PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Things I want to see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen it happen, but I've thought about it as well. I've come to the conclusion that the WRs are too quick to be able to get a hit that'll knock them on their ass

Getting the ball to start the second half is the only way, short of a turnover or OT, to give yourself a chance of having the ball for two consecutive drives. I remember telling some Colts fans during last year's AFCCG that it sucked that the Colts were moving the ball and going to get the ball to start the 2nd quarter because two good drives could really swing around momentum-low and behold....

2. Like I predicted the media focus on the Giants is in full swing. It seems every show has lined up a Giant as an in studio guest, with corresponding "analysts, that hype the Giants momentum and the fact that Eli has a better QB rating than Brady. Meanwhile any Pats coverage is religated to the stock interviews in the Pats lockerroom, in which the Pats players give their best imitation of BB's party line....in other words....NOTHING of interest.

I think it's important that the Giants start to buy into the media hype of their greatness. The more they believe that they nearly beat the Patriots the first time around the better (I don't count preseason games). Not to give them confidence, but overconfidence. That's not to say that they lack talent but if they overestimate their individual, cumulative team and (most importantly) coaching talent - they'll dig themselves a hole before the coin is even in the air.

I'm confused now. Can someone give be a definitive answer on the coin toss. Is it, like some people in the thread imply, if you win the coin toss, you have te right to defer to the second half, or can you opt to just KO and get the ball in the 2nd half, or is it you either KO or receive and the loser of the coin toss get his choice in the 2nd half????

This was discussed not that long ago, and someone posted the rules (at least I think it was here), and there is no deferring in the NFL. If you win, you must choose, and the loser of the toss gets choice in the second half. Which is the reason the winner in the NFL almost always takes the ball (except for some silly coach in overtime in the playoffs).

Last edited:
This was discussed not that long ago, and someone posted the rules (at least I think it was here), and there is no deferring in the NFL. If you win, you must choose, and the loser of the toss gets choice in the second half. Which is the reason the winner in the NFL almost always takes the ball (except for some silly coach in overtime in the playoffs).

Yup.

Coin Toss
Descriptions of the method of conducting the pre-game coin toss and the choices involved

1. The toss of coin will take place within three minutes of kickoff in center of field. The toss will be called by the visiting captain. The winner may choose one of two privileges and the loser gets the other:

(a) Receive or kick

(b) Goal his team will defend

2. Immediately prior to the start of the second half, the captains of both teams must inform the officials of their respective choices. The loser of the original coin toss gets first choice.

i'd like to use your thread ken, to ask if anyone has seen a team use a defense in which the olb lines up intentionally across from the #1 receiver on obvious passing downs and blasts the wr before handing him off to the db lined up in soft zone--thereby blowing up the route before moving to containment/qb rush

for example, every obvious passing play, have vrabel or thomas knock burress on his ass and then rush from the perimeter after the initial hit--this should cause sufficient disruption to cause elly to go after hot reads and check downs--which plays into an opportunitic defense's favor...

Excellent idea, FF. Actually IIRC, the Pats have used JUST such a defense this year. I don't remember the game, but I recall that AThomas was used to line up on a WR to beat him up and make it hard to get off the line.

It would make sense for the Pats to do that occassionally, especially if the Giants are using a spread formation, against Plaxico Burress. Burress wouldn't have the quickness by Thomas. Burress often uses his STRENGTH to get releases off the line, but that's against 190 lb DBs. He wouldn't be able to do that against a 270lb guy like AD. I am confident that Thomas could cover Burress in a 7-10 yd zone one on one.

The more I think about this, the more I like it, again, especially when the Giants are in passing situation and in a spread formation. It would really slow down Plexico's getting into his route, and give the Pats pass rush more time to get to Manning.

IMHO it is Plexico BURRESS who is the chief offensive threat for the Giants and FF's idea is a good way to take him out of the game.

Also thanks for the DEFINITIVE info on the coin toss. It was was I originally thought. Let us all pray that the ONLY thing we lose in the superbowl is the Coin Toss. ;)

You get a chance at an extra possession. Coaches have their reasons, but I ALWAYS take the second half.

Getting the ball to start the 2nd half gives you no better chance at an extra possession than getting the ball to start the first half.

The way a team gets an extra possession in a game is if 1 half has an odd number of possessions and the other an even number. The team that got the ball to start the half with the odd number gets the extra time with the ball. It is equally likely to be either half.

The team with the ball to start the 2nd half does have a chance at consecutive possessions as others have noted.

Also, in the NFL - coaches cannot "take the second half." If you win the toss your choice is to take the ball or choose a side. Your opponents gets the choice in the second no matter what you decide.

Last edited:
Also thanks for the DEFINITIVE info on the coin toss. It was was I originally thought. Let us all pray that the ONLY thing we lose in the superbowl is the Coin Toss. ;)

Didn't work out as you opined last time so I see no reason to hope it would this time... And even an extended drive that results in no points can effect field position for a number of series. No thanks, I'll receive and hope that Ellis gets a nice return on fresh legs against a jittery Giants coverage unit and see what Tommy can do from there. Even if we don't score we then have a shot at controlling field position...

I think it comes down to 1 thing.

Pressure on Manning = win

1. I desperately want to LOSE... the coin toss. The more I see the games unfold, the more I am CONVINCED that having the ball to start the 2nd half is an advantage. I've already gven the reasons several times so I won't waste your time repeating all of them, but I will mention one that is specific to THIS game.

The problem being that the Patriots have always had a nasty tendency to go 3-and-out when they get the ball at the half. It happened in the last Giants game, by the way.

The problem being that the Patriots have always had a nasty tendency to go 3-and-out when they get the ball at the half. It happened in the last Giants game, by the way.

That may be true, but I'll take my chances. There are a hell of a lot MORE games that are won in the SECOND half, then the first....and it just makes too much sense NOT to want the possibility of an extra possession in the most important half of the game.

I understand the need for some to think we HAVE to have a fast start. Did any team ever have a faster start than the SeaHawks. How'd that turn out for them. For THAT matter how did that fast start turn out for the Giants, or the Chargers.

For the record, this "issue" is pretty much a tempest in a tea pot. It certainly isn't critical or crutial. It is simply, IMHO, a slight advantage....and in a game of this magnatude....I'll take every advantage I can get. ;)

I understand the need for some to think we HAVE to have a fast start. Did any team ever have a faster start than the SeaHawks. How'd that turn out for them. For THAT matter how did that fast start turn out for the Giants, or the Chargers.

The Seahawks got the ball at the half, though. Them going up 14-0 was the result of early Green Bay turnovers, not receiving the ball to start the game.

I like the idea of having 2 offensive possessions in a row, if it works out that way.

However, I think that for this game, I'd rather start with the ball and (hopefully) score with the first possession. I'd love to see the Giants play from behind the whole game. That would put, IMHO, additional pressure on the Giants offense and Eli in particular. The game could begin to get seriously out of reach by halftime.

I know this is wishful thinking and as a fan that's my prerogative. I want to spend the second half celebrating not hyperventilating into a brown paper bag at the edge of my seat eyes-wide and 2 feet from the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST