PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

the two point plays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzafted

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
sorry if i missed a thread about this already, but i wonder how long bb and mcdaniels have had those two specific plays in the book. the execution on both was masterful but they were both also brilliant plays designed to pick up exactly two yards at the goal line, and even the amendola screen had a bit of trickery cooked into it.

flash back to denver last year, wouldn't you have rather they ran either of those plays on the goal line than the crosser with edelman in traffic?

it just feels almost like that was in some special sack they have that says "break in case of 2-point emergencies in super bowls". have they ever run that fake snap to a back on the goal line since 38?

im just still stunned at the beauty of those two plays and the way they both were designed to catch defenses off guard - you couldnt have pulled either one out if they'd run that at the goal in recent memory...

have they ever run that fake snap to a back on the goal line since 38?

Ran it against the Chargers in that 24-21 epic playoff game in Jan 2007. Tied the game, IIRC.

Ran it against SF during the '08 season. I remember this only because I was there and called it right before the snap.

Can't recall other times.

Regards,
Chris

in an even crazier twist they ran a 'fake direct snap' play in the divisional round against the Jaguars in the 2007 season (2008 playoff game).

If you recall Brady did his patented fake high snap and turned around. The crazy part, he actually DID have the ball. He stood there an extra second with his back to the defense to continue to sell the play, and then he finally turned around and found Welker in the back of the end zone.

That call took a lot of guts.

Edit: Found it....

Fwd to the 16:19 mark of this video.....

in an even crazier twist they ran a 'fake direct snap' play in the divisional round against the Jaguars in the 2007 season (2008 playoff game).

If you recall Brady did his patented fake high snap and turned around. The crazy part, he actually DID have the ball. He stood there an extra second with his back to the defense to continue to sell the play, and then he finally turned around and found Welker in the back of the end zone.

That call took a lot of guts.

Edit: Found it....

Fwd to the 16:19 mark of this video.....

Wasn't that his Statue of Liberty play?

Wasn't that his Statue of Liberty play?

Nope that's something completely different. (A trick play in football in which the quarterback drops back for a pass gripping the ball with both hands, fakes a throw with one hand to one side of the field, and as his hands come back down, secretly hands the ball off to a running back crossing behind him, who then runs to the opposite side of the field.)

This was definitely a 'fake direct snap' as such you could think of it as a 'fake of a fake' and then we are really playing some mind games.

They've run the direct snap play many times, both as a 2 point play and as a goaline play. The second one is just one of the standard WR screens.

Yup, the second one was used earlier in the game and they lost three yards on it.

On the DA 2 point conversion Poole was the corner. He's young, hesitant, not great in the red zone and not great against trips. It made sense that it worked.

Ran it against the Chargers in that 24-21 epic playoff game in Jan 2007. Tied the game, IIRC.

Ran it against SF during the '08 season. I remember this only because I was there and called it right before the snap.

Can't recall other times.

Regards,
Chris
Ran it in the Panthers Superbowl with Kevin Faulk for a 2 point conversion.

sorry if i missed a thread about this already, but i wonder how long bb and mcdaniels have had those two specific plays in the book. the execution on both was masterful but they were both also brilliant plays designed to pick up exactly two yards at the goal line, and even the amendola screen had a bit of trickery cooked into it.

flash back to denver last year, wouldn't you have rather they ran either of those plays on the goal line than the crosser with edelman in traffic?

it just feels almost like that was in some special sack they have that says "break in case of 2-point emergencies in super bowls". have they ever run that fake snap to a back on the goal line since 38?

im just still stunned at the beauty of those two plays and the way they both were designed to catch defenses off guard - you couldnt have pulled either one out if they'd run that at the goal in recent memory...

I can't remember which game, but I do remember them running the identical play with Kevin Faulk taking the direct snap with Brady faking the snap going over his head, as he likewise did on the direct snap to White.

I can't remember which game, but I do remember them running the identical play with Kevin Faulk taking the direct snap with Brady faking the snap going over his head, as he likewise did on the direct snap to White.
Superbowl 38, for one :)

I also think they used that play for a 2pt conversion after they scored a TD after McCree had his INT stripped by Troy Brown in the 2006 AFC Divisional against SD.

I think what screwed Atlanta was that they didn't have a TO and weren't able to see the formation call a timeout and adjust. That's where BB is better than so many coaches he doesn't waste timeouts in the second half

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST