PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on "Running up the score..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Count me in with those who think the idea that the Dolphins are required to take THEIR starters out, too, is completely ridiculous.

OK - so we're bad sports if we try as hard as we can, but other teams are good sports if they take advantage of our good sportsmanship?

I just have a problem with that.

I'd much prefer that both teams give the best for the vast majority of the game. The expectations among other organizations that the Patriots have a responsibility to keep the scores close is what I find rediculous.

Guess I'm alone in that view.

Last edited:
Bad sportsmanship is stealing another team's signals, abusing their QB, and shutting them out as a result.

Today wasn't bad sportsmanship. It was revenge for last year. So a big EFF YOU to the Dolphins.

As for the Colts, yours is coming in another couple weeks.

Last edited:
I don't know what bizarre alternate world i've stumbled into when I have to constantly read about professional football teams being attacked for 'running up the score' on other teams.

The way I see it, the only teams that can be accused of this heinous crime are college teams - specifically big college's who mercilessly pound their smaller rivals into the ground - up 40 points and still they throw.

The basic difference is that is possible to have ridiculous mis-matches in the college game - but the NFL playing field is a relatively level one and each one should be approached with utter ruthlessness.

I cannot imagine ever having the balls to cry about my profootball team being beat up so bad by a rival that they required the other team to take it easy on them.

Why should the Patriots 'gift' the Dolphins free points - they were still running hard trying to narrow the gap - do we take 10 minutes off and then start playing again when the score gets close enough.

Utterly ridiculous.

Bad sportsmanship is stealing another team's signals, abusing their QB, and shutting them out as a result.

Today wasn't bad sportsmanship. It was revenge for last year. So a big EFF YOU to the Dolphins.

As for the Colts, yours is coming in another couple weeks.

you're an idiot.You really are an idiot. You're talking about strealing signals?? Again, why surely you jest. Again, you're a complete idiot. Wait, I'm sorry for calling you an idiot as name calling isn't allowed. So, you're a freaking moron. OMG, I just read your post again and realised thsat I was right the first time, you're an idiot.

Count me in with those who think the idea that the Dolphins are required to take THEIR starters out, too, is completely ridiculous.

When the game has been effectively decided, the priority for both teams should be to:
  • Get your key guys out of the game
  • Play it pretty close to the vest
  • Get your reserves some game experience

This HAS to be for BOTH teams! It doesn't work if just one side does it. You can't get everyone out of the game...someone has to play. If one side pulls back on the throttle and the other side doesn't, the chance for injury actually INCREASES! Who wants to get their key offensive backups killed playing against defensive starters who are all-out blitzing and lining up receivers and backs for kill shots to jar the ball loose?

Two words (and not the two that you are thinking of) for the teams that want the Pats to sit their starters and just let the time run out...

AFTER YOU...

Um...last week? Oh - and then we play another one, your femmy little Colts, in a few weeks, and we'll destroy you, too, on your home field. We'll be sorry to see you go.
LOL, win or lose, I'll be here;)

I love it! You better believe these articles will be up on the top of the Patriots bulletin board soon! Enjoy your memories while you can.

Think about this...you could't call yourself ColtsReign even if you wanted to. As we all know, a Reign is more than one & done!
Damn skippy man! And probably a bunch of negative posts on MB's across the country!! And some folks don't think BB is a genius!!

Running up the score is just made up by the same idiots who think the pats superbowl wins are tainted. We are talking professional football here. If a professional loses by another team running up the score they can wipe their tears with their million dollar pay checks as far as I'm concerned.

Like BB said, their was a game a few years ago where 21 points were scored in 4 minutes. If you're not up by 21+ in the 2nd half then there's absolutely no reason to bring your second stringers in.

Guess I'm alone in that view.

Not at all...but I have little different take on this. Belichick was seriously pissed at the Taylor interception. If that had been a backup DB, no problem. Once they pulled Brady, Taylor should have hit the pine as well. And the Fins certainly shouldn't have been blitzing like they were.

Belichick called off the dogs and they pissed in his oatmeal. Brady and the first unit could have burned up a good part of the 4th quarter and kicked a FG to end any chances of a miracle comeback.

That TD drive was a message. Not to the Fins, but to everyone else. Sit the fark down, shut the fark up, and don't even think you are actually in the game. You have to score at least 35 to beat us. You can't score 30 on us...and even if you did, we would just pop 56 on your ***** and crush you anyway.

Common sense tells us that isn't reality, but it is the perception the Pats are trying to convey. Perception is powerful and can affect reality. Teams go for it on 4th down, take chances downfield, abandon the running game, etc. Half the battle can be won even before kickoff.

Not at all...but I have little different take on this. Belichick was seriously pissed at the Taylor interception. If that had been a backup DB, no problem. Once they pulled Brady, Taylor should have hit the pine as well. And the Fins certainly shouldn't have been blitzing like they were.

Belichick called off the dogs and they pissed in his oatmeal. Brady and the first unit could have burned up a good part of the 4th quarter and kicked a FG to end any chances of a miracle comeback.

That TD drive was a message. Not to the Fins, but to everyone else. Sit the fark down, shut the fark up, and don't even think you are actually in the game. You have to score at least 35 to beat us. You can't score 30 on us...and even if you did, we would just pop 56 on your ***** and crush you anyway.

Common sense tells us that isn't reality, but it is the perception the Pats are trying to convey. Perception is powerful and can affect reality. Teams go for it on 4th down, take chances downfield, abandon the running game, etc. Half the battle can be won even before kickoff.

Yeah - we're pretty much in agreement... the rest of the NFL wants the Patriots to ease up in a show of sportsmanship when they have a big lead... but their own sportsmanship doesn't go so far as to acknowledge that they already lost.

The Cowboys did the same thing to a degree - not easing up for a moment (which I don't fault them for) but then calling into question our sportsmanship because neither did we (which I do fault them for that whining).

This is just a good example of why the Pats should not think twice about embarrassing other teams.

The object of the game is to score more points than your opponent and his job to STOP you. This ain't peewee football this is the NFL. You don't like a team running up the score? Very simple, STOP THEM!

My thoughts on this is that the rest of the league can go screw. Seriously. They've acted so off base and hysterical with the whole spygate nonsense that I hope the Pats go 19-0, win the Super Bowl 73-0, and call time outs to set up trick plays with seconds remaining in the game.

My thoughts on this is that the rest of the league can go screw. Seriously. They've acted so off base and hysterical with the whole spygate nonsense that I hope the Pats go 19-0, win the Super Bowl 73-0, and call time outs to set up trick plays with seconds remaining in the game.

AMEN! F' them if they don't like it. They are free to try and stop us if they can. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft