PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There's No Way Mallett Makes This Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not misremembering Cassel. I was one of the few who was defending him. And, from a "run the scheme" standpoint, his performances were on point. That was one of the huge differences between what he was doing and what O'Connell/Gutierrez were doing.

Define on point, because they scored 56 points in 4 games, were constantly backed up, and had some of the worst turnovers you'll ever see.

Obviously the INTs can't be pinned on Cassel since it's just as likely that the receivers were making bad reads, simple miscommunications, etc. I'm inclined to extend some of the same benefit of the doubt to Mallett, though. At least where it's warranted; that still doesn't explain the balls that he was slinging at his receivers' feet.

Last edited:
I'm not sure his valuation was sufficient to trigger a comp pick.
I think you're spot on here.

Supposedly, the NFL comp pick system is based on a formula where the main 3 factors are:

--playing time

--salary of contract/worth

--post season awards/recognition

And even then, the most important aspect would be whether or not the NEP as a team, lost more "key" contributing players than they brought in during the 2015 free agent period.

Maybe @Miguel could weigh in, but I believe that many here are overvaluing Ryan Mallett's vaule to our 2016 compensatory pick formula.

If they don't get anything in return for him, it makes fans cringe thinking of that loaded 2011 draft. Between he and Dowling and 2 early round RBs that's yet to establish themselves as true impact performers, we can't help but think of all those impact players passed up. Yeah Ridley had 1200 yards but nothing more spectacular than seen of RBs from rounds 4-7 or free agent/trade bargains. Vereen has potential of 2000 yards combined. But he has to stay injury free. That's one reason I'm rooting for Vereen to breakout with over 2000 yards combined. So we get something other than Solder from all those picks in a loaded draft.

Define on point, because they scored 56 points in 4 games, were constantly backed up, and had some of the worst turnovers you'll ever see.

Obviously the INTs can't be pinned on Cassel since it's just as likely that the receivers were making bad reads, simple miscommunications, etc. I'm inclined to extend some of the same benefit of the doubt to Mallett, though. At least where it's warranted; that still doesn't explain the balls that he was slinging at his receivers' feet.

I'm not re-fighting an argument that was won in 2008, and the search function isn't up to the task of finding those old threads. If you want to pretend that Mallett = Cassel, you go right ahead.

I cant imagine they did.

I cant imagine they did.

Me neither I suspect a lot, if not all, of the trade rumours were mediots and reportards projecting their own opinions/dreams/etc onto their columns and storylines.

We must find Ryan Mallet and throw him in the pit!

Honestly, JAG could look awful his next outing because it's just one preseason appearance, but Mallet is gone soon anyway and he isn't winning us any Superbowl. If Tom Brady goes down our Superbowl shot for 2014 is finished anyway. I think we should cut him, keep the kid, and keep our fingers crossed.

Not what I would do as a coach yet that's what I want as a fan.

We all know that if, God forbid, Tom Brady gets hurt, our season is over anyway. Let's no pretend Mallet is going to get us anywhere. He never even looks good again preseason vanilla 2nd squad defenses, never mind real ones in the post season. The best thing we can do IMO is cut ties, keep the rookie as back up, and sign depth.

At least with JAG there's a slight chance, in the worst case scenario, that he could surprise.
With Mallet we know we'll lose.

Regarding compensatory picks, two links.

First, the definitive column on the subject:
AdamJT13: Projecting the 2010 Compensatory NFL Draft Picks

As the NFL explains, compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

Although the formula has never been revealed, by studying the compensatory picks that have been awarded since they began in 1994, I’ve determined that the primary factor in the value of the picks awarded is the average annual value of the contract the player signed with his new team, with an adjustment for playing time and a smaller adjustment for postseason honors. It should be noted that the contract value used in the equation does not include some parts of the contract, and that the contract information reported in the media is often incorrect.

Each qualifying player has a value based on his contract, playing time and postseason honors, and that value corresponds to a round in the draft. In the compensatory equation, each qualifying player that a team signs cancels out a qualifying player that the team lost whose value is the highest in the same round. If there are no lost players remaining in that round, the signed player cancels out the lost player whose value is the next-highest. A signed player will cancel out a lost player whose value falls in a higher round only if there are no remaining lost players. After all of a team's qualifying signed players have canceled out a lost player, the team can receive a comp pick for each qualifying player who remains.​

Second, the NFL's official press release on the subject:
NFL Communications - NFL Announces 32 Compensatory Draft Choices to 13 Clubs

Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

The NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement limits the number of compensatory picks to the number of clubs then in the league (32). This year, three clubs – Chicago, Atlanta and Cincinnati – qualified for compensatory picks under the net loss formula but will not receive those picks because they ranked 33rd, 34th and 35th, respectively, among all compensatory picks. Atlanta and Cincinnati will receive picks for other compensatory free agents lost who ranked within the top 32 compensatory picks.

A fourth club, Oakland, did not suffer a net loss of compensatory free agents last year but qualified for a compensatory pick because the compensatory free agents lost by the club were ranked higher than the ones they signed (by a specified points differential based upon salary and playing time). Because such picks are awarded after all compensatory picks at the end of the seventh round have been made, Oakland’s pick effectively ranked 36th among all compensatory picks, so the club will not receive a selection.​

If they don't get anything in return for him, it makes fans cringe thinking of that loaded 2011 draft. Between he and Dowling and 2 early round RBs that's yet to establish themselves as true impact performers, we can't help but think of all those impact players passed up. Yeah Ridley had 1200 yards but nothing more spectacular than seen of RBs from rounds 4-7 or free agent/trade bargains. Vereen has potential of 2000 yards combined. But he has to stay injury free. That's one reason I'm rooting for Vereen to breakout with over 2000 yards combined. So we get something other than Solder from all those picks in a loaded draft.
And solder got beat like a rented mule by Jones at the open camp I attended. Granted this was on the far field, but on three consecutive plays, Jones beat Solder up field, dipped his shoulder and would have pressured Brady, if not killed him. This was the thing that stuck out to me.

My kid was screaming until the second half, I'll have to watch the dvr, but the o line worries me. I don't care who Washington has playing RDE, this is the nfl and everyone gets paid. Our oline worries me.

That said...seriously? The draft is a crap shoot. Especially when picking towards the end like the pats have been for a decade and a half now.

I don't know about you, or other fellow posters, but I'd take Ridley over Maroney...and Vereen shows promise if healthy. Many forget he played much of last year with a cast on his right(? Memory guess...I may be wrong) hand...take that off and all of a sudden things change.

If anything, I'd place all three of the players you mentioned in the same basket. Ridley is a solid pick and starter on most teams. Vereen, ditto. Solder, ditto. However, rb has an incredibly short shelf life. That certainly plays a part in the relatively recent devaluation of RB in the draft.

Solder needs to take the next step to be considered a big "hit." While serviceable, his play leaves room for improvement. While he seems a solid "single," he is not a home run. The RB's do seem to be pulling their weight. While high mid round picks, I'd argue they are off the wall doubles (to center, in Fenway) of picks considering their contributions.

But hey, we flunked by picking them. Nice to see who you would have suggested we picked...oops, nevermind

If you think you had a bad night watching Mallet, imagine how many millions he lost playing this game the way he did....yikes. Now, that's a bad night.

If you think you had a bad night watching Mallet, imagine how many millions he lost playing this game the way he did....yikes. Now, that's a bad night.

Obviously, his entire future was riding on this game. . . . :rolleyes:

He plays like this again at home and he IS playing for his job IMO

well.....they had extra picks that year and took a chance with a guy with "arm talent"......hoping he would learn the more important things like touch, consistency, pocket presence, decision making, etc.......it just didnt work out.....we shall see how the rest of the preseason plays out.....but if things continue on this trajectory i would be in favor of dumping mallet for anything.....ANYTHING......if brady goes down, we're done as far as being contenders......might as well let jimmy g be the backup and see how he develops.....plus we need the extra roster spot because injuries are bound to hit us hard....like they always do

I don't know why people have this "season is over" mentality when it comes to the backup QB having to play. Injuries aren't always season-ending. If Brady suffers a short term injury and is going to miss the game against the Raiders, then I want the best possible backup QB on the field to try to win that game. If Brady gets concussed while up 10 in the third quarter of the AFCCG, then I want the best possible backup QB trying to avoid turnovers and kill the clock. If Mallett is that guy, then I see no reason to cut him or trade him off for nearly nothing.

STOP MAKING SENSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference