PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This draft sucks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not as bad as 2007, which was a dumpster fire outside an Indian restaurant in Pittsburgh during a heatwave,

And you live up to your handle, even if that was a nickname for the OL. :rocker:

Lots of great thoughts and responses, fellas.

Good discussion.

Hopefully we get a few guys that turn this defense back into something much closer to what we'd like to see, and continue to build for the future.

While I haven't been paying attention to the draft like i have in the past from what ive read i agree. Unless someone falls I can see trading both first round picks.
Yeah,same here. However, I have a hard time paying as much attention to this draft BECAUSE it doesn't seem very good.

Lots of great thoughts and responses, fellas.

Good discussion.

Hopefully we get a few guys that turn this defense back into something much closer to what we'd like to see, and continue to build for the future.

Belichick's initial moves will determine whether the Patriots have a sucessful draft. If he waits until the 48th pick to draft a front seven player, all
the good ones will be off the board just like last year.

With regard to the 2007 draft, I agree that with the exception of the Welker and Moss trades it was a lousy draft for the Patriots. Wherever possible,
they dumped draft picks. It is interesting that the Giants remained calm
and had a good draft.

While I haven't been paying attention to the draft like i have in the past from what ive read i agree. Unless someone falls I can see trading both first round picks.

I can't remember where I saw this, but there was a rumor that the Pats already decided that they're going to trade out from 31, and that the plan at 27 is to get someone who's fallen further than they should. The plan could easily be to get one top-20 guy at 27 and then get the heck out of the rest of the draft for the most part.

Instead, the strength of this draft is the second to mid-fourth rounds, where there is a lot of talent, most with a few question marks or warnings attached to them.

The Mine
From pick #40 to about #75. This is where you dig for value and the quality of the team's board comes into full view. Where you will find both "What are they thinking" and "How did he slip that far" picks.

I really do not like the back end of the 1st round and would not be shocked or overly displeased if the Patriots made no picks on Thursday night. I can't think of any players at the back end of the 1st who satisfy the criteria to be 3 down players, with solid production over multiple years to go with the marriage material character that BB likes.

It seems this draft has very few scheme diverse players who are worthy of 1st round grades. Having said that, there is talent to be had at the right price. The NFL is morphing into a matchups game and depth in the receiving corps or secondary or the effectiveness of nickel rushers are having a greater influence than ever before. So while there are not many prospects worth premier grades, there are plenty with 2nd-early 4th round grades who could very much live up to their draft position because they fit the the team that drafts them.

The Patriots have holes in their squad for role players such as nickel rushers (both inside and outside) and could draft mid rounders who would be very cheap (if successful, of course) for mid round picks.

At CB, for example, there are guys with specific strengths eg. Brandon Boykin in the slot or Jayron Hosley in off coverage or Jamell Fleming as a physical corner who likes to step upto his opponents, and are suited for certain roles. As long as the selecting team plays to the strength of the draftee, they should be able to get a dividend for their investment. So teams will grade guys who project well into their system much higher than others.

The same goes for WR where there may not be too many "#1" superstar receivers but there are plenty of role players or solid "#2" receivers.

Bruce Irvin Is a classic example of a guy who could do real damage in the NFL but not for the price of a 1st rounder.

I am tempering my expectations for this draft in terms of drafting an immediate superstar but there are guys who can make an impact. I think the Patriots will have to wait until next year to get a real stud.

I'm more jazzed for this year's draft than last years. I can easily see the Pats picking up 4-5 players in this draft that will improve the team. I think there is decent depth at positions of need for the Patriots: DE/OLB, CB (and possible FS converts), WR and interior O line.

I can't remember where I saw this, but there was a rumor that the Pats already decided that they're going to trade out from 31, and that the plan at 27 is to get someone who's fallen further than they should. The plan could easily be to get one top-20 guy at 27 and then get the heck out of the rest of the draft.

31 --> 2013 1st and a 2
2a --> 2013 1st
2b --> 2013 1st
2c --> 2013 1st
3 --> 2013 2
4 --> 2013 3

:p

31 --> 2013 1st and a 2
2a --> 2013 1st
2b --> 2013 1st
2c --> 2013 1st
3 --> 2013 2
4 --> 2013 3

:p

The Patriots tried dumping all their picks in 2007 and ended up with a stink bomb of a draft in 2008.

The Patriots tried dumping all their picks in 2007 and ended up with a stink bomb of a draft in 2008.

Losing a 1st round pick in the infamous witch hunt didn't help either :bricks:

With regard to the 2007 draft, I agree that with the exception of the Welker and Moss trades it was a lousy draft for the Patriots. Wherever possible, they dumped draft picks. It is interesting that the Giants remained calm and had a good draft.

Look at who the Pats had on their roster at that point.

The Pats had eight LATE picks in a draft they didn't rate highly AND a team already stacked with talent.

As but one example, the Pats had Welker, Moss, Stallworth, Washington, and Gaffney at receiver. No WR they could have drafted was going to crack that roster.

I agree that this draft sucks. However, I do think there is great value at DT and along the OT and as the saying goes: the game is won and lost in the trenches. Expect us to take shots at DE and S in the 2nd round and later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes