PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Throwbacks in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard the reason the Pats almost never wear the throwbacks, and that the alternate jerseys were silver instead of red, is because Kraft just plain doesn't like the old unis. Whether it's because they remind him of all the truly pathetic years of the club or just a color preference, I can't say. (I can't say if it's true, either, that's just a rumor that's been going around for years especially since the silver ones were so unpopular with the fans.)

Anyway, I think the fans will be very happy with the throwbacks. There's been talk of having a red alternate jersey, but I think it will be better overall to have separate looks. Personally, I'd like to see them do the 1990-92 style, which is basically the same as the 81-89 style except the helmets had red facemasks.

I also hope the jerseys are a deeper red. I have throwback jerseys for Cappalletti, Grogan, Hannah, Tippett and Flutie, and the colors aren't always the same. The Grogan, for example, looks more like a burnt orange than a red. Or it wouldn't bother me if they just went with whites all the time; for the old style outfits I think the white jerseys/red pants combo was the best.

Did some searching and found this picture someone made of what a red Patriots alternate might look like:

Alternate.jpg

Did some searching and found this picture someone made of what a red Patriots alternate might look like:

Alternate.jpg

First of all, our own Michigan Dave made that and posted it on the forum. Further, this is not going to be an alternate. It's a throwback uniform, like what we saw in the 2002 Thanksgiving game against the Lions. Or what teams like the Jets and Steelers have be using lately.

First of all, our own Michigan Dave made that and posted it on the forum. Further, this is not going to be an alternate. It's a throwback uniform, like what we saw in the 2002 Thanksgiving game against the Lions. Or what teams like the Jets and Steelers have be using lately.

I was just about to give MD credit for that too. It really is a sweet looking uni.

I was just about to give MD credit for that too. It really is a sweet looking uni.

I suppose. But I'm a well-known anti-red uniformer. The exact opposite of Italian Pat the Patriot. :)

I suppose. But I'm a well-known anti-red uniformer. The exact opposite of Italian Pat the Patriot. :)

I guess I must be part Italian then ;) I always got fired up as a 'yute' seeing those red jerseys, made me think of all the enemy blood about to be shed :D

I'm just glad their not going to wear those ridiculous silver jerseys. I hated them the moment I saw them.

Last edited:

Ah so. I love the red ones. I hate the old silver ones and I don't like the old school white ones.

I guess I must be part Italian then ;) I always got fired up as a 'yute' seeing those red jerseys, made me think of all the enemy blood about to be shed :D

Nah, this is a different user. Can't miss him. :D

I'm the same way. I never could get past the fact that it made no sense for a team called the New England "Patriots" to wear the uniform color of their enemy, the British redcoats. Plus, the fact that most of the pre-1993 teams were pathetic bumbling losers.

Count me among those who really dig the silver alternates. I have an authentic one. With the blue and red trim, they look great up close.

Last edited:
Count me among those who really dig the silver alternates. I have an authentic one. With the blue and red trim, they look great up close.

I agree with the latter. I have a silver Brady replica and I think it looks great on me, but on the players not so much. When they're worn on the field they look like the whites and all the players are sweating very heavily. (I speak from experience, as I was at the 2005 game against the Chargers where they wore the silvers. Ugh.)

Personally, my favorites are still the uniforms the team wore in the mid-late '90s. I don't know if it's just because that's what they wore when I first became a serious Pats fan or what, but I've always been partial to them. (And I also think Kraft switched to the current style solely as a gimmick to sell jerseys to help pay for the new stadium.)

Alternate.jpg
TB that was from a thread you started over at Patriotsplanet here.

it was the great Dirtywater who came up with that design....

Nope, that's from DirtyWater, not me. I had mocked up a different version combining the throwbacks and the current style.

im pumped!

me too; i'm looking forward to wait wich 2 games are involved

Pats1 mentioned week 3 and 6

i presume both will be 'home' games and probably the 2 opposite team will be Afc East ones ?

Maybe not necessarily AFC East teams, but definitely teams from the old AFL.

Come to think of it, I read somewhere that the Titans will be wearing Oiler uniforms for a game or two in 2009. Wonder if the Chiefs will be donning their old (Dallas) Texans gear as well...

Come to think of it, I read somewhere that the Titans will be wearing Oiler uniforms for a game or two in 2009. Wonder if the Chiefs will be donning their old (Dallas) Texans gear as well...

it would be great to see also the old Oilers uniforms

back to us i think that not so many actual Pats players have playied with the throwbacks (in Detroit, november 2002, there were i think 'only' Brady, Bruschi, Seymour, Faulk, Vrabel, Green, Izzo, Paxton, Light)

1) Actually looking at the 2009 opponents list, the only other team the Pats play at home who have AFL roots besides the divisional foes is Tennessee, so probably the throwbacks will be worn in divisional games after all.

2) Good point about the players who haven't worn them yet. For example, Rodney Harrison has had a throwback jersey in the Pro Shop for years, although he himself has never worn one.

1) Actually looking at the 2009 opponents list, the only other team the Pats play at home who have AFL roots besides the divisional foes is Tennessee, so probably the throwbacks will be worn in divisional games after all.

2) Good point about the players who haven't worn them yet. For example, Rodney Harrison has had a throwback jersey in the Pro Shop for years, although he himself has never worn one.

an eventual NE-TEN both using throwbacks (TEN with the 'old' Oilers one) would be awesome

let's see; probably when the calendar will come out we will know more

I would love to see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference