Welcome to PatsFans.com

The understated key to the Giants, and the difference between NE and NY

Discussion in 'Visiting Locker Room' started by ivanvamp, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivanvamp

ivanvamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

During the Giants' playoff run, there were 10 fumbles (not counting the one nullified by the Pats' penalty). 3 Giant fumbles and 7 opponent fumbles. Creating fumbles is a skill; recovering them, as statisticians will tell you, is essentially a 50/50 proposition. You can be in perfect position to recover it but, because of the shape of the ball, it could bounce totally away from you. So getting a fumble is mostly luck. Anyway, of these 10 fumbles, the Giants recovered *8* of them. All of them in the Super Bowl. Any one of them goes the other way and it's almost certainly the ballgame.

In the two Super Bowls between the two teams, there were 5 fumbles (4 by the Giants, 1 by the Patriots), and *ALL FIVE* were recovered by the Giants.

In the last 3 games between the two teams, there have been 9 fumbles (6 by NY, 3 by NE), and *8* of the 9 were recovered by the Giants. Again, forcing fumbles is a skill (and NE forced more Giant fumbles than NY forced Patriot fumbles). Recovering them is mostly luck, and those numbers I just cited are so far out of whack with what is statistically normal it boggles the mind.

Yes, we can talk about all kinds of things, but in many ways, the difference between these two evenly-matched teams comes down to the weird bounce of an oblong football.

And, frankly, that's a bit harder for me to take than if NY was simply better.
  2. g650

g650 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It seems the Pats also play not to lose. The Giants play to win.
  3. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

If any one of these 9 plays doesn't happen the way they did, we are happier today:

Welker’s drop,
    two fumbles that bounce to Giants teammates,
    12 men on the field that negates a turnover and allows a TD later,
    Ninkovich's offsides penalty that negated a 3rd down stop,
    Hernandez’s drop,
    Manningham's sideline catch & the TO wasted on a challenge,
    the safety,

and Gronkowski’s ankle injury 2 weeks ago.

Oh well…

I am not saying any of them are "flukes" or anything. It is what it is. I'm sure we have won some where the opponent had nine things they could point to that could have turned the tide for them.

The roster is younger, the cap situation is manageable, the talent level is high, and we have capital in draft picks.

No time to let the ball stop rolling.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  4. eom

eom Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

That's actually some pretty interesting stuff.

I can't remember this story too well, but there was a former bear on local chicago radio ---- maybe doug buffone.
    he said when he was playing he would make a point to haul ass after every fumble and he never gave up chasing those things but maybe 9 would escappe him, but when he finally got that tenth one everybody would say how lucky he was
  5. strongside

strongside Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -1

Giants are just more balanced. They remind me of the 03/04 pats. Both those teams were built on tough physical Dline. 34 vs 43 but still it all started upfront with both those teams.
  6. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

baloney!

Letting them score a TD and saving a minute of clock was playing to win.

Throwing the ball to Wes Welker at the 20 with 4 minutes left instead of using up clock by unsuccessfully running the ball was playing to win (Sure I would like to be able to ground and pound ala clock-killin' Cory Dillon, but that is not the make-up of our offense right now)

Playing tight coverage vs. dropping back in soft zones was playing to win.

I have no issue with how we played the game, strategically. We just did not make enough good plays.
  7. PatriotFan77

PatriotFan77 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

All plays aside, Pats just **** the bed.
  8. g650

g650 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's how I see the Patriots play. Not that I'm complaining:)
  9. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Herm would like to put his two cents in:

[​IMG]
  10. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 13 / -8

The one Pierre Woods failed to recover in SB 42 was not luck.
  11. Dutchmaster617

Dutchmaster617 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I still can't logically explain how we lost to the Giants in 08 or last week, but two things come to mind: The WRs ability to aggressively make catches, and the O-lines ability to stall the rush. We couldn't do either, you can also look at the fumbles, no other way we lose two HUGE games to such an inferior team.
  12. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +730 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

It depends upon how you mean luck. In one example of how it can be used, if you're here just to troll, you'll be lucky to get many posts in before you get banned.
  13. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +214 / 3 / -1

#95 Jersey

Just another bandwagon giants fan jumping on the train..they are all around my area now
  14. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +532 / 13 / -12

that was chalked up to the Giants getting four turnovers from Tom Brady(edit:3 from Brady, 1 from Edelman) and Eli taking the porous,in flux secondary apart in the final minutes...what the hell "against a healthy Gronk" is supposed to mean shows you to be an infant in terms of football acumen..Gronk had 8 catches for 101 yards in that game, Welker 9 for 130...don't get the Gronk slam, unless you ARE a boneheaded troll
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  15. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +200 / 2 / -0

Anything the Giants lost by not having Nicks or Bradshaw was more than compensated for by the Pats having Brown and White on the field.
  16. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -7

#12 Jersey

Considering what happened in the NFCCG, I'd suggest that you ought to be appreciating Lady Luck more than any team in the NFL play-offs this year. Oh, and if you want to use injuries as excuses, Hernandez was greatly limited by injury in the NE/Giants regular season game and Chung and Spikes both left with injuries. Tracy White, who likely didn't play another game on defense, was the defender on the pass to Ballard and Sergio Brown, another special teamer, was in for Chung on the critical play in the last drive. So don't come around here trolling about "luck" and/or injuries. Your post reminds me of the low-rent punks on your team. They're worse than the Jets in that regard and, more importantly, Giant fans are worse than Jet fans in that department as well. So, screw off.
  17. Joker

Ratings:
    +532 / 13 / -12

on a side note...it does warm one's heart to see that even the worst, hackneyed, teeth grating, moronic aphorisms like "who's your daddy?" has finally migrated to the backwoods,bohump burghs of rural Indiana (which, in essence, is the entire state outside of six downtown Indy blocks)..."hoosierdaddy"..yeah...you get a half a "heh"....I'd tell you to go run and get your shinebox but you'd probably trip on a cowpie and break your fool neck...
  18. Koma

Koma Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

It was fortunate that Cundiff missed a makeable FG.

The Evans play was not the result of luck. When a defensive back knocks the ball out a receiver's hands, it was not "luck" that caused the incompletion (Unless Andrew Luck has a brother who plays safety or corner.)
  19. Joker

Ratings:
    +532 / 13 / -12

yep...a pathological liar...you ARE a real Giants fan...
  20. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +200 / 2 / -0

No more fortunate than the Giants were to even make the playoffs at 9-7.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.