PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Published Wells Report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CEfe8s5UMAAs-4O.jpg:large

Matt Chatham ‏@chatham58 3m3 minutes ago
To former NFL players that follows me-"independent" firm in Wells Report defended league v players in concussion suit

Matt Chatham is doing God's work.

There's also a tremendous amount of problems in the report, and an overwhelming bias throughout. Anything the Patriots say is questioned, anything the officials or NFL say is accepted and used as an assumption in the scientific analysis. That is ridiculous. The officials made several mistakes, and they are excused every time, and no harm is done to their credibility in the eyes of Wells. Amazingly, they take Walt Anderson at his word for almost everything, but when its convenient for their data to think he mis-remembered which gauge he used, they assume so. It's BS.

I agree with the rest of your post, but I want to highlight this section. You even have this extended to the initial complaint from the Colts. The report states "The Grigson email did not contain any factual support for the suspicions raised, and the NFL was unaware of any factual support prior to the game."

Further, the Colts equipment personnel "also cited unspecified chatter throughout the League that the Patriots prefer their footballs softer than other teams and that visiting teams should be on guard when playing at Gillette Stadium. They could not identify a specific source for this information or reference particular conversations."

The statements by the equipment guys remind me of conversations about girls in high school and college: "If you take Jenny out for a nice, expensive dinner, she'll do anything on the first date. Anything!"
"Oh yeah? Cool. How do you know that? Did you guys go out?"
"Oh, no. I just heard it. Everyone knows it though."

But that was enough to start the whole ball rolling.

If that's true (that the "four times" was with respect to NFL Security) than I lose some respect for Kraft since Kraft's statement was clearly crafted (heh) to make it sound like the investigators had talked to McNally four times. And, frankly, it's completely reasonable for the investigators to want to talk to McNally a second time after having seen those texts (the first time they talked to McNally was before they saw the texts).
Problem is, I would not believe anything said by the league or Wells. If I had to choose between Kraft and the league/NFL, I believe Kraft everytime. I would need some source other than the league to discredit Kraft (or anyone else for that matter). The league has no credibility.

Be reassured that you're not starting to sound like Felger. You make sense.

Anyway, I wonder whether Brady not handing over his telephone is going to be that big of a deal. If the shoe was on the other foot, Goodell wouldn't hand over his. Rich celebrities have names and numbers, and more, on their telephones that is nobody's business but their own. Goodell probably has some people in his contacts list he would not have leak out through some junior lawyer, and some selfies that he'd rather not make their way to sites like this one.

The Wells report is starting to unravel as journalists are reading the footnotes and parsing the conclusions that were written as defensively as possible by Wells and his team. If asked by a federal judge in a hearing about the arbitrator's ruling to uphold an NFL suspension, Wells can say, "I didn't say he did it, Your Honor, I said it was more probable than not that Tom Brady had general knowledge of inappropriate blah-blah-blah."

Ted Wells embarrassed himself with this report.
Yep.

Was just listening to Beetle and Zo and was reminded that Favre was slammed w/ a $50k fine for not turning over his phone on a Jenn Sterger harassment case. Different set of circumstances but there is precedent of a player being fined for not turning over their phone.

In that case, Favre wanted it to go away.

Not sure what TB12 wants to do but if Yee's language is any indication, he will not go quietly at all.

So, after now two days reflection, I have less clear thoughts on the matter.

On the one hand, the "scientific" analysis done by the hired guns, Exponent, is flawed and easily debunked. I actually think the scientific evidence is still in our favor. The fact that they landed on this Exponent group is telling, and indicting against the league. We know they weren't the league's first pick, and I would encourage a Curran or Reiss to find out if the reason they ended up with Exponent was because they weren't getting the answer they wanted from a more reputable source. Exponent really mangled the data, and was willing to use assumptions and come to conclusions that I do not think academic sources would feel comfortable doing so.

This is the first I've heard that Exponent wasn't the league's first choice. Who was? And can you provide a link?

Yep.

Was just listening to Beetle and Zo and was reminded that Favre was slammed w/ a $50k fine for not turning over his phone on a Jenn Sterger harassment case. Different set of circumstances but there is precedent of a player being fined for not turning over their phone.

In that case, Favre wanted it to go away.

Not sure what TB12 wants to do but if Yee's language is any indication, he will not go quietly at all.
The difference is Farve was accused of texting pictures of his junk to Ms. Sterger. Seems his phone would be direct evidence. The NFL had all of the correspondences they needed for this case.

When you throw away the following, all you have left is a classic witch hunt:
  • Laws of Physics and the Scientific Method
  • Rules of Evidence
The end result is endless accusation and innuendo with no basis in facts or laws. And like lemmings, the masses follow the ignorant accusations with torches and pitchforks. Civilization is lost. It can happen here.

Yes and it kills me to say this but the fact that TB12 didn't fully cooperate w/investigators and the Pats denied access to McNally, this can (and IMO will) be used as justification that the investigation was inconclusive b/c Brady and the Pats did not fully cooperate. Thats the warped logic Goody has. "We found nothing wrong but the fact that you didn't cooperate makes you guilty.". Such BS.

Gawd...I'm starting to sound like Felger.:mad:

First off, TB12 DID fully cooperate with investigators. He spent a full day with them. Including going over things in his phone.

Secondly, McNally was interviewed for significant amounts of time on 4 prior occasions. Why would they need to interview him a 5th? The Pats Legal Counsel is the one who said enough.

The difference is Farve was accused of texting pictures of his junk to Ms. Sterger. Seems his phone would be direct evidence. The NFL had all of the correspondences they needed for this case.

Yep. I agree. I was just pointing out that Favre was fined based on his non-cooperation with the league. Not for actual harassment

Yep. I agree. I was just pointing out that Favre was fined based on his non-cooperation with the league. Not for actual harassment

The NFL has no legal basis to ask for Brady's phone. Brady cooperated and met with them. They didn't use any of this in the report.

First off, TB12 DID fully cooperate with investigators. He spent a full day with them. Including going over things in his phone.

Secondly, McNally was interviewed for significant amounts of time on 4 prior occasions. Why would they need to interview him a 5th? The Pats Legal Counsel is the one who said enough.
I agree completely. It's Wells that doesn't feel that way.

Pats legal council told the Wells Brownshirts that he would answer any follow-up questions that they would have for McNally. They just didn't agree to having him appear in person again as he had been inconvenienced enough.

Yee asked Wells to narrow the scope of the messages. It was the league that remained vague in their scope.

Typical framing of circumstances to make the Pats and Brady uncooperative when they were.

The NFL has no legal basis to ask for Brady's phone. Brady cooperated and met with them. They didn't use any of this in the report.
I agree. If there was a scheme to break the rules, why would Brady text people other than Jastremski or McNally? Is he going around texting Giselle, Belichick, and Mark Wahlberg saying "I can't believe I got away with 11.5 psi balls today. Wouldn't have won without them"?

You can certainly cooperate with an investigation that is seeking things related to that investigation. When you are vague and just demand everything, I would fire any attorney who tells me to just give over everything I have for their fishing expedition ESPECIALLY knowing the reputation of the NFL and the general envy/hatred of the Patriots organization.

Yep. The report wasn't purposed to provide legal grounds (but did). It was purposed to prove guilt and make the NFL look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back