PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This one's totally on the D

Status
Not open for further replies.

40yrpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We're not gonna win many games this year giving up 30+ points, 5 TD drives of 70+ yards, 7 or 8 big plays, 3 TD's on the same trick play, etc. The offense didn't contribute much, but they didn't put the D in bad position either.

I don't know who's to blame exactly. But from the top down, this Patriots defense needs a complete re-examination. The bye week comes at the right time.

Last edited:
I agree about the defense, they where horrible!!!35 points to the dolphins is very inexcusable.I think they will bounce back but seriously,they where on the field alot.This offense is very poor with Cassel.

We're not gonna win many games this year giving up 30+ points, 5 TD drives of 70+ yards, multiple 20+ yard plays, 3 TD's on the same trick play, etc. The offense didn't contribute much, but they didn't put the D in bad position either.

I don't know who's to blame exactly. But from the top down, this Patriots defense needs a complete re-examination. The bye week comes at the right time.
no team in the league will win many games giving up 30 pts. we are just spoilt by last yr's offense which was historic.

that was sad...

as a D

i am so glad every member of taht team, but especially the coaching staff and defensive players have another week to let this sink in and another week to think about it

they cant just "move on to the next game" this time...good

the lethargic play and playcalling in this game was awful

i will also blame the 12th man...ridiculous

Sometimes in a debacle like this you can blame the O for turnovers or bad field position. But the Phins had 5 TD drives of 74 yards or longer, we forced no turnovers, and made Pennington look like an All-Pro in his 3rd game with a new team. Plus watched Ronnie Brown torch them 3 times with the same trick play.

I've never seen a worse defensive effort. You'd have to go back 15+ years to pre-Parcells.

Last edited:
thank you!!!! the D was pathetic. We would have lost if Brady was in there and healthy!

Pretty much. As bad as the offense looked at times, they really weren't given much of a chance. Got within 14-6 and fins march right down to field for 7. Cut it to 28-13 and fins march right down for another 7. If we scored anymore I'm sure there would have been more TD's right back in our face. Cassell could've led us to 40 points and I'm confident we would have lost still.

i agree...they never really gave the offense much chance to keep up. the defense was bad today, which was really disappointing after the seemingly good efforts in the last two games.

i agree...they never really gave the offense much chance to keep up. the defense was bad today, which was really disappointing after the seemingly good efforts in the last two games.

the offense had a chance to score first and they turned it into an INT.

it comes down to redzone offense and red zone defense.

The offense wasn't good, and would have put up another 3 if you take away that early INT. But they didn't lose the game. Cassell didn't do anything that led to any Miami scores.

Pennington hardly even had any 3rd down situations. They were getting 8 yards on 1st down all afternoon. They were hitting big plays all afternoon. It was not a red zone game.

Offense never got a chance to get a rythym, because they were never on the field. Damn! Yes, Cassel definitely didn't have a good game, but man, where was our defense. How many times are they going to look at Pennington lining up somewhere else and not do something about it!!?
WTF!!

okay, bye week, I hope this a** kicking whips them into shape

Nobody blames the OL? Did they forget how to block? No holes opened for the running game and not better at pass blocking.

13 points would have won the last game against the jets, who beat the dolphins. the offense didn't play well, but the defense played worse.

We're not gonna win many games this year giving up 30+ points, 5 TD drives of 70+ yards, 7 or 8 big plays, 3 TD's on the same trick play, etc. The offense didn't contribute much, but they didn't put the D in bad position either.

Sadly, I think you can stop at ......"We're not gonna win many games this year"....
Hopefully this team can come up with some plan with Cassel at the helm and correct this emasculated defense before the next game.....but in reality.....pray for 10-6....9-7....

I knew our D would not be great this year, most of us did. This was a team that was hoping to be solid enough on D that we could let the offense do its thing. Even last week was not a great performance even though we gave up 10 points. The Jets called plays badly, missed a FG, etc.

The problem is that on a team where the O was expected to carry us, we've lost Brady and now the defense needs to lead. I don't think this defense is built to lead quite frankly, at least not enough to overcome an average offense.

When You count on them the most... "They'll Break Your Heart."

As a season ticket holder from 1972 to 1984... I'll testify to that!

Impeach Beli****!

I admit that I was surprised by the total collapse of the run D today. The much praised front seven and our aging SS should be ashamed of their half-hearted effort today. The passing D was suspect but I also did not expect an 85% completion rate especially with good yds per attempt even though I respect Penny as a QB. I expected more with Capers coaching the DBs.

Funny how the Jets signing Favre screwed us in a way we didn't expect.

THat aside, we now have weeks to think, analyze, plan and re-group as a team. How the 53 and coaches react to adversity will describe the '08 Pats.

Yes, the defense played poorly today. You're not going to win too many games when the defensive front cannot control the line of scrimmage, can't control the middle of the field and can't pressure the QB to boot. But today's loss wasn't totally on the defense. While it's true the defense proved to be its worse enemy by not making a play to get itself off the field in the third and fourth quarters, the offense did little to nothing to spell the defense a break or breather.

The OLine was manhandled today also. The Pats couldn't run the ball nor could it protect Cassel. The OLine has been having problems all season going back to preseason and some of this has to do with Neal being out and Watson and Hochstein being dinged up. But I think we're beginning to see that Brady actually made this OL look better than it really is.

Getting blown off the LOS on both sides of the ball invariably results in losses like the one we say today. The OLine was a big part of this problem as well as the defense.

Cassel and co also need to work on stretching the field and keeping defenses honest. But he also needs time and protection to be able to do this. As is, defenses are totally teeing off on him and cheating a bit because they expect the dink and dunk short stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes