PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thursday's Patriots Links 1/9/14 - Wilfork Doesn't Want to 'Leave the Game Like This'

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Thursday's New England Patriots Links 1/9/14 - Wilfork Doesn't Want to 'Leave the Game Like This '
By:

Here are some of this morning's New England Patriots links for Thursday January 9th, 2014....

Re: Thursday's New England Patriots Links 1/9/14 - Wilfork Doesn't Want to 'Leave the

I believe that 2014 is our year to be the most dominant team in the NFL. I'm hoping that Wilfork will be the leader of the defense next year en route to a superbowl. He deserves it, one of the classiest and best Patriots ever.

Re: Thursday's New England Patriots Links 1/9/14 - Wilfork Doesn't Want to 'Leave the

People with better memories and better attention to detail can help me.

Has Wilfork actually traveled with the team to every game despite being IRd or does it just seem that way to me? How common is this?

Either way, major respects from me for doing so.

People with better memories and better attention to detail can help me.

Has Wilfork actually traveled with the team to every game despite being IRd or does it just seem that way to me? How common is this?

Either way, major respects from me for doing so.

I think I've seen him on the sidelines for most games, though my memory is spotty at best. It's very rare for a Patriots player to do this (even Brady was kind of sent away never to be heard from while he recovered from the knee injury). Typically they like their injured stars to not be distractions.

I think in Wilfork and Mayo's case, what they bring in leadership and guidance for the rookies filling in for them is too valuable for them to be shuffled away.

So, the leadership of Wilfork and Mayo is more needed that the leadership fo Brady?

I think I've seen him on the sidelines for most games, though my memory is spotty at best. It's very rare for a Patriots player to do this (even Brady was kind of sent away never to be heard from while he recovered from the knee injury). Typically they like their injured stars to not be distractions.

I think in Wilfork and Mayo's case, what they bring in leadership and guidance for the rookies filling in for them is too valuable for them to be shuffled away.

So, the leadership of Wilfork and Mayo is more needed that the leadership fo Brady?

I think what the OP was saying was that Cassel was a four vet when he filled on for Tom but Collins, Jones, Vellano, and Siliga are rookies and Hightower only in his second year. Both being equally as good leaders but there being a larger need for the players stepping in.

I got to be honest I am not a big fan of the tone of that article. Great to here what he has been doing to help out and all but while it is a realistic approach I do not like hearing the words retire coming out of his mouth.

And when you consider his cap hit this year this will be a real tough situation. We cant really afford to have him at the cap hit he has but how can you re-up if he isnt even sure if he can go. I guess you can be creative with escalators and triggers and what not but he has to be willing to agree to them or has to be willing to play out the one year on a reduced salary.

Hopefully they can figure it all out but I don't feel great about the chances. Not because I don't think Vince will play ball but because what he is due and what you should pay a 30 something player coming off an achilles injury are pretty far apart.

There is a much different kind of pressure on a QB, nevermind a QB that is stepping in for one of the greatest of all time. Jones/Vellano/Siliga, etc filling in for Wilfork have other vets on the line and each other. They don't have nearly the pressure that Cassel had, so having Brady looking over his shoulder was probably more than BB wanted. I don't see them as the same situation.

Re: Thursday's Patriots Links 1/9/14 - Wilfork Doesn't Want to 'Leave the Game Like T

As long as he is willing to Re-structure he will be welcomed back. But if he is expecting his full cap amount forget-about-it. The DT postion have some dept this year and with his recent injury Top DT Louis Nix should be available when we draft. Nix migh be ready for TC or he could be a PUP Guy. The risk is worth the rewards.

Yes*

*Because of other factors involved

The story I read at the time suggested that the TV coverage would've been brutal every time Cassel was intercepted or threw one into the dirt if Brady was on the sidelines. The camera would go to Brady every time to remind us that Cassel wasn't his Lordship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe