PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This team can't do anything in the play-offs...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As I mentioned in an earlier post, recent history (2012 Ravens went 1-4 down the stretch, 2011 Giants won their last 2 games to barely qualify for the play-offs at 9-7) as well as our own history (2001 Patriots started 3-4) have proven beyond a doubt that ANY team that makes the play-offs has a chance to make some noise.

It's especially hilarious because we're 6-2. Considering we were 5-3 at the same mark over the past two seasons yet went to the Super Bowl and AFCCG, it seems really premature to give up already. For those of you who are, you probably still think the Patriots are 4-4 after their losses to the Saints and Dolphins.

If the only division winner with a losing record (Seattle at 7-9 in 2011) could knock off the defending Super Bowl champs in the first round (sorry Pherein), there's no reason to think we can't make at least some noise in the play-offs.

I'm not saying we're the favourites, but looking further at the play-offs, I'm not saying we should fear anyone either. Right now, we're a half game out of the #2 seed, so a first round bye is still in play. I'm still not a believer of Andy Dalton, and Andrew Luck just lost his #1 play-maker for the season, so it's still very possible. Playing in Indy would be tough, but with a healthy Talib and no Reggie Wayne, I think we could hang tough.

A potential game in KC against Alex Smith isn't terrifying. And going to Denver would be tough except it's against Peyton Manning in the cold weather, where he usually struggles. Both would be very difficult games, and I wouldn't expect us to be favoured in either, but I wouldn't concede either of those games today like many already have.

The one team that could be truly terrifying at home would be Seattle, but we don't have to worry about that. And this year's Super Bowl is an outdoor, cold weather February game in NY. That could help neutralize some of the biggest advantages from some NFC dome competitors like Seattle and New Orleans. In that scenario, Green Bay would be the toughest competitor, but they still have to survive the NFC.

Again, I am not saying we are going to win it all. I'm not even saying we'll be favoured in any single game. I am just saying week 8 is a terrible place to concede the season.

Playoffs? Plaaayyyoffs? Wwwwwhhaaaaaaaat?

I need smelling salts.

If there's a factor that knocks out most talented teams it's the inability to win close games. We have flaws, but we've proven we can beat anybody, in my mind.

A real tough running team might be difficult, but we have depth at LB and with Kelly (maybe Armstead) OK DTs and good DEs overall. Pass defense looks great and our offense could likely be peaking come playoffs (that wouldn't be hard, obviously it's been barely adequate).

Without all the craziness and injuries, we looked to have a real talented team this year, so even with injuries, there's enough talent if we play with passion IMO. The secondary, in particular, has really come together.

Any team can win the Super bowl once in the playoffs. You only need to win a handful of games and if you get the right matchups you could win. Unlike other sports you don't need to win best of seven which would expose your flaws.

jim-mora-playoffs-o.gif

:bricks::bricks::bricks:

The thing I like about this team is the ability to win the close game. Every game is a fight and a mental battle. You got to like that in a team. With that said, the reason KC should make people worry is for that same reason. They are battle tested and know how to win the close game.

its only week 8 for crying out loud.

Let's access playoff run chances when we actually get to week 17.

Although it is waaaaay too early to talk playoffs, but in today's NFL it is the team that gets hot in the playoffs who wins the whole thing not the best team in the league.

looking at the rest of the schedule

Dolphins
bills
steelers
ravens
panthers
texans
browns
Broncos

I see two more potential losses,

fins bills browns and steelers are all bottom tier teams, the ravens could end up being tough. I'd say at worst we are 11-5 this year and afc east champs.

Playoffs? Not concede the season? Are you kidding? Come on. The season is over. Don't you read the game threads? :smile:

Dolphins
bills
steelers
ravens
panthers
texans
browns
Broncos

fins bills browns and steelers are all bottom tier teams, the ravens could end up being tough. I'd say at worst we are 11-5 this year and afc east champs.

I like our chances against all of those teams besides the Broncos.

But we lost to the Jets, so anything can happen.

I like our chances against all of those teams besides the Broncos.

But we lost to the Jets, so anything can happen.

I think the panthers run game will be tricky, Cam newton is very capable of throwing and running, so unless we put someone on Newton the whole game i'd expect that one to be closer then most people would have expected

I still feel very very worried that we're playing the Ravens again. Even if they are an obviously much weaker team than they've been in a while.

Dolphins
bills
steelers
ravens
panthers
texans
browns
Broncos

Jets can also be considered bottom-tier.... we saw how that one ended....

I don't think our losses came from other team beating us, they came from us beating ourselves... :rolleyes:

Jets can also be considered bottom-tier.... we saw how that one ended....

I don't think our losses came from other team beating us, they came from us beating ourselves... :rolleyes:[/QUO

as much of a joke as we make the jets out to be, they are built for the sole purpose of beating the patriots. So a loss to them isn't that big of a deal.

The jets go into every season with their priorities

1.)Beat the patriots
2.)don't get fired
3.)Tell everyone about how they are going to win the superbowl
4.)make the playoffs.

I think the panthers run game will be tricky, Cam newton is very capable of throwing and running, so unless we put someone on Newton the whole game i'd expect that one to be closer then most people would have expected
Do you think the defensive coaching staff will not realize that they need to defend Newton running?

I honestly believe we can lose every game in our remaining schedule, as well as win all of them. Before every game starting next week, i will flip my lucky charm coin and hope for the best.

Of course anything can happen, but I think Talib and Kelly or another capable DT need to be healthy for realistic hopes at a deep run. Can't rely on a questionable run D and 3rd down pass D like against the Jets and the first half of yesterday's game, then having to scheme around them. Those two will have a huge impact on both phases. Then if the offense gels over the 2nd half, look out.

from bruschi's chat

Chat: Chat with Tedy Bruschi - SportsNation - ESPN Boston
Tman (Belmont, MA)

What's your overall opinion of "the state of the Pats" so far? "Hard to complain with a 6-2 record", or "Key defensive injuries will come back to haunt Pats in January", or "offensive inconsistency will hurt this team down the road"?
Tedy (12:27 PM)

I'd say right now I'm worried about the team. I know they'll play hard and grind. The word is "grind" the rest of the year. But there comes a point where you keep losing guys and look around and say 'Who do we have left?' Now with Sebastian Vollmer down, it affects your OL and depth. Wilfork ... Mayo ... Vollmer ... I'd say good coaching can only take you so far. When you lose so many key guys, it's going to hurt you.

walt (NY)

If Brady goes down with injury, will Pats still win division with Ryan Mallett at QB? Do you feel his arm strength could be useful to establish a more vertical passing game with the young receivers?
Tedy (11:59 AM)

I feel like Ryan Mallett is a capable backup but right now it's no guarantee that the Patriots will win the division with Tom Brady. The Steelers won't be a pushover next week. The Panthers, in two weeks, look like a solid football team (especially defensively). Then you play the Broncos. Every team is going to be a battle for this team the rest of the way. The Jets and Dolphins have improved throughout the year, especially the Jets.

This is the most dangerous playoff team we've had in a long time. I haven't seen this much heart & mental toughness from a Pats team in almost a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back