PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The rebirth of the TE

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO it's not the run/pass ratio that we need to be concerned about. It's the effectiveness of the running game when it's mandatory to be effective. Tough 3rd and 1s. Goal-line. Defenses respecting the play-action. Wearing down defenses in the 4th qtr.

Agreed. There were a lot of head scratching calls on our 3rd and shorts last year. On 3rd and say 2 we would throw out of the shotgun. This is not superbowl Patriot football, we iced big games with aggressive oline play in short yardage situations and that has been missing from our offense.

Yeah, obviously those things are important. There's no doubt about that and I agree. I was just commenting on the fact that it looks as if Brady won't be dropping back every play and being expected to make a play every time. With more balance, teams won't be as willing/able to pin their ears back and go straight for him. They'll have to respect the run. It's all important.

I hope you are wrong since one of the things I am looking for this season is Brady to go back to throwing to the open man instead of zeroing in on Moss/Welker.

Couple of ways it can go......#1 is with the better weapons available, teams won't be able to roll coverage to Moss freeing Moss up for more big games......#2 is they keep overplaying Moss and Brady doesn't force the ball to him and the Pats other WR's put up good numbers.

I think teams will roll to Moss early on and then be forced to play the Pats honest after they see what our other WR's/TE's can do.

I couldn't agree more, another season of Moss and Welker having 200+ receptions would not be good. Last year teams were able to adjust at halftime and shut down the offense because Brady was only comfortable throwing to Moss and Welker. Even in the game against Atlanta, I was not at all happy with Welker coming in and Brady forcing it to him on three straight plays, hopefully this year there's a better distribution of receptions.

I couldn't agree more, another season of Moss and Welker having 200+ receptions would not be good. Last year teams were able to adjust at halftime and shut down the offense because Brady was only comfortable throwing to Moss and Welker. Even in the game against Atlanta, I was not at all happy with Welker coming in and Brady forcing it to him on three straight plays, hopefully this year there's a better distribution of receptions.

Brady has definitely been guilty of this, especially last season. However, I don't think that was the case last night. I think they knew Welker was only going to play a few downs and decided to call his number early just so that he could get hit and get some sort of feeling back for actual game speed. So last night wasn't Brady forcing it to Welker, I don't believe. I just think they wanted to get him some reps because they planned to and did yank him early.

Last edited:
Brady has definitely been guilty of this, especially last season. However, I don't think that was the case last night. I think they knew Welker was only going to play a few downs and decided to call his number early just so that he could get hit and get some sort of feeling back for actual game speed. So last night wasn't Brady forcing it to Welker, I don't believe. I just think they wanted to get him some reps because they planned to and did yank him early.
Good point and now that I think about it probably the case. A training camp with Welker not fully back yet I think was a huge blessing in disguise because it forced Brady to develop a rhythm with other guys, but last season it was probably also the problem that forcing it to Welker is better than throwing it to Sam Aiken.

Why wouldn't it be good?

Because it would mean that Brady hasn't broken his habit of going to them like they're his one-two binky. This was a big problem last year.

We really need to go back to spreading the offense like we used to.

Something like 1 out of 5 of Gronk's receptions at Arizona went for TDs.

Interesting that it's such a low fraction. I guess he was used all over the field.

However, being one of the better receivers at Arizona and being one of the better ones on a pro team are not quite the same thing ...

I've said that before too. He looks like a WR out there.

Too bad his blocking is also reminiscent of a WR's. :)

A kinder way to say that might be that he blocks like Dallas Clark, or a young Tony Gonzalez ...

I might get flamed for this, but Gronk is all-world in the new Madden. Up the seam, double coverage, first down 2/3 times.

I sure hope he's like that in real life...

I might get flamed for this, but Gronk is all-world in the new Madden. Up the seam, double coverage, first down 2/3 times.

I sure hope he's like that in real life...

I hope I don't derail the thread too much, but how is this year's iteration? I've heard that it isn't all that good, but you never know. I tried to download the demo, but my connection was too inconsistent.

I hope I don't derail the thread too much, but how is this year's iteration? I've heard that it isn't all that good, but you never know. I tried to download the demo, but my connection was too inconsistent.

Same as most years, to me. Really good, but annoying to have to forget the controls from last years. Adjustments at the line (Both O and D) have a KILLER new system, but it takes a while to get onto.

Way less annoying animations and Collinsworth still doesn't know what he's talking about.

For the Pats, you can use Welker and Moss early and late and then go all TE's and Edelman/Tate through the middle of the game to freak out most D's. Sounds like an interesting plan in REAL FB too...

I like Madden for helping me get through the off-season. Don't play much during the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes