Things I learned Sunday....

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
....or at least had reinforced

1. Our team is never as bad as we think in the short run. Consequently, we are rarely as good as we think after a win like this. ;)

2. I was thinking before this game, that it was like the time we went down to Miami in 2003 with several starters out for the game, and much to our surprise we came away with a win, despite the refs giving Miami several breaks (IMHO :D )

3. One the the things I haven't seen mentioned by the media was the impact of Randall Gay going on the IR...l.again. :mad: While they mentioned the losses of Wilson & Hobbs, they seemed to have forgotten that it was Gay who was the 3rd CB when the year started. So WE REALLY WERE SHORT HANDED when we went to Cinci to defend their 'juggernaut' offense.

4. Freakin' Hank Poteet - he came up big...again, just like he has every time he's given a shot to come off the street and strap it on for the Pats. For a very limited player (comparatively speaking) he just keeps on plugging away.

5. I don't care if the hit on Reche was a penalty according to the current rules, so I don't think it was a bad call. I think it is a bad rule. He hit Reche with his shoulder, and because he did, he CAUSED an incompletion. it was still a great hit and IMHO it shouldn't be called, just like incidental contact with the QBs head or lower legs shouldn't be called. Its one thing to protect the player, its another thing to baby him. Every new rule lately seems to be designed to increase the offense's advantage over the defense. Its getting ridiculous.

6. I just finished reading, Sunday after the game, "The Education of a Coach" No shockingly revealing for a big BB fan, like myself, but it was an enjoyable light read, and I recommend it. The thing that was reinforced after watching this particular read, was the comment Halberstam made in his acknowledgements at the end of the book. He thanked BB for all the things he taught him about the game and all that goes into it, and commented to the reader that he understood why he was such a successful coach, was because he was such a great TEACHER.

After watching guys like Britt, Poteet, & and the estimable Troy Brown, go out and perform at such high levels with little or no fanfare, you have to admire again and again, the high level of TEACHING that must go on in Foxboro, that year after year, allows the Pats to throw people into the fray on short notice, who not only survive, but are effective parts of the whole.

He uses the phrase 'Bellechick University' throughout the second half of the book to describe the many coaches who have been taught BB's coaching philosophy. Clearly ALL the assistants do a great job of TEACHING, not just coaching. Players who come to the Pats and work at it, generally become BETTER PLAYERS (just ask all the guys with big paychecks who have left the team recently. ;)

7. Speaking of guys who have left the team, I can't help but wonder if David Givens thinks the couple of extra million he got from the Titans was worth it now. It will be interesting to see if Deion Branch is happier being the #3 WR out on the West Coast. For that matter are Damien Woody in Detroit, or Joe Andruzzi & Willie McGinest in Cleveland, & Dave Patten in DC, really enjoying their football experiences??? (For the record all of these guys got fantastic offers that they probably couldn't turndown. Also for the record, I wish them all well, except for Branch who was still under contract and held the FO and his 53 teammates hostage for his own personal gain. If he had done the same thing in his FA year, I'd have had no problem with it. Again, JMHO

8. To those of you ready to panic over Gotkowski, take a chill pill. His KOs have been great, and if you go back to AV's rookie year you will find he kicked LESS than 80% of his FGs in his rookie year, and he had a year in Europe to grow as well. Be patient, in the long run, he will probably work out.

Last edited:
Is this the PFK from KFFL?

...and Body Language is overrated!!!!

Bobs My Uncle said:
Is this the PFK from KFFL?
Yeah, Ken posts here on occasion - and that other place is down right now.

I actually don't remember the Miami 2003 game but this one reminded me of the Rams game in 2003 or 2004 when we were really banged up and smacked the Rams around pretty good.

Of all the players Ken mentioned, Givens has to be the most upset about leaving I would think. Welcome to your new life, David. With the Patriots offering 3 year contracts to 27 year old FA, that seems like a GREAT compromise where they can stay with the team, win, get a lot of money and still get another UFA contract before their decline. I don't wish our ex players well. I don't blame the non Twig ones but the worse they do the more likely current Patriot UFAs may realize the grass isn't always greener.

Speaking of the Belichick University, I haven't worn my BU shirt in a while - tomorrow might just be the day.

Good stuff as usual Ken. And you're #1 point should be tattoo'ed backwards on the foreheads of many Patsfans. :D

BelichickFan said:
Yeah, Ken posts here on occasion - and that other place is down right now.
In that case, great to see you here PFK. I didn't realize you posted over here.

FWIW, PFK is a very respected poster from KFFL who has posted high quality material over there for many, many years. Having him posting here is a huge positive for this place.

Bobs My Uncle said:
FWIW, PFK is a very respected poster from KFFL who has posted high quality material over there for many, many years. Having him posting here is a huge positive for this place.
Now that's an understatment. When I see a lengthy post from Ken, it's time to go and get a drink, maybe a snack and know I'm going to settle in for a while :)

patfanken said:
Freakin' Hank Poteet.....
No shockingly revealing....
'Bellechick University'....
Gotkowski....

Hmmm....
C'est toi, Monsieur Canneberge?

Great stuff ken. The Miami game in 03 wasn't that the game that Troy caught the OT TD? If so that was a great game, I don't remember the ref issues either.

Wotan_the_Wanderer said:
Hmmm....
C'est toi, Monsieur Canneberge?
Wotan, are you Flagg ? It's hard to believe there could be two Wanderers . . .:confused:

BelichickFan said:
Wotan, are you Flagg ? It's hard to believe there could be two Wanderers . . .:confused:

Sorry, no. I take it Flagg's a KFFL'er? I only lurk there on occasion, and mostly in the draft forum. Also, didn't mean to nitpick with the spelling stuff. Nice post by Ken regardless.

Wotan_the_Wanderer said:
Sorry, no. I take it Flagg's a KFFL'er? I only lurk there on occasion, and mostly in the draft forum. Also, didn't mean to nitpick with the spelling stuff. Nice post by Ken regardless.
Yeah, he was Flagg_the_Wanderer, I think he may have posted here too. I can't believe we have two Wanderers :D

mgcolby said:
Great stuff ken. The Miami game in 03 wasn't that the game that Troy caught the OT TD? If so that was a great game, I don't remember the ref issues either.

A few ref issues from that Miami game:

* Miami "won" the coin toss, even though Brady called what came up.

* Chambers "caught" a pass in which he stepped out of bounds while the ball was in the air, came back in (which should have been an illegal touching call by itself) and then came down with both feet out of bounds in the act of catching. All of this happened with a ref less than 15 yards away.

Oh, with regard to the Bengal hit, I posted before that I thought it was a clean hit the first couple times I saw it, but then I saw a third replay from a different angle that showed clearly that it was helmet to helmet. As I said before, if you don't think it was helmet to helmet, you couldn't have seen this angle.

Oswlek said:
A few ref issues from that Miami game:

* Miami "won" the coin toss, even though Brady called what came up.

* Chambers "caught" a pass in which he stepped out of bounds while the ball was in the air, came back in (which should have been an illegal touching call by itself) and then came down with both feet out of bounds in the act of catching. All of this happened with a ref less than 15 yards away.

Oh, with regard to the Bengal hit, I posted before that I thought it was a clean hit the first couple times I saw it, but then I saw a third replay from a different angle that showed clearly that it was helmet to helmet. As I said before, if you don't think it was helmet to helmet, you couldn't have seen this angle.

Owl, your bitter memory matches mine. Plus,
i believe i had another grudge or two against the zebes in that game.

As to the hit against Caldwell ... don't matter whether it's HELMET to helmet.
ANYTHING to helmet - shoulder pads, fist, Haynesworth's cleats (oh, right, the guy's helmet already was off) -
is the play that is outlawed.

Sure, it remains football.
But don't we want all our warriors to come back
and entertain us a another day?

This is another thing I learned:

We can't really judge our team by performance vs. Denver. It's inevitable that we will play an ugly game. Not that you can't ever win ugly, but it's not going to be easy the next time we beat those guys.

flutie2phelan said:
As to the hit against Caldwell ... don't matter whether it's HELMET to helmet. ANYTHING to helmet - shoulder pads, fist, Haynesworth's cleats (oh, right, the guy's helmet already was off) is the play that is outlawed.

Exactly. The DB launched himself at a defenseless receiver and made direct contact on the helmet. It turns out it was helmet to helmet, but even if it wasn't, this play is outlawed and should be outlawed. Football can still be football without maiming (or attempting to maim) the opponent; make your big hits on the shoulder or in the gut, not on the head.

I didn't just learn this because I've felt this way for a long time. You never know what's going to happen in a football game until it's played. You may guess right once in awhile but most times it isn't going to go the way you think. I don't just mean who'll win but how the game will be played.

BelichickFan said:
Yeah, he was Flagg_the_Wanderer, I think he may have posted here too. I can't believe we have two Wanderers :D

With KFFL down at the moment, I suspect there will be quite a few more aimless wanderers floating around in here (myself included).

Not all who wander are lost.

Last edited:
patfanken said:
5. I don't care if the hit on Reche was a penalty according to the current rules, so I don't think it was a bad call. I think it is a bad rule. He hit Reche with his shoulder, and because he did, he CAUSED an incompletion. it was still a great hit and IMHO it shouldn't be called, just like incidental contact with the QBs head or lower legs shouldn't be called. Its one thing to protect the player, its another thing to baby him. Every new rule lately seems to be designed to increase the offense's advantage over the defense. Its getting ridiculous.

It's not getting ridiculous, it's getting sane. WR's are out there up in the air, fully extended, at full speed with their neck and spines at risk. Some rules to keep them from getting seriously, seriously, life altering injured seems to me a text book example of sanity. There isn't a rule that says you can't hit him, hard too, and separate him from the ball. There are bone crunching hits on receivers happening often. The rule simply tries to put some parameters on how you can hit and separate someone from the ball. A rule that tries to protect them from a hit that will alter their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft