PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Uncle Heaster 1st + 1 mock draft 2.0, March 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryheat44

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
1 Carolina Panthers - Blaine Gabbart QB Missouri. I think it's a dumb pick. Ron Rivera likely thinks it's a dumb pick. But Jerry Richardson is going to make this pick based on what he thinks is going to make the most money for his franchise. You sell tickets and jerseys, not to mention hope, with a 1st round quarterback you can present as the messiah for your moribund franchise, even though you got one last year. Expect Clausen to be traded as soon as allowed. Someone's going to get a good deal on him.

2 Denver Broncos - Marcel Dareus DL Alabama. Denver seems to enjoy setting up power structures where the HC makes the personnel decisions and the GM rubber stamps them and plays Kill Zone in his office. We'll see if the hiring of Elway changes anything, but if John Fox has his way, Dareus will be in Denver.

3 Buffalo Bills - Patrick Peterson CB LSU. Buffalo's strength on Defense is actually the secondary, but IMO Peterson is the best CB prospect to come out since......Champ Bailey, I guess. Unless the Bills love Fairley, Peterson should be the pick here.

4 Cincinnati Bengals - Cam Newton QB. Mike Brown has never shied away from taking a high-upside risk high in the draft (David Klingler, Andre Smith, that QB from Oregon who sucked so bad I've forgotten his name), and unless he wants the Jordan Palmer era to start (unlikely) or is willing to pony up for a QB in trade (extremely unlikely), Newton is his man.

5 Arizona Cardinals - Von Miller OLB Texas A&M. To me, this is the easiest projection in the draft.

6 Cleveland Browns - AJ Green WR Georgia. Mike Holmgren is an offensive guy. Pat Shurmur is an offensive guy. Green isn't exactly a west coast receiver, but the Browns' roster is littered with serviceable possession guys, but not one of them requires a double team on his best day. A dynamic medium-to-deep threat is needed to keep defenses honest. McCoy-to-Green could become a household phrase over the next 15 years.

7 San Francisco 49ers - Trade alert the 49ers trade this pick to the Redskins for #10 and some later considerations that aren't relevant to a 1-round mock. The Redskins select Nick Fairley DT Auburn, you know, just in case that whole Albert Haynesworth thing doesn't work out for them.

8 Tennessee Titans - Robert Quinn DE North Carolina.

9 Dallas Cowboys - Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska

10 San Francisco 49ers - JJ Watt DE Wisconsin. Here comes the run, doo do doo do, here comes the run, and I say, it's alright.

11 Houston Texans - Cam Jordan DE California

12 Minnesota Vikings - DaQuan Bowers DE Clemson

13 Detroit Lions - Trade alert Detroit only has 5 picks in the draft. So seeing nobody they like at this spot, the offer to trade #13 to New England for #17 and #92. New England gets away with a slight discount because there's nobody here Detroit loves, and the fact they are short picks. In a move that's sure to delight the folks at PatsFans.com, the Patriots select Tyron Smith OT USC.

14 St. Louis Rams - Julio Jones WR Alabama.

15 Miami Dolphins - Trade alert the Dolphins trade #15 to San Diego for #18 and other stuff. The Chargers select Ryan Kerrigan OLB Purdue.

16 Jacksonville Jaguars - Aldon Smith DE Missouri.

17 Detroit Lions - Corey Liuget DT Illinois.

18 Miami Dolphins - Phil Taylor DT Baylor. I've said it before, but the 3-4 is doomed to fail without a stud on the nose.

19 New York Giants - Mark Ingram RB Alabama. I think the Giants have soured on both Jacobs and Bradshaw. And for some reason, they don't want Tiki back. In Ingram the Giants pick up a guy who can give you 25 carries a game and doesn't put the ball on the ground.

20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jimmy Smith CB Colorado. Because when you are forced to cut one problem-child first-round cornerback, the obvious solution is to replace him with another one.

21 Kansas City Chiefs - Anthony Castonzo OT Boston College

22 Indianapolis Colts - Nate Solder OT Colorado. I'm confident it will be an OT here. We'll see which ones are left and which one Polian feels will be best in the Indy scheme.

23 Philadelphia Eagles - Brandon Harris CB Miami

24 New Orleans Saints - Martez Wilson LB Illinois

25 Seattle Seahawks - Jake Locker QB Washington

26 Baltimore Ravens - Mike Pouncey G Florida. Welcome to the rivalry, little brother.

27 Atlanta Falcons - Stephen Paea DT Oregon State

28 New England Patriots - Muhammad Wilkerson DE Temple

29 Chicago Bears - Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi State

30 New York Jets - Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin

31 Pittsburgh Steelers - Trade Alert Pittsburgh trades 31 to the Cardinals for #38 and more. The Cardinals take Andy Dalton QB Texas Christian

32 Green Bay Packers - Cameron Heyward DE Ohio St

33 New England Patriots - Ah, I feel confident that if the draft unfolds this way, New England will trade down to get a later 2nd and a 4th or something and target the likes of Danny Watkins or Jabbal Sheard.

Last edited:
Fine if it has to be this way but somehow trading up and taking T. Smith leaves me unsatisfied. Could BB at least hold a gun to St Louis' head and make them squirm about taking Jones?

1 Carolina Panthers - Blaine Gabbart QB Missouri. I think it's a dumb pick. Ron Rivera likely thinks it's a dumb pick. But Jerry Richardson is going to make this pick based on what he thinks is going to make the most money for his franchise. You sell tickets and jerseys, not to mention hope, with a 1st round quarterback you can present as the messiah for your moribund franchise, even though you got one last year. Expect Clausen to be traded as soon as allowed. Someone's going to get a good deal on him.

2 Denver Broncos - Marcel Dareus DL Alabama. Denver seems to enjoy setting up power structures where the HC makes the personnel decisions and the GM rubber stamps them and plays Kill Zone in his office. We'll see if the hiring of Elway changes anything, but if John Fox has his way, Dareus will be in Denver.

3 Buffalo Bills - Patrick Peterson CB LSU. Buffalo's strength on Defense is actually the secondary, but IMO Peterson is the best CB prospect to come out since......Champ Bailey, I guess. Unless the Bills love Fairley, Peterson should be the pick here.

4 Cincinnati Bengals - Cam Newton QB. Mike Brown has never shied away from taking a high-upside risk high in the draft (David Klingler, Andre Smith, that QB from Oregon who sucked so bad I've forgotten his name), and unless he wants the Jordan Palmer era to start (unlikely) or is willing to pony up for a QB in trade (extremely unlikely), Newton is his man.

5 Arizona Cardinals - Von Miller OLB Texas A&M. To me, this is the easiest projection in the draft.

6 Cleveland Browns - AJ Green WR Georgia. Mike Holmgren is an offensive guy. Pat Shurmur is an offensive guy. Green isn't exactly a west coast receiver, but the Browns' roster is littered with serviceable possession guys, but not one of them requires a double team on his best day. A dynamic medium-to-deep threat is needed to keep defenses honest. McCoy-to-Green could become a household phrase over the next 15 years.

7 San Francisco 49ers - Trade alert the 49ers trade this pick to the Redskins for #10 and some later considerations that aren't relevant to a 1-round mock. The Redskins select Nick Fairley DT Auburn, you know, just in case that whole Albert Haynesworth thing doesn't work out for them.

10 San Francisco 49ers - JJ Watt DE Wisconsin. Here comes the run, doo do doo do, here comes the run, and I say, it's alright.

13 Detroit Lions - Trade alert Detroit only has 5 picks in the draft. So seeing nobody they like at this spot, the offer to trade #13 to New England for #17 and #92. New England gets away with a slight discount because there's nobody here Detroit loves, and the fact they are short picks. In a move that's sure to delight the folks at PatsFans.com, the Patriots select Tyron Smith OT USC.

15 Miami Dolphins - Trade alert the Dolphins trade #15 to San Diego for #18 and other stuff. The Chargers select Ryan Kerrigan OLB Purdue.

18 Miami Dolphins - Phil Taylor DT Baylor. I've said it before, but the 3-4 is doomed to fail without a stud on the nose.

19 New York Giants - Mark Ingram RB Alabama. I think the Giants have soured on both Jacobs and Bradshaw. And for some reason, they don't want Tiki back. In Ingram the Giants pick up a guy who can give you 25 carries a game and doesn't put the ball on the ground.

20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jimmy Smith CB Colorado. Because when you are forced to cut one problem-child first-round cornerback, the obvious solution is to replace him with another one.

22 Indianapolis Colts - Nate Solder OT Colorado. I'm confident it will be an OT here. We'll see which ones are left and which one Polian feels will be best in the Indy scheme.

26 Baltimore Ravens - Mike Pouncey G Florida. Welcome to the rivalry, little brother.

31 Pittsburgh Steelers - Trade Alert Pittsburgh trades 31 to the Cardinals for #38 and more. The Cardinals take Andy Dalton QB Texas Christian

33 New England Patriots - Ah, I feel confident that if the draft unfolds this way, New England will trade down to get a later 2nd and a 4th or something and target the likes of Danny Watkins or Jabbal Sheard.

Dear Jesus,

I know your busy helping tim tebow train for the offseason but, could you please not let this happen. If the pats take tyron Smith, patsfans will lose many members of the draft forum and that will be just more paperwork for you anyways.

Your Pal,
West Philly Patriot

Last edited:
I always appreciate those who take the time to do a full mock. So kudos to you DH44.
Having said that, I still have a pretty good head of hair. But if we pass up A.Smith, Kerrigan, & Jones to take an undersized OT in a trade up on 4/28, I may not have any hair on 4/29.:D

I always appreciate those who take the time to do a full mock. So kudos to you DH44.
Having said that, I still have a pretty good head of hair. But if we pass up A.Smith, Kerrigan, & Jones to take an undersized OT in a trade up on 4/28, I may not have any hair on 4/29.:D

I think you meant ":mad:". ;)

Yeah, I didn't expect it to be a popular pick.

My thought process was this:

After the #12 pick, I had exactly two players rated as mid-first round values -- Smith and Jones, with Smith rated higher. The options seem to be to wait and see if one falls your way, which is possible, although I don't see anyway Jones falls to #17, trade up and get Jones, which is fine if you value Jones more highly than Smith, trade up for Smith, reach for someone at #17 who doesn't give you the value, or trade down. Trading down is fine, but given the dynamics of this draft, you might well be making the same kind of decision at #22 or wherever -- left with diminishing players who have first round value attached to them. I chose to use the latter third to move up to ensure I got first round value with a first round pick. Hopefully I can recoup the third round pick or an early fourth by trading down from 33. Which then I can always package with 74 or 60 and move back into the second.

I feel good about Smith as a starting LT in 2011. The floor is that we overdrafted a right tackle and have to put Vollmer on the left side after Light retires. I'm OK with that given the other options at #17.

Last edited:
13 New England Patriots - Tyron Smith OT USC.
33 (or a little later) New England Patriots - Jabaal Sheard OLB Pittsburgh

If the draft plays out this way and the Pats still have #60 and #74, I would be pretty pleased. Grab Boling (the best OG fit for the Pats in the draft) at #74 and splurge on a RB like Ryan Williams at #60. Go into day 3 fishing for value at DB, RB or rush LB (someone should slip at these positions). Looks like a nice fit of need and opportunity.

13 New England Tyron Smith OT USC.
33 New England Patriots - Jabbal Sheard.

Replace Smith with Costanza and I am really liking this draft. Costanza has more experience, more difficult to bull rush and projects much better in the Patriots zone blocking scheme than Smith.

Wilkerson - after a red shirt year to learn technique and get strongwer, should be a beast in our defense. Good lateral agility and ability to take on double teams. Perfect Pats DE.

Sheard - first step suddenness and has the ability to set a hard edge on running plays. Can;t drop into coverage, but for third and long, i say turn him lose.

Add Boling at #60 and my draft day is over the top. Boling is the best pulling OG in this draft and projects very well in our zone blocking scheme.

Replace Smith with Costanza and I am really liking this draft. Costanza has more experience, more difficult to bull rush and projects much better in the Patriots zone blocking scheme than Smith.

Wilkerson - after a red shirt year to learn technique and get strongwer, should be a beast in our defense. Good lateral agility and ability to take on double teams. Perfect Pats DE.

Sheard - first step suddenness and has the ability to set a hard edge on running plays. Can;t drop into coverage, but for third and long, i say turn him lose.

Add Boling at #60 and my draft day is over the top. Boling is the best pulling OG in this draft and projects very well in our zone blocking scheme.

Castonzo looks awfully stiff to me, but if BB and Dante have him rated higher than Smith, even better, since we can probably sit tight and take Castonzo at #17. Personally I would take Watkins over Sheard at 35-40 and then double dip with Boling if possible.

Castonzo looks awfully stiff to me, but if BB and Dante have him rated higher than Smith, even better, since we can probably sit tight and take Castonzo at #17.

I agree on Castonzo. I've seen edge rushers get clean shots on the QB multiple times against him in 1-on-1 situations. He seems excellent when he locks on but I can't see trusting Brady's health to a guy that will occasionally get burned clean around the edge.

TSmith has the nimblest feet of all the tackles but I was concerned about functional strength and the ability to anchor. But if he can keep in the 310+ range, he looks to be a little technique tweaking away from being a top OT.

Personally I would take Watkins over Sheard at 35-40 and then double dip with Boling if possible.

I doubt Mankins is going anywhere this year (pending a court ruling that would also put Manning on the market) and Connolly is a reasonable replacement during the weeks where he is pitching a fit over the franchise tag. Ohrnberger is still hanging around and I doubt that would still be the case if they didn't think he was viable.

I would be surprised and dismayed if the Pats got too far into day 2 without an OLB candidate. I think TBC is going bye-bye once a new cap is put into place so rush OLB seems like a more attractive place to address early and possibly double dip.

Yeah, I didn't expect it to be a popular pick.

My thought process was this:

After the #12 pick, I had exactly two players rated as mid-first round values -- Smith and Jones, with Smith rated higher. The options seem to be to wait and see if one falls your way, which is possible, although I don't see anyway Jones falls to #17, trade up and get Jones, which is fine if you value Jones more highly than Smith, trade up for Smith, reach for someone at #17 who doesn't give you the value, or trade down. Trading down is fine, but given the dynamics of this draft, you might well be making the same kind of decision at #22 or wherever -- left with diminishing players who have first round value attached to them. I chose to use the latter third to move up to ensure I got first round value with a first round pick. Hopefully I can recoup the third round pick or an early fourth by trading down from 33. Which then I can always package with 74 or 60 and move back into the second.

I feel good about Smith as a starting LT in 2011. The floor is that we overdrafted a right tackle and have to put Vollmer on the left side after Light retires. I'm OK with that given the other options at #17.

After watching NFL Networks re-cap of the USC Pro-Day, sounds like he projects to be a stud at RT and [depending on who you ask] has the footwork to play LT. If the Pats are moving up to grab him, they would have to be unquestionably certain he can play LT. By appearance, he looks the part... especially if the part is massive and intimidating... WITHOUT his pads!

Good mock dryheat. I would not be livid with the decision to take Tyron Smith if Coach Dante felt he could turn him into an elite OT. Not my preference, I'd like to see them get a defensive player (such as trading up to 12 and taking Bowers, if they feel his injuries will not be a career-long issue). I like the idea of Wilkerson the more I read about him--have not seen him play in a game--and if the evaluations from the Pats say he can fit their scheme he could be a good value at 28.

Technical quibble: the Pounceys are twin brothers. Now back to relevant discussion: I absolutely love Mike Pouncey for the Pats, in my opinion having he and Mankins at G would make them deadly on screens and pulling, where the Pats have always been solid. Having two big time players on the interior could give them an absolutely elite OL the way I see it.

Trading up for Smith is a throw the TV through the window pick for me. I would be fine with Wilkerson at 28. I wouldn't take Smith before the 3rd round.

Excellent job Uncle Heaster. I think your trade scenarios are well thought out and I think your projections are excellent. Phil Taylor to Miami makes a ton of sense. The only head scratcher IMO was Ingraham to the NY Giants. They draft very well IMO and I think they address more pressing needs in round 1.

As far as the Patriots picks, I would be mildly disappointed with a trade up for T. Smith, but when it comes to evaluating O-line, far be it from me to second guess BB. Getting Wilkerson at 28 is a ok with me. Give me some combination of Watkins/Ijalana/Boling and Reed/Sheard in rounds 2 & 3 and I'm happy.

12) MINNESOTA
Minny has 2 picks in the first 100. They need a quarterback very badly. I just can't see them taking Bowers instead of trading down and getting a QB in the first. The patriots might be willing to give up 74 to move up from 17. This is an even swap, so we might require 150 as a panic payment from Minny.

13) DETROIT
Detroit has one pick in each of the first five rounds. I see no reason to panic. They also have a couple of sevenths. They could certainly trade down to someone who want s Bowers.

SMITH OR BOWERS OR JONES
I just can't see us drafting an undersized LT instead of Julio Jones. Personally, I would look and hard before making a trade up. I might rather take Ingram and keep the #17.

28) I've fine with Wilkerson or Heyward if Wilkerson isn't there. As long as both are there, there is no reason to trade up to get one of them.

33) I do expect the pats to trade down, for a later 2nd and a 2012 pick. However, depedning on the offer, I might draft Houston right then and there.

11 - Houston Texans - They are moving to a 3-4. They have Mario Williams and Shaun Cody for the DE positions. They aren't going to take Cam Jordan to sit him behind those two...

15 - Tyron Smith - I don't believe that Smith warrants a trade up 4 spots. And certainly not for the #92 pick. He's not the best OT in the draft. No reason to trade up for him.

33 - Sheard - There are a lot of questions as to whether he can make the transition to 3-4 OLB... He has little or no experience dropping back into coverage. That picks is extremely more valuable to other teams who want to trade up.. The Pats trade the pick almost certainly and push picks into 2012 if the CBA is done..

Also, I believe that Von Miller is the most over-hyped and over-rated player in this draft. He's no nearly as good as Mayo... People over-rate him and under-rate the A&M line.

This scenario seems more likely than trading up for Smith.

I also like Watkins and Boling, although I prefere Ijalana and Boling a bit more.

Castonzo looks awfully stiff to me, but if BB and Dante have him rated higher than Smith, even better, since we can probably sit tight and take Castonzo at #17. Personally I would take Watkins over Sheard at 35-40 and then double dip with Boling if possible.

Awesome job Dry Man, that is a very hard time consuming task.

How about this draft? Chapel Hill special

Robert Quinn (OLB)
Marvin Austin (DE)
Bruce Carter (OLB)
Greg Little (WR)
TJ Yates (QB)
Deunta Williams (FS)
Johnny White (RB)
Mike Ingersoll (OT)
Alan Pelc (OG)

I can't see Belichick trading up for a projection. At #17, it makes sense BB will take the surest player with the fewest questions. And if he trades up from there, IMHO we're talking about an impact player who can produce sooner rather than later. Smith is a maybe at LT, and no RT is worthy of that high a tradeup. Appreciate the effort as always.

11 - Houston Texans - They are moving to a 3-4. They have Mario Williams and Shaun Cody for the DE positions. They aren't going to take Cam Jordan to sit him behind those two...

15 - Tyron Smith - I don't believe that Smith warrants a trade up 4 spots. And certainly not for the #92 pick. He's not the best OT in the draft. No reason to trade up for him.

33 - Sheard - There are a lot of questions as to whether he can make the transition to 3-4 OLB... He has little or no experience dropping back into coverage. That picks is extremely more valuable to other teams who want to trade up.. The Pats trade the pick almost certainly and push picks into 2012 if the CBA is done..

Also, I believe that Von Miller is the most over-hyped and over-rated player in this draft. He's no nearly as good as Mayo... People over-rate him and under-rate the A&M line.

Shaun Cody has been a bust. I can't imagine the Texans are going into this draft with a plan not to upgrade there if possible.

I believe T Smith is the best OT in this draft, by a healthy margin.

I agree with you on Sheard. I wouldn't take him at #33. But he could be one of the targets if the Pats trade down to the 40s.

I think that behind Peterson and Dareus, Von Miller is the safest player in this draft. If his success was due to the A&M DL, let's draft the A&M DL, none of whom I can name.

I believe that the children are the future. You can teach them well, but at some point, you just have to let them lead the way. You know, show them all the beauty they possess inside...give them a sense of pride.

I believe in Crystal Light, because I believe in me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back