PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The worst 5 qb in NE Patriots history ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MARC WILSON!!!!!:bricks:

Tony Eason by far. I can still see him curling up in the fetal position as the pocket collapsed.

Tony Eason is in the TOP 5, not the bottom 5, of Patriot QB's, after Brady, Grogan, Bledsoe, and Parilli. He's 1 of 3 QB's to take the Pats to a SB, with a very underdog team, and that gets you a lifetime pass for something (like this thread). He was a talented passer, but lacked a stomach for the game.

Mike Taliaferro was the biggest stiff among long term starters. Wilson was OK. Millen wasn't bad, a good passer. Tommy Hodson was pretty bad, as was Secules.

Oddly enough, the trade for Joe Kapp and the press conference which followed is my earliest Patriots memory. Being 10, I was convinced the Pats were destined to win it all.

Even more oddly, my second earliest Patriots memory is when we drafted Jim Plunkett #1 the very next year. Being 11, I was again convinced the Patriots would win it all :) I wish I could have maintained that etenal optimism to this day.

But my actual nomination for worst Pats QB is Rich Gannon. He was so bad they traded him without even giving him a chance at QB!

Last edited:
Tony Eason is in the TOP 5, not the bottom 5, of Patriot QB's, after Brady, Grogan, Bledsoe, and Parilli. He's 1 of 3 QB's to take the Pats to a SB, with a very underdog team, and that gets you a lifetime pass for something (like this thread). He was a talented passer, but lacked a stomach for the game.

and with those Bears it was impossible, imho, to win...
still a great job from him: to bring the Pats to the Super Bowl
i agree with you

Not sure who the top 5 would be, but in no particular order, even though I have followed this team from the beginning, lots of guys I forget, thank God.

Joe Kapp
Marc Wilson
Scott Zolak

In addition to Mike Taliaferro, Tom Sherman was also very below average. I think those two played in the early 70's before/after Jim Plunkett. A particularly dark era for the Pats.

The early 70's, early 80's, and early 90's were when the Pats were really horrid and embarassing. That's when it was amateur hour at QB, though Plunkett was a legit talent.

were the Pats beginning '90 the worst Patriots ?

Scott Secules
Mike Taliaferro
Joe Kapp
Hugh Millen
Marc WIlson
As one who starteda lot Taliaferro HAD to be the worst...he did have horrible lines, but he started a lot and was pitiful..I was at a game at Harvard
as they played the Colts..he was decimated and down on the ground injured...and the crows cheered..THAt was totally embarrassing..and they wanted Kapp, but he wasn't ready..Kapp a flash in the pan and gone..POOR!!!
Eason was a good QB but lacked guts..and I wish he those of SteveG..he might have made it..and he's syill gutless refusing to come here for the 20 year anniversary...STILL gutless..but a bad QB?? The Patriots had so so many more...Tom Sherman---Kim Hammond---Neil Graff---Mike Kerrigan

Scott Secules
Mike Taliaferro
Joe Kapp
Hugh Millen
Marc WIlson
As one who starteda lot Taliaferro HAD to be the worst...he did have horrible lines, but he started a lot and was pitiful..I was at a game at Harvard
as they played the Colts..he was decimated and down on the ground injured...and the crows cheered..THAt was totally embarrassing..and they wanted Kapp, but he wasn't ready..Kapp a flash in the pan and gone..POOR!!!
Eason was a good QB but lacked guts..and I wish he those of SteveG..he might have made it..and he's syill gutless refusing to come here for the 20 year anniversary...STILL gutless..but a bad QB?? The Patriots had so so many more...Tom Sherman---Kim Hammond---Neil Graff---Mike Kerrigan

in the last years also Zolack was quite bad
when Bledsoe was out i was 100% sure we would have lost the play-off game at Jax...with Drew we would have had a chance

Zo was pretty bad for a guy who started a playoff game.

Wilson is up there.

Last edited:
i consider personally Eason at n.5 in the best not in the worst
Somewhere along the line Eason lost his nerve as a QB. He was good for a while, then he got hurt, and he would just curl into a ball if anyone got near him. Plus, as someone said, he always had the warrior Steve Grogan waiting behind him to show him up.

Can I list Tim Tebow five times?

Obviously I'm kidding. Tebow never started for the Pats (or got out of training camp for that matter)

Can I list Tim Tebow five times?

Obviously I'm kidding. Tebow never started for the Pats (or got out of training camp for that matter)

I'm not sure voting for Tebow is allowed on a thread that started over ten years ago and before his time.

Mike Taliaferro
John Huarte
Joe Kapp
Mark Wilson
Tom Sherman

I like the fact you were the only one to mention Huarte. If we're talking expectations vs. production, John is probably #1 worst. Iirc,he was a Heisman Trophy winner at Notre Dame(at the time the Irish were the Alabama of college football). Not saying he was worst Pats qb all-time,but none of the others carried the same expectations. But I would add millen to your list.

It pains me to think back when things are so good. WTF is wrong with you wanting to dredge up these bad memories? Have you ever watched a train weck in slow motion? That was what is was like with the Pats and these less than stellar QBs. Spending money on a ticket was less fruitful than buying a powerball ticket. The odds were a gasillion to one that the Pats would win a game. Good lord, your team just won a SB and you need to wallow in the mud with the rest of the pigs (steelers, ravens, colts, etc) [shakes head]

was that before or after he quarterbacked the team to the Super Bowl?

i dunno, dont think Marc Wilson could have done that
Yeah, no. That was Steve Grogan. They were 5-1 with Grogan, 6-4 with Eason. Worst decision they ever made to go back to Eason that season. Akin to the Bills dumpling Flutie for Rob Johnson.

Don Trull
Harvey White
He was a very high draft pick in 1960 did nothing
Joe Kapp
Tom Hodson
Tom Shermen
Joe Kapp was soooo awful!

Hugh Millen doesn't belong on a list of top 5 worst QBs. He was nothing great, don't get me wrong, but he brought more excitement and hope to the position than the players we had under center preceding him.

Tommy Hodson would be my vote for worst. Even the scrub QB we had during the strike season was better.
That Scrub QB during the strike season was Doug Flutie.

having started to watch in the early 70's I didnt get to see some of the reeaally bad ones of the 60's but i'll give it a try.

in no particular order.

Marc Wilson

Matt Cavanaugh ( this pains me to say, as when he was drafted and at the end of 1980 I loved this guy. but I think I watched him pass for negative yards in a game at Cleveland in 1982)

Scott Secules ( Bill, this is why you werent allowed to buy the groceries after 1995, too many brilliant signings as this)

Rohan Davey did he EVER make a play?

Scott Zolak c'mon now, one game at Indy and one game at home against the 49ers ( I was at that game, couldnt believe my eyes) doth not a career make
A guy that worked on my staff was a childhood friend of Scott Secules. Said that Secules was a great athlete up through high school, but, obviously, not in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft