PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ted Johnson fiasco

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the NY Times story, it is cut up and edited to put Belichick in the worst light. It differs quite a bit from the Globe story. Go to ESPN and check out the selective cutting and pasting.
Yeah I noticed that actually the Globe story seems more well rounded than the Times story. I think that's mainly because they got Belichick to comment, so it presented his side. I thought the Times story sounded much more damaging to Belichick than the Globe, so it's a little surprising that people think MacMullen wrote a hack job.

And I'm not surprised that ESPN was selective. But this is what they do, they choose the most 'entertaining' angle for every story, fair or not.

The Globe has now reported several very one sided stories about Belichick.

Might he retire over these stories? he is really taking a beating.

If this happens no Patriot fan should ever buy another Globe newspaper.

What better way to punish the Globe et al. for this $#%@% than to force them to cover him for another decade or two? :D

The anti-Globe paranoia reaches new highs today. There 20 or 30, or maybe even 100 pro Pats articles printed in the Globe versus any one that has a sniff of negativity. It sounds like most of the detractors here have long since written off the Globe and thus don't see the daily output but only chose to chime in when more 'evidence' is presented by posters continually suspicious of the Globe's motives.

Given the fact that the newspaper industry is in grave condition becuase of the rise of the internet, someone here should explain why it would be beneficial to the Globe to alienate potential readers by establishing a bias against an extremely popular local sports team. And why would the Globe hire away the very best young football writer in some years (Reiss) if they had in mind a plan to portray the Patriots in the worst way possible at every convenience?

It seems too many people simply listen to 'media' critics without doing any judging for themselves by reading everything the Golbe prints about the Patriots.

BB is the final word on the Patriots, right? And Belichick's comment (Ted should have told me he couldn't practice) virtually confirms Johnson's version of the 2002 incidents. So where's the beef? If BB's position is the players have to come to him with their injury problems then isn't it sensible that the same players would feel reluctant to stand out and ask for special treatment? The logical inference is that BB wants tough guys and sometimes that mentality works against players with weaker self-confidence, or players fearful to be called a crybaby or weakling, whatever names you have for it.

I agree with the premise that there seems to be a lot more to this story and if the Globe reporters (MacMullan has almost flawless credentials so her complicity seems unlikely) failed to be more diligent about digging deeper then then they should own up to it. The Herald, of course, couldn't even publish a story like this since it's longer than four paragraphs...

Last edited:
In the Globe’s case, the saintly MacMullen, as Bob Ryan and Peter Gammons might describe her, was elected to carry the “Dirty Water”.

Is it me or is the only time MacMullen writes about the Pats is when a player (ie. Asante article)/ex player (TJ) has a beef with the organization.

The Globe has now reported several very one sided stories about Belichick.

Might he retire over these stories? he is really taking a beating.

If this happens no Patriot fan should ever buy another Globe newspaper.

I solved that problem many years ago. I wouldn't buy that rag for toilet paper. I might, however, use it for the bottom of my parakeets' cage, as long as I didn't have to pay for it. The Boston Glob eats donkey ****.

//

The anti-Globe paranoia reaches new highs today. There 20 or 30, or maybe even 100 pro Pats articles printed in the Globe versus any one that has a sniff of negativity. It sounds like most of the detractors here have long since written off the Globe and thus don't see the daily output but only chose to chime in when more 'evidence' is presented by posters continually suspicious of the Globe's motives.

Given the fact that the newspaper industry is in grave condition becuase of the rise of the internet, someone here should explain why it would be beneficial to the Globe to alienate potential readers by establishing a bias against an extremely popular local sports team. And why would the Globe hire away the very best young football writer in some years (Reiss) if they had in mind a plan to portray the Patriots in the worst way possible at every convenience?

It seems too many people simply listen to 'media' critics without doing any judging for themselves by reading everything the Golbe prints about the Patriots.

BB is the final word on the Patriots, right? And Belichick's comment (Ted should have told me he couldn't practice) virtually confirms Johnson's version of the 2002 incidents. So where's the beef? If BB's position is the players have to come to him with their injury problems then isn't it sensible that the same players would feel reluctant to stand out and ask for special treatment? The logical inference is that BB wants tough guys and sometimes that mentality works against players with weaker self-confidence, or players fearful to be called a crybaby or weakling, whatever names you have for it.

I agree with the premise that there seems to be a lot more to this story and if the Globe reporters (MacMullan has almost flawless credentials so her complicity seems unlikely) failed to be more diligent about digging deeper then then they should own up to it. The Herald, of course, couldn't even publish a story like this since it's longer than four paragraphs...

Ron Borges came out today on Felger's show and said BB is responsible for causing TJ's brain damage, and that TJ's brain damage is responsible for his post-NFL collapse. Both of those statements are highly questionable from a factual, medical standpoint. This article is essentially HOKUM. It is a first class smear of a first class man. The fact the "saintly " MacCallum is the author merely shows her reputation is ill-deserved. If supporting the "popular" point of view was the Globe's agenda, they would not be so happily in bed with the Provincetown crowd. They are governed by agendas of which we know little, often inscrutable to the average reader. One of those is the primacy of the Boston Red Sox, another the need to assert their own power and influence even as they hemmorhage money, like the Wicked Witch of the West screaming as she melts.

Yeah I noticed that actually the Globe story seems more well rounded than the Times story. I think that's mainly because they got Belichick to comment, so it presented his side. I thought the Times story sounded much more damaging to Belichick than the Globe, so it's a little surprising that people think MacMullen wrote a hack job.

And I'm not surprised that ESPN was selective. But this is what they do, they choose the most 'entertaining' angle for every story, fair or not.

The NYTimes owns the Glob, so anything either writes is like the child born out of a liaison between a brother and his sister.

The Boston Globe was the newspaper that was delivered to my grandparents home, my parents home, and for many years, my home. As of last year, no more. I've had enough of their BS!!!

I am amazed and embarrassed by the lack of compassion in this thread. TJ appears to have serious medical conditions and now his life is crumbling before him and still people pile on. I hope none of you ever have failing health or witness someone close to you break down either physically or mentally.

It may come out that he used "enhancements" during his career, I suspect he is not in the minority. He played like a warrior for the Pats and the reward he gets from his "fans" is an instantaneous character assault.

He has the ultimate responsibility for his health but his employer also is complicit as is the system that promotes such destruction. The players can also thank their "union" for a total lack of protection for players after they leave the game.

BB is a great coach, one of the best ever but he was part of the problem not the solution. The level of blind adoration and support he receives is mind dumbing, if he was a 6-10 coach I doubt there would be so much love.

Ron Borges came out today on Felger's show and said BB is responsible for causing TJ's brain damage, and that TJ's brain damage is responsible for his post-NFL collapse. Both of those statements are highly questionable from a factual, medical standpoint. This article is essentially HOKUM. It is a first class smear of a first class man. The fact the "saintly " MacCallum is the author merely shows her reputation is ill-deserved. If supporting the "popular" point of view was the Globe's agenda, they would not be so happily in bed with the Provincetown crowd. They are governed by agendas of which we know little, often inscrutable to the average reader. One of those is the primacy of the Boston Red Sox, another the need to assert their own power and influence even as they hemmorhage money, like the Wicked Witch of the West screaming as she melts.

I heard that hour and it really aggravated me. I actually sent a letter to felger calling him Borges butt boy. I asked him what has happened to him and how he could possibly allow Borges to spew his hatred of all things BB. Why is Borges can blame BB for the unfortunate blue jersey (which BB apologized for) yet there was no mention of the other 97% of his concussions that J kept from the team, or his rampant drug use and abuse of speed, or his suspected steroid abuse and his unfortunate abuse of his wife & family.

Look, I really feel for the guy and wish him the best, but is this BB's fault?? Um no way.

So - I continue to hate Borges, Felger, the globe, ESPN and the rest of those that feel they must lie and sensationalize for ratings rather than just report the news and tell the truth.

Something needs to be done a message needs to be sent loud and clear - any ideas?? Anybody?? Ferris??

I am amazed and embarrassed by the lack of compassion in this thread. TJ appears to have serious medical conditions and now his life is crumbling before him and still people pile on. I hope none of you ever have failing health or witness someone close to you break down either physically or mentally.

It may come out that he used "enhancements" during his career, I suspect he is not in the minority. He played like a warrior for the Pats and the reward he gets from his "fans" is an instantaneous character assault.

He has the ultimate responsibility for his health but his employer also is complicit as is the system that promotes such destruction. The players can also thank their "union" for a total lack of protection for players after they leave the game.

BB is a great coach, one of the best ever but he was part of the problem not the solution. The level of blind adoration and support he receives is mind dumbing, if he was a 6-10 coach I doubt there would be so much love.

Many of us have gone through issues in our families worse than what has happened to TJ. We obviously wish the best for him. But his claims are irresponsible, and in his delicate state he is being enabled by a doctor whose judgment is open to question, and manipulated by the media for its own ends. Not all issues are as open and shut as TJ is portraying his own. He bears significant responsibility for his addictions and the actions that have damaged his family. We all wish TJ the best, but he is out of line casting vicious aspersions on others for his own problems.

TJ Thoughts

I’ve always wondered about Ted Johnson and steroids. He seems to have gotten a pass on it. He has two bicep tendon injuries and nothing is said about it. I remember the first one and thinking how odd it was. Then he had this rare injury on his other arm. You hear of a lot of types of injuries, but I hadn’t heard that one before. Next season, he looks noticeably thinner. Nothing said.

His role decreases and he loses he starting position. No Pete Carroll love anymore. Patriots/BB want him to redo his contract over and over again, but apparently tell him he still has a big role. He isn’t put on the active roster, so he walks out. Hey, the guy hasn’t been in practice for two weeks, but maybe Pete Carroll would have suited him up. To his credit, BB has had no qualms about putting anyone on the inactive list.

Last year he even joked with Felger about it. Felger asked what does a player do when things aren’t going well. TJ comments, “I like to walk out of camp for a couple of days.” They had a nice laugh.

After the Flutie drop kick game, Felger and Johnson were on ESPN Boston having a good old time insulting Flutie and making fun of him. Johnson said something to the effect that he was surprised by the Flutie/Belichick hug. Felger said something to the effect of “Well, Flutie is a Belichick guy.” Johnson replied in a pouting manner, “I didn’t know Flutie was a Belichick guy.” It almost sounded like, “how come he gets to be a Belichick guy?” They went on making fun of Flutie. When callers asked TJ who is he to crap on Flutie, TJ went on to say that TJ had a better career. It was all very odd.

TJ is quoted as saying that Belichick "played God with my health." Excuse me but TJ played God with his own health when he decided to take steriods or even play football for a living. I'm sorry his life is in ruins but if he wants someone to blame he can look in the mirror.

Last edited:
TJ Thoughts

I’ve always wondered about Ted Johnson and steroids. He seems to have gotten a pass on it. He has two bicep tendon injuries and nothing is said about it. I remember the first one and thinking how odd it was. Then he had this rare injury on his other arm. You hear of a lot of types of injuries, but I hadn’t heard that one before. Next season, he looks noticeably thinner. Nothing said.

His role decreases and he loses he starting position. No Pete Carroll love anymore. Patriots/BB want him to redo his contract over and over again, but apparently tell him he still has a big role. He isn’t put on the active roster, so he walks out. Hey, the guy hasn’t been in practice for two weeks, but maybe Pete Carroll would have suited him up. To his credit, BB has had no qualms about putting anyone on the inactive list.

Last year he even joked with Felger about it. Felger asked what does a player do when things aren’t going well. TJ comments, “I like to walk out of camp for a couple of days.” They had a nice laugh.

After the Flutie drop kick game, Felger and Johnson were on ESPN Boston having a good old time insulting Flutie and making fun of him. Johnson said something to the effect that he was surprised by the Flutie/Belichick hug. Felger said something to the effect of “Well, Flutie is a Belichick guy.” Johnson replied in a pouting manner, “I didn’t know Flutie was a Belichick guy.” It almost sounded like, “how come he gets to be a Belichick guy?” They went on making fun of Flutie. When callers asked TJ who is he to crap on Flutie, TJ went on to say that TJ had a better career. It was all very odd.

I've had the same questions about Ted and roids because of the injuries but also because he has that Frankenstein forehead strcuture which is consistent with long term anabolic steroid abuse.

Last edited:
Is it me or is the only time MacMullen writes about the Pats is when a player (ie. Asante article)/ex player (TJ) has a beef with the organization.

This definitely seems to be the case lately. She also authored the locker room/Brady/Branch article early in the season.

To top it off, she goes on national shows and keeps claiming that Belichick refused to shake Mangini's hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back