders. An oversized WR that creates mismatches in passing game. Tough and willing to run routes over the middle and fight for the ball.
Negatives: Needs to add bulk to his frame. He needs to work on his blocking skills. Reports of some immaturity and attitude problems could be an issue.

#3. Colt Lyerla, Oregon:
Positives: Physical freak. Runs good routes and is clean in and out of breaks. Agile for a guy his size. Above average blocker who plays with a bit of a mean streak. Soft hands, large catch radius and creates a big target for his QB. Plays with attitude and toughness.
Negatives: Won’t be drafted as the #3 TE because of huge off field concerns that most who follow the draft already know about. Drugs, leaving school, not going to rehab and tough upbringing may lead to him getting drafted much later (if at all) than his on field talent would dictate. On the field, his attitude can be a negative as well when things aren’t going well. Has to learn to control his emotions better and keep his focus on the game.

#4. Austin Sefaran Jenkins, Washington:
Positives: Impressive size, soft hands, creates a big target. Agile for a guy his size. Large catch radius and a fluid route runner. Good acceleration.
Negatives: Inconsistent blocker (high sometimes, waist bender others) but did improve this last year. Not as physical as I would like for a guy with his size. Lacks top end speed.

#5. Troy Niklas, Notre Dame:
Positives: Dominating blocker, good size and athleticism. Soft hands, physical guy who can make tough catches in traffic.
Negatives: Route running needs work, was used on a limited basis in the passing game, but the tools seem to be there. Needs to continue to develop proper technique when running routes. Does not possess top end speed.

#6. C.J. Fiedorowicz, Iowa:
Positives: Good size, creates a big target. Great in line blocker and can get out in space and block as well. Reliable hands and makes tough plays in traffic. Tough, blue collar type of TE.
Negatives: Won’t wow you with athleticism or speed. Limited in his route running and rounds off his routes. A less athletic version of ASJ offensively and Niklas blocking.

#7. Xavier Grimble, USC
Positives: Good size for the position. Good blocker, squares up with defender and keeps contain. Good in and out of cuts. Can lineup on the line or out wide. Soft hands. Lots of upside potential.
Negatives: Multiple injuries are the big concern. Lacks elite speed and athleticism. Will need to work on route running.
#8. Richard Rogers, Cal.
Positives: Good burst off the line. Athletic frame, good hands, can make the tough catches in traffic. Good straight line speed, can create separation. Decent blocker who uses his athleticism to get to the next level when blocking on screens and quick throws.
Negatives: Does not have ideal build for a TE. Lacks bulk. More of a WR type. Blocking needs to continue to improve to be successful at the next level. Concentration could be an issue as he had his fair share of easy drops. Route tree was limited in his college scheme.

#9. Crockett Gilmore, Colorado St.
Positives: Good size with room to get bigger. Great blocker who blocks through the whistle. Like another Olineman. Soft hands and can make catches in traffic. Uses size to his advantage. Has upside.
Negatives: Not a great athlete. Lacks speed and burst to get off the line. Stiff in his routes, more of a plodder. Lacks ability to get separation on routes.

#10. Marcel Jensen, Fresno St.
Positives: Long arms, huge hands, large catch radius. Soft hands. Big upper body and uses it well to shield off defenders. Smooth running routes. Big target who was under used in college.
Negatives: inconsistent as a blocker. Needs to get his lower body stronger. A bit top heavy giving him balance issues both in the blocking game and his route running. Can get knocked down by smaller defenders when running routes.

Just missed:
A.C. Leonard, Tennessee State
Arthur Lynch, Georgia
Jo Don Duncan, Dixie St.
Jacob Peterson, Wisconsin
Rob Blanchflower, Umass

I'm bigger on Amaro then most are here, but before he left Oregon, I thought Lyerla would have been the perfect replacement for AH. Too bad he's a dumbass. I've already put in my head there is no way BB drafts him, so I try not to pay attention to him, but the dude is a freak.

Amaro my guy. I see Jimmy Graham qualities in him. I know he almost never puts his hand on the ground, and runs certain routes, but the same can be said about Graham. I'm looking forward to seeing what numbers he puts up on the combine. Him and Gronk together would be a nightmare for defenses.

I'm bigger on Amaro then most are here, but before he left Oregon, I thought Lyerla would have been the perfect replacement for AH. Too bad he's a dumbass. I've already put in my head there is no way BB drafts him, so I try not to pay attention to him, but the dude is a freak.

Amaro my guy. I see Jimmy Graham qualities in him. I know he almost never puts his hand on the ground, and runs certain routes, but the same can be said about Graham. I'm looking forward to seeing what numbers he puts up on the combine. Him and Gronk together would be a nightmare for defenses.

Yeah I don't get the "he's a product of the system". Maybe, but that doesn't mean he couldn't do well in another "system". Could other TEs have done what he did in a similar system to TExas Tech's?

Not saying he's all that, I don't know, but I wouldn't discount him because he's been successful in his system.

Maybe he's been split out a lot, but that doesn't mean he can't play in line.

Lyerla I would discount. Cocaine problems, can't take instruction, conspiracy theorist (it would be great to have him in NE explaining to us how the Connecticut massacre was a hoax and all the kids' parents are lying), yeah that's a winner there.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back