PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Silver lining to losing McGinest, Givens, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
One of the things about the fact that the Patriots haven't signed anyone is that there will be a bunch of comp picks coming the Pats way. Unfortunately, not for McGinest, but for Givens, Chatham, Davis, and Fauria there are potential comp picks, though Chatham and Fauria might not qualify. There is also Stephen Neal, Adam Vinatieri and Tom Ashworth who the Pats could get comp picks for.

The Pats could be looking at having 7 or more EXTRA draft picks next season. As well as the picks they have currently and the money that they will have available.

I mentioned something about comp picks in an early post about Willie. I don't think the NFL would give a team 7 comp picks. But as long as we got a few high ones I would be happy. I would guess we would have to lose 2 out of Adam, Ashworth, and Neal to get a 3rd rounder. Plus if we sign some big free agents won't it hurt our comp. picks? This year I think we could get a couple late rounders.

nada for willie.... we cut him.

The biggest silver lining is we wont have those "will we re-sign willie" and "will we re-sign givens" threads anymore! It's almost like, thank goodness there's been a decision made on those guys already. Even if it may not have turned out exactly like how most fans would have wanted it, at least it's done and we can move on. :D

Last edited:
smg93 said:
The biggest silver lining is we wont have those "will we re-sign willie" and "will we re-sign givens" threads anymore! It's almost like, thank goodness there's been a decision made on those guys already. Even if it may not have turned out exactly like how most fans would have wanted it, at least it's done and we can move on. :D

So, uh, do you think we will resign Adam???

Ugh..potentially worse...

But while those threads will be gone..their will be an increase exponentially in "The sky is falling...what are the Pats to do??" type threads...which I think will dominate the next few days and weeks...

fgssand said:
So, uh, do you think we will resign Adam???

:D Well at least it's two down and only one to go!

But bear in mind that last seasons FA crop did ***** and NE was compensated with comp picks.

If the Pats do a better job this year in FA (which I fully expect) NE may not get as many or high comp picks.

Last edited:
FYI - A team can only be granted 4 comp picks. The Pats will not get a comp pick for Willie since he was released. Please note that if the Patriots sign some UFAs later on, they may not get any comp picks.

Pretty amazing that at least 3 posters (including Miguel) seemed to ignore my saying "NOT FOR MCGINEST".

Miguel, thanks for the info on the Max number of comp picks that the Pats can get.

Triumph, if you get a chance, read up on AdamJT13s info about comp picks. How the players played has very little to do with the quality of the comp pick. Its based almost totally on money. Also, of the Free agents the Pats signed last year, only Beisel was eligible for the equation and he would off-set Adrian Klemm.

This year, the Pats have lost Givens, Chatham, Davis, and Fauria so far. And, its likely that all of them would qualify for the equation, though Chatham and Fauria are likely to get pushed out if they only signed the vet minimum. If the Patriots lose Vinatieri, they would also get a pick from that because of how much the contract would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News