PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There's No Way Smoltz Makes This Team

He's not going to stay long.

Wakefield says he'll be ready to go by the time we hit the road. I'd rather see these kids get spot starts here rather than veteran retreads.

Now if only we had contracts like they do in the NFL ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wakefield says he'll be ready to go by the time we hit the road. I'd rather see these kids get spot starts here rather than veteran retreads.

Spot starts can do more damage to the kids than good from what I've read over the last few years...really screws up with their head and sometimes their mechanic.

Reports are that his injury isn't too bad, nothing he hasn't had before that was solved by a few weeks rest. They needed him out of action now so he could be ready for September and October rather than risk losing him in early October again.

Now if only we had contracts like they do in the NFL ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wakfield is here on a year to year recurring $4 million contract, essentially a lifetime contract. The only thing to stop him from playing is his health or his drive to go on playing.

He's not going to stay long.

It's his spot until Wake is back. Wake can pitch fine, it's just that he can't move. If you were watching the NESN broadcast tonight, they showed a clip of him covering first and it wasn't pretty. It will be nice to see Wake back in the rotation.

We've got a couple of guys that cannot last. Smoltz would be an excellent relief guy to have, the guy has around 4 good innings per game in him but thats it. When the likes of Penny and Buckholtz are up he would be the ideal man to have in the bullpen should they implode. It would be easier then to make that decision to pull them guys in the 3rd or 4th when its not looking good without putting huge pressure on the bullpen.

It's his spot until Wake is back. Wake can pitch fine, it's just that he can't move. If you were watching the NESN broadcast tonight, they showed a clip of him covering first and it wasn't pretty. It will be nice to see Wake back in the rotation.

News tonight is that Wake is back on the 20th after a rehab start in Pawtucket. That means one more start for Tazawa and then back to the minors.

Last edited:
He won't. Tazawa is up because he was supposed to pitch tonight for the Paw Sox and the bullpen is overstretched. He's insurance for them at most, he will be back down Monday or Tuesday.

I thought Tazawa was going to only last a couple days? :rolleyes:

Well Smoltz today in his Cardinals debut went 5 innings giving up 3 hits and striking out 9

Well Smoltz today in his Cardinals debut went 5 innings giving up 3 hits and striking out 9

National League ... he can use his fastball more. What I thought was strange was how nervous he looked on the mound for us. I didn't get the impression he was comfortable here which sounds crazy considering his experience and greatness in the past. The only thing that bothered me when he was let go was that we kept Penny over Smoltz. Well ... I said no way he makes this team and he didn't ... we'll be fine without him.

Wouldn't Smoltz be better in the pen, than that Gonzalez dude?

He's back where he belongs, in the National League, where you can get away with throwing fastball after fastball and not get raked.

Plus he faced the AA Padres, who are absolutely terrible.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back