PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Shane Vereen/Ridley thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the Shane Vereen pick. He's a weapon in all phases of the game - rushing, passing, and returning the football. He's one of those 4-down players that BB loves so much. Most importantly he has a rep as a GOOD pass blocker, that means he will be protecting Brady from getting concussions and therefore he will be on the field more often on passing downs.

When Vereen is in there the defense can't key on just stopping the run either because the kid can go out there and run real receiver routes and scorch the defense in the passing game as well. Vereen offers a lot of versatility that gives the Pats offense another dimension that BJGE couldn't give. He also has better size than Woodhead at 5'11 210 lbs. He's an explosive kid who can turn a crack of daylight into a touchdown. So he adds that big play dimension to the offense as well.

Vereen highlights:
YouTube - Shane Vereen Cal Highlights

Now, I'm not as familiar with the Ridley pick but I can understand BB's rationale. Although BJGE does run with some power, he's not quite the 'Mike Alstott' pick up that 4th and inches, move the pile back, type back. Ridley perhaps is the guy who fits the bill for short yardage situations. With the combination of Vereen and Ridley, it is readily apparant that the Pats want to go back to emphasizing the running game and creating a balance on offense in 2011. Teams that can RUN in the playoffs go Deeper into the playoffs. That is the philosophy shift that I think BB was hinting at in the pre-draft party.

Last edited:
People here are dramatically underrating Vereen. I had him pegged as a late round two pick as soon as he weighed in over 200 lbs and ran a sub 4.5. HE is a dynamic pass receiver, and not just screens. You can split him out wide, he can run legit routes. I can't post links yet, but google search Vereen 2008 highlights. He also isn't some little smurf. He carried 40+ times in 2009 against Stanford in the Big Game, and just broke their wii. He is also an excellent kick returner, who can be paired with Tate. (He has fumbled however. That is just an ESPN statistical inaccuracy).

Ridley is the new Sammy Morris. A decent screen catching hybrid RB/FB. AT the goal line the use either a TE or another OL as a FB. However, between the twenties, they like the flexibility of FB without having to give up a spot to just that guy. He is currently a special teams ace.

Did he go a round or two too soon. Probably. However, once they decided they were going to trade their last 3 and a 4 to Oakland, they decided to take a guy that they thought could help their team right away.

Is BB right? Tough to say. HE hasn't had a lot of success drafting rb's, period. I don't know if these guys will work out. But they both have flexibility and leadership, something he values.

What a terrible person, breaking children's toys! :p

Seriously, great writeup. Welcome to the board!

The more I think about Vereen in our offense, the more I like the pick. This is a sneaky draft that will prove beneficial for the team even though people are complaining about it right now. I like what we've done.

At this point, we can definitely say that when the Patriots picked Ridley, they had absolutely no interest in the pass rushers still available, and when you looked at the video of the guys that went after that pick, you might understand why, given the half-hearted hustle on display. The only kid that showed consistent hustle and heart in that spot was, well, very very slow.

I'm of two minds about passing on Allen Bailey because I think he can be good in the NFL but he was a Myron pryor type, and the Patriots had had a long look at him.

Even Belichick said that the values in that area were nowhere near what he expected for next year's second round. Remember, when the Patriots took Larsen last year in the late rounds they said he had graded out to a second and third rounder, whereas the year before, they had 2nd and 3rd rounders graded out to 7th rounders.

I think they lost their opportunity at DE at pick 28. With Heyward and Wilkerson there, I am sure BB thought one of the two would be available at 33. When the Jets and Squeelers took them, I'm sure he lost interest in what was left. If he had do to it again, I'm sure he'd keep 28 and trade 33.

On Bailey, I'm surprised they didn't take him given the amount of time they spent with him.

From Bob McGinn from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, who gets word straight from the mouth of NFL scouts and personnel guys:

5. SHANE VEREEN
California 5-11½ 211 4.49 2
Fourth-year junior redshirted behind Jahvid Best for a year and then backed him up for two more. "He's better than Jahvid Best and he doesn't have that much wear and tear," one scout said. "His blocking obviously will need some work, but he can run and catch." Rushed 556 times for 2,834 yards (5.1) and 29 TDs, and caught 74 passes. "He might be one of the most ready to play behind Ingram," Tampa Bay GM Mark Dominik said. "He catches the ball and has enough speed to be a change of pace." Led the top backs in the bench press (31 reps) and Wonderlic (23). Ran 100 meters in 10.61 as a prep in Valencia, Calif. "Reminds me of Ray Rice," DeCosta said. "Can do everything for you." Father, Henry, was drafted in ninth round by Tampa Bay as a WR in '79 but didn't make it.

One scout/personnel guy polled had Vereen as the best back in the draft, and one had Leshoure as the draft's best back. The rest had Ingram.

10. STEVAN RIDLEY Louisiana State 5-11½ 228 4.67 4
Possibly the toughest back on the board. "I'll tell you what now, that (expletive) is a good football player," one scout said. "He didn't run a good 40 but he is a physical, downhill runner. He's better than James Starks." Fourth-year junior played sparingly for two years before pounding 249 times for 1,147 (4.61) and 15 TDs last season. "He did it at LSU with virtually no quarterback play," another scout said. "That Jordan Jefferson and Jarrett Lee, they were absolutely awful. That line wasn't very good, either." Native of Natchez, Miss. Physical, instinctive, willing participant on all special teams, too. "He doesn't do anything for me," a third scout said. "Just runs up to the line and gets tackled. He's slow."

Last edited:
Agree with most on this thread. BJGE is a solid if not serviceable back. Woodhead is a nice CoP runner and IMO a very good 3rd down back.

Vereen and Ridley give this offense a 2009 NO Saints dynamic. If architected correctly, this offense has the ability to put points on the board via the passing game, but not afraid to run the ball 7-8 times during a drive and be very successful- and dynamic in the process.

Besides, any philosophy with the intent of helping Brady not only be more successful, but perhaps even extend his career buy a season or two, I am in agreement with.

Last edited:
I'm excited about the Vereen pick; I think he's going to be a dynamic, productive runner and pass-catcher for us. I also love the fact that he could be split out and create a coverage mismatch.

Ridley I had to do some research on to feel better about that pick, and now I do. I think he's going to turn into a Gillette favorite with his tough play. Here's some pieces of information that I appreciated learning about him and think Pats fans might appreciate.

From Lindy's Sports:
"runs with a 'punishing style, forward lean and leg drive to bull his way through tackles.'"

"size and strength to dominate in pass protection, as he gives good effort and willingly attacks defenders."

"high effort player who starred on special teams."

From Pro Football Draft Guide

"big, downhill runner who finishes his runs well."

lowers "his shoulders into defender and always falls forward."

"has enough leg drive to push the piles...as a short-yardage back."

Pro Football Weekly

"hard-noses slasher who runs with urgency."

We'll have to see how he works out, but I certainly feel better about having him on our side now.

And the best argument I've read for picking him in the third round was that BB was giving up his 4 & 5 picks, which were probably the place to draft him, and wanted to get his guy, so he pulled the trigger. Great thought that makes a ton of sense to me. I'm looking forward to seeing him on the field.

BJGE was tendered at the 2nd round level.

NESN sees this as insurance in case he moves on. If a team offered a 2nd for BJGE I would take it assuming Ridley works out OK.
Not to mention that with the labor issues, its not impossible that RFAs are set free. On top of that do you really want give BJGE a '1000 yard RB' long term contract in 2012? Even if you may, do you really want to be backed into a corner by it because you have no one else?
I know BJGE is a fan favorite, but the chance of him being here beyond this year is questionable.

That's fine, but it is a luxury pick in the third round given our pass rushing woes. He may well could have been available in the 5th.
So you would rather draft a college DE that has never played OLB that BB clearly feels isnt going to help the pass rush, in order to say we drafted for a pass rusher? There was no one there.

I was very upset with this draft at first, probably because of our weakness rushing the QB and lack of a deep threat at WR. Also, I'm a big Woodhead fan, and how can you not be a BJGE fan. So Vereen, is basically Woodhead's backup, and Ridley is a 5th round talent picked in the 3rd instead of bolstering the pass rush.

But, looking at this a bit deeper, Vereen is more than just a 3rd down back. Despite not being a big RB, he is by no means small. He's 5'10", so not tall, but he's 205, obviously very strong, (most bench presses for RB's at Combine), smart (highest wonderic amongst RB'), and very shifty with good speed. Also, a fantastic receiver, Cal lined him out wide, and he looked like a receiver catching passes. I'm starting to love this pick. He may be slightly redundant (Woodhead is faster and can do similar things), but you need depth.

Ridley is a big strong battering ram, he will be good at short yardage. He's tough to take down, and his only year starting, he ran for over 1100 yards with virtually no line or QB. The offense is basically set, and with Solder/Vareen/Ridley add some talent that will make the offense more diverse, definitely improves the running game. Not to mention, all three are solid citizens.

But Ridley? I can't understand why BB picked him over Leshore, who is a beast and could develop into a solid starting RB.

Because Leshore was taken 16 picks before Ridley ;)

The team probably secretly knows that Kevin Faulk is retiring this year and Ridley will be our next Faulk type player.

Oddly enough both were RBs out of LSU,Perhaps BB sees a little deja vu and sees in Ridley what Carroll saw in Faulk

It would be fantastic if we actually got a running game that was feared for once. This reminds me a lot of the Giants', except hopefully without all the fumbles

I love Vereen. I wanted jahvid best soooo bad and this is a great consolation prize to me. They are similar in many ways. Hes not as fast as jahvid but he is more durable and is very consistent.

On to Ridley. He is what we need. I expected to get someone like him at some point in this draft(delone carter, daniel thomas). I have watched many LSU games and he reminds me alot of our very own Sammy Morris. I personally like Morris, but he is a walking knee injury. Check out this cotton bowl clip. This clip is basically him in a nutshell. And imho it will make our offense so much better.

YouTube - LSU O vs Texas A&M D 2010 Cotton Bowl

The team probably secretly knows that Kevin Faulk is retiring this year and Ridley will be our next Faulk type player.

Oddly enough both were RBs out of LSU,Perhaps BB sees a little deja vu and sees in Ridley what Carroll saw in Faulk

Huh?

Faulk is/was a CoP, 3rd down back who was a force in the passing game.

At 6-0 225 lbs, Ridley is a clap of thunder hitting the line.

There is no comparison between the two player's styles.

So we spent a2nd fora FB. Great

So we spent a2nd fora FB. Great

Umm.. Vereen was taken in the 2nd and is a RB. Ridley was a 3rd round pick and is, by no means, a FB, unless you are referring to the old school FBs like Sam "BAM" Cunningham..

LSU is the only thing Ridley and Faulk have in common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back