PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thompson and Dobson tied for 2nd with most drops, Edelman tied for 4th in NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet, history tells us that it is not the case.

I know the sample size should branch outside of the Pats, but I don't recall any other Pats rookies or second year receivers having problems with drops.

Catch rate is even more subjective because it includes things like passes defensed, bad throws by the QB and balls tipped at the line of scrimmage.

Nope, its not. The proof is in the pudding.

Andelman is the go to guy now and his catch rate shows why Brady is looking his way more and more. Thompkins catch rate is so low because Brady has targeted him more than Dobbs. Thompkins and Brady developed some trust beginning in pre season thats carried over till today. Dobbs was almost invisible the first few games this year.

The best NFL WRs almost always have a high catch rate. The most productive NE WRs and TEs over the last several seasons have ranked 66% or higher. Its no surprise to me that Welker is leading the NFL.

Nope, its not. The proof is in the pudding.

Andelman is the go to guy now and his catch rate shows why Brady is looking his way more and more. Thompkins catch rate is so low because Brady has targeted him more than Dobbs. Thompkins and Brady developed some trust beginning in pre season thats carried over till today. Dobbs was almost invisible the first few games this year.

The best NFL WRs almost always have a high catch rate. The most productive NE WRs and TEs over the last several seasons have ranked 66% or higher. Its no surprise to me that Welker is leading the NFL.

Dobson has passed KT, he started over him against the saints. And if you listened to Brady against the saints, he clearly has trust in both. And Dobson was on the same page, and really had 1 glaring drop. These guys are improving each week, and as long as they do, the offense will climb to the top.

If Welker drops a ball...it's proof he's washed up.

Welker has one less drop than Edelman and two less than both our rookies. (Actually, Welker had one glaring drop that went as a catch because it wasn't challenged.)

It's too early to draw much conclusion from this stat.

Dobson has passed KT, he started over him against the saints. And if you listened to Brady against the saints, he clearly has trust in both. And Dobson was on the same page, and really had 1 glaring drop. These guys are improving each week, and as long as they do, the offense will climb to the top.

Dobson had a pair of 'glaring' drops against the Saints. There was the first pass of the game, and there was the 4th down pass.

Dobson had a pair of 'glaring' drops against the Saints. There was the first pass of the game, and there was the 4th down pass.

Memory refreshed! Thanks deus. Forgot about it.

I hate to point out the obvious, but if the drops continue--how about a JUGGS machine drill for about 2 hours in the freaking rain? On their off-day to boot...

Somehow I see this improving one way or another.

I'm interested to see what Collie can do today with another week in the system under his belt. With DA out he should see increased reps

Welker has one less drop than Edelman and two less than both our rookies. (Actually, Welker had one glaring drop that went as a catch because it wasn't challenged.)

It's too early to draw much conclusion from this stat.

Yeah, Welker would fix some of the problems on this offense if he was here, minimizing the drops would not be one of those things.

Personally, I don't get all the talk about this. The drops by the rookies are skewed (especially in Dobson's case) by very bad performances early in their season in one or two games. Yes, drops are still an issue with both players, but not nearly as much as it was in September and probably even less in November and December.

Over a large enough sample size, catch rate can be a very revealing statistic. You're right, though, that 6 games isn't anywhere near large enough.

You can dice it or slice it or rationalize it any way you'd like. The bottom line is a WR is paid to catch the ball. Great ones do it consistently and make headlines, not so great ones and those that want to eventually be great ones, they make this list.

Would it really have killed our team for BB to pony up a little extra chump change to keep Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore