PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This confirms it - Morgan is my man, now make it happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Over the past few weeks I've been hoping more and more for a trade UP to land an every-down impact rookie starter. I've been torn between Morgan, Haden and McClain, the three are #'s 2, 3 and 4 on my Patriots board (after Suh). After reading this article (via profootballtalk.com), my mind's made up.

Miami Dolphins news, training updates, injury reports, trades & more ? The Daily Dolphin blog Blog Archive Scout: Derrick Morgan “100 percent” the pick for the Dolphins

Could the Patriots land their elephant backer of the future all the while sticking it to Parcells and Miami? Count me in.

So what would it take to make this happen? First, assume the Pats trade no higher than #10, I just don't see that kind of cash/pick commitment made. That leaves Jacksonville and Denver as possible partners. A look at trade posibilities using the updated trade value chat below.

Big Cat Country 2010 Trade Value Chart - Big Cat Country

Jacksonville looks more likely to trade, as it wants picks and wants to save money. Many mocks have Morgan going to Jacksonville, though I see Haden and Earl Thomas as more likely picks.

Pick #10: 1100
Pick #22 + #44 = 1100

A perfect value match, though I don't want to give up that 2nd without getting a value pick in return. A 2011 first carries roughly equal value, but I see Jacksonville looking for 2010 picks, not 2011 picks.

Now to Denver. Denver's most likely targets are Bryant, McClain and Pouncey. One of the three are certain to be available at #22.

Pick #11: 1050
Pick #22 and #53: 1030

A close match, with a late round pick swap or token 7th possible to narrow the gap. I'd sure rather trade #53 than #44, as the talent on the board takes a dropoff around 45 or so. Also, Denver already holds two early 2nds, and may be open to taking a 2011 first rounder, especially knowing that division rival Oakland holds no first rounders that year. Combine the Belichick/McDaniels connection and it seems very possible.

Is it worth it? Will Morgan be that much better than Kindle/Hughes/Graham/Sapp/Misi/etc? Thoughts...

Never heard of him. :snob:

In other words, we're going to let Parcells do to us what we expect BB to do to every other GM in the league -- bluff him into drafting a guy he wasn't planning on drafting anyway?

Morgan's my favorite OLB prospect, but I don't think he's worth trading into the top 10 for.

Another plus for Morgan, "He reports a 3.8 GPA and a 1480 on his SAT."

Scout.com: Derrick Morgan Profile

Some scouts question his ability to play in space. I know Box says he's no worse than Willie.

I like Hughes on the other side because he's graduating, has better production than Graham or Kindle and better cone and shuttle number than both of them. Additionally Kindle has some off the field troubles similar to Dunlap.

The question I ask myself is would I have have Morgan or Hughes, Gronkowski with the pick used to trade up for Moran and then grab Daniel Te'o-Nesheim later in the draft.

When you compare Morgan to Te'o-Nesheim DTN has better cone and shuttle numbers, their 10 and 20 numbers are a wash, and DTN beats him in the broad and vertical jumps. DTN while not at Morgan's GPA has made the Pac 10 All Academic Team.

DTN also has better overall production.

Given the risk of trading up to #10 I choose B and use DTN as my conversion project.

Last edited:
Is it worth it? Will Morgan be that much better than Kindle/Hughes/Graham/Sapp/Misi/etc? Thoughts...

I think Morgan is a great prospect. I really like him. I just don't see him as a linebacker. I don't think he has the athleticism for it. He has the qualities to be a great 4-3 DE though.

If the 'Phins get Derrick Morgan I am not going to be a happy camper. He is very good and would look great as a Pat. Although I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up what it will take to go up and get him.

Above all though, unless he's in a Pats uni I definitely don't want Morgan in the division.

Last edited:
If the 'Phins get Derrick Morgan I am not going to be a happy camper. He is very good and would look great as a Pat. Although I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up what it will take to go up and get him.

Above all though, unless he's in a Pats uni I definitely don't want Morgan in the division.

How would you like something like this then?

Bryant, McCourty, Wootton and Misi.

In other words, we're going to let Parcells do to us what we expect BB to do to every other GM in the league -- bluff him into drafting a guy he wasn't planning on drafting anyway?

Morgan's my favorite OLB prospect, but I don't think he's worth trading into the top 10 for.

Football Outsiders would appear to agree with you. Interesting metric, not sure how much stock to put in it. Wish they had gone farther and evaluated some of the day 2 and even day 3 candidates...

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Introducing SackSEER

Football Outsiders would appear to agree with you. Interesting metric, not sure how much stock to put in it. Wish they had gone farther and evaluated some of the day 2 and even day 3 candidates...

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Introducing SackSEER
Velly interesting. Now that we've allowed a bored attorney to impress us with sack prognostications, at what point do we factor in the other assignments an "edge rusher" might have in a particular defensive scheme?

Of the top edge rushers by draftnik projection entering this year's draft, Morgan and Graham are the only two who play the run well. Morgan has also spent a decent proportion of his time in coverage and is credited with adequate instincts there by Russ Lande's team. Thus both are the two edge rushers most in demand.

If I were Indy I'd be drooling over this since I don't ask my DEs to spend much time thinking about the run. NE not so much.

Over the past few weeks I've been hoping more and more for a trade UP to land an every-down impact rookie starter. I've been torn between Morgan, Haden and McClain, the three are #'s 2, 3 and 4 on my Patriots board (after Suh). After reading this article (via profootballtalk.com), my mind's made up.

Miami Dolphins news, training updates, injury reports, trades & more ? The Daily Dolphin blog Blog Archive Scout: Derrick Morgan “100 percent” the pick for the Dolphins

Could the Patriots land their elephant backer of the future all the while sticking it to Parcells and Miami? Count me in.

So what would it take to make this happen? First, assume the Pats trade no higher than #10, I just don't see that kind of cash/pick commitment made. That leaves Jacksonville and Denver as possible partners. A look at trade posibilities using the updated trade value chat below.

Big Cat Country 2010 Trade Value Chart - Big Cat Country

Jacksonville looks more likely to trade, as it wants picks and wants to save money. Many mocks have Morgan going to Jacksonville, though I see Haden and Earl Thomas as more likely picks.

Pick #10: 1100
Pick #22 + #44 = 1100

A perfect value match, though I don't want to give up that 2nd without getting a value pick in return. A 2011 first carries roughly equal value, but I see Jacksonville looking for 2010 picks, not 2011 picks.

Now to Denver. Denver's most likely targets are Bryant, McClain and Pouncey. One of the three are certain to be available at #22.

Pick #11: 1050
Pick #22 and #53: 1030

A close match, with a late round pick swap or token 7th possible to narrow the gap. I'd sure rather trade #53 than #44, as the talent on the board takes a dropoff around 45 or so. Also, Denver already holds two early 2nds, and may be open to taking a 2011 first rounder, especially knowing that division rival Oakland holds no first rounders that year. Combine the Belichick/McDaniels connection and it seems very possible.

The only way I go up to #10 is for McClain. Morgan is not that much better than the other conversion OLB/DE types to warrant the expenditure.

After McClain there is no ILB on the draft board worth a poop for a few rounds.

I only want to draft him at #22 because his name starts with an M

I like Hughes on the other side because he's graduating, has better production than Graham or Kindle and better cone and shuttle number than both of them. Additionally Kindle has some off the field troubles similar to Dunlap.

I like all of them, if the Pats are sold on Morgan or JPP then hell yes, move up, better than 50 tradebacks.

What stats was Hughes more productive than Graham? Graham had 85 Tackles for a Loss, that is an amazing number.

Too bad Morgan is strictly a 43 DE...:(

I like all of them, if the Pats are sold on Morgan or JPP then hell yes, move up, better than 50 tradebacks.

What stats was Hughes more productive than Graham? Graham had 85 Tackles for a Loss, that is an amazing number.

Not JPP, please no...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference