PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The San Diego Union-Tribune REPORTS the Pats are shopping pick #28.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably something to the pats putting out feelers for that pick for the sole reason they could end up getting the same player for second round money with the 33rd.

Probably hate paying 1st round money when they could make multiple trades to get out of the last pick in the round (higher or lower).

Of course if a player they really want might be gone by 33, forget that.

When we pick and choose from data, we can compile whatever fantasy we want. It's not that difficult, especially when you realize your math gives equal weight to 1st and 7th round picks when it comes to developing starters.

As for individual decisions, it's easy to look back on any draft and declare everyone stupid for not taking a certain player. Every team passed on Tom Brady multiple times, including us. So to say the Pats screwed up by not taking player x can be accurate, yet entirely misleading since a lot of other teams passed as well. Everyone screwed up, multiple times. But if you only look at one team's decisions without the others, you get very jaded, skewed data. Which you seem to prefer.

In 2005, we could have had Frank Gore or some other nice players instead of Ellis Hobbs and some spare parts. That ignores the fact that every team passed on guys like Gore multiple times, not just us.

The 49ers should have taken Gore over Alex Smith at #1. In fact, I'd rather have Gore than half that first round, which includes Benson (who was a bust in Chicago), Cadillac, Pacman Jones, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams, David Pollack, Erasmus James, Alex Barron, Matt Jones, Fabian Washington, Marlin Jackson, or Mike Patterson. All were 1st round picks taken by other teams. A lot of those teams would miss again in the 2nd.

Yet you're obsessed with the Pats not taking him at 64. Yes, we should have taken him at 64. In fact, we should have taken him at 32. But the only reason he was even available in the 3rd round was because EVERYONE missed the boat on him. Several times.

In 2006, we should have taken Jennings. But a lot of teams passed on Jennings, including Green Bay, who took Daryn Colledge 5 spots ahead of Jennings. If they really knew what Jennings could be, would they have risked that? Minnesota had two picks between when Colledge and Jennings were drafted. They had a need at WR and very easily could have scooped him up but didn't. So the Packers made a good choice, but they were also very lucky no one else took him first. They almost made a big mistake but got away with it.

The 2007 draft was weak, which is why we traded so many picks. But for all the jokes about Kareem Brown, look at that 4th round and tell me who you would have taken really. The only two guys in that round who have gone onto a Pro Bowl were a long snapper and a fullback. Overall, it was a mediocre draft for everyone, not just the Pats.

2008 might have been the worst Pats draft, I agree. But there were many misses by many teams. Faulting us for not taking Biermann ignores the fact that every team ignored him numerous times. Gholston, Derrick Harvey, Lawrence Jackson, Philip Merling, Quentin Groves, Chris Ellis, Bryan Smith, and Jeremy Thompson were some of the DEs taken ahead of Biermann.

Like any area of team-building like FA or trades, the draft isn't perfect. But in terms of money spent to output, it's an invaluable resource. If a few 6th or 7th rounders don't become starters, that doesn't make the entire exercise a failure.

It also ignores the fact that most of the players you want to pursue in trades/FA signings were draft picks. It stands to reason that getting them when they're at their cheapest is an incredible value compared to signing them at their highest contract points later.

Very reasonable and well thought out retort Cousin. We are getting away from the topic and it is my fault for going there. My point is that everybody has gotten on this "trade to the next year" bandwagon because that is what BB does. I am saying it does not always work by example. It does not always transform itself into success.

I see the Draft this year as too valuable with our specific needs fitting within the luck of the best possible pick slots and most talented players and an opportunity to make the Team better, to wait another year to gamble on a better player. If TB was 25 years old, I could wait. If the sweet spot of the positions of talent were other than what we need, I could wait. No one has a crystal ball and if we get Matthews perhaps he doesn't fit back then.

I am just pre-lamenting the fact that BB will trade into next year when what we need now is staring at us this year. It is just the prefect storm for us so to speak with need=available talent.

I am just whining I guess because we might mess with some valuable chips that fit our needs this year and next year who knows?
DW Toys

so finally...the truth behind your posts comes into view...you're STILL all jacked off that the Patriots missed on Clay Matthews...so you post inanities like "way back in the early part of the century things weren't the same!!!!" implying that not taking Matthews somehow proves the Patriots have had real bad drafts the past few years. Why don't you just say so at the start and spare everybody all this drama?

Not really. It was just an example. I like the Draft o.k. but a mix is what I prefer. I like NFL proven players by FA and Trades more than I trust a 17% success rate of the average NFL Draft. Build through the Draft sounds great in theory. Someone ought to tell Al what to do. I enjoyed the 07 Pats more than the 2010 Pats and we had some very exciting Trades and FA picks ups. Look at the Saints in their SB year. Look how much better the Bears got with Cutler, Peppers, and even Taylor to a lesser extent. Yes a mix is needed but talented trade management brings Teams to the next step faster. I am not thrilled that the Pats only have 8 Starters in five years (non-kickers) by spending multi-millions of dollars in judging 21 year old kids. Give me a Woodhead, Crumpler, Moss, Dillon, Harrison, Vrable...you see where I am going.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Trading down has historically proven to be a good move.

Andy, Not so much. Take away the last two years and the Draft here has been mediocre at best including all of BB's maddening trades.

Yes, lets take away the last two drafts which have been home runs. And lets also take away the 5 solid drafts prior to 2006. If we only look at one specific area with blinders and ignore the rest of history, then of course it's easy to draw ridiculous conclusions.

Nicely put!!
jester.gif

The NFL was different in the early turn of the century than it is now.

We traded our third for Oakland seventh (yikes) and a third in 2008.Then in 2008 it was a disaster after Mayo with Wheatly, Crable, O'Connell, Slater, Wilhite and the other unforgetables....leaving these guys for other consumption like Jamaal Charrles, Cliff Avril, Finley, DeCoud, Biermann, Choice.It was like a conspiracy of fail misses! That might have been the worse Draft year in Pats history. 2009 was no hero year. Chung , Brace and Butler our first three are still to be determined. How can any one say other than Volmer and and perhaps Chung that was a swell home run Draft class. We swapped Clay Matthews for Butler and Tate. Anybody want to take a mulligan on that one? Edleman and Pryor made up for the top and middle being weak. Two starters and four JAGS with Brace, Edleman and Pryor as promising an TBD. Not as good as 2009 but a major gaff on Matthews. 2008 a Home run? Maybe a double. 2009 was better.

DW Toys

Dude!! Way back "in the early turn of the century"?? WHAT??
jester.gif

When we pick and choose from data, we can compile whatever fantasy we want. It's not that difficult, especially when you realize your math gives equal weight to 1st and 7th round picks when it comes to developing starters.

This thread is hilarious!!
jester.gif

My point is that everybody has gotten on this "trade to the next year" bandwagon because that is what BB does.

Wrong. That's another fantasy, as it usually is when anyone starts a statement with "everybody."

Speaking for myself, I'm on the Trading Back "bandwagon" because you generally DOUBLE the value of the Pick you trade.

If I find a way to do that with $1,000, I'll be a Millionaire by the end of the decade.

I enjoy your creativity, Brother Toys, but I just think you're way off base on this one. I do like the "pre-lamenting" line, though. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back