PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Press Defense is Finally Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Re-watched the game off NFL Rewind today. Looked at it from the 'coach's film' and 'condensed' views, paid special attention to the defense.
I love the return of the press defense; on most plays the corners and 1 safety are up at the receiver in non-obvious passing downs. I've been waiting from 2005-now for the Pats to stop playing that garbage pass D where even on neutral downs the corners are 10 yards off the receiver.
It may be better talent in the secondary, maybe better talent at linebacker, or the D-line (maybe all 3), but whatever it is I'm just GLAD it's back. This defense is nasty. There was a Pats fumble recovery, an interception, and a sack that I think were called back due to penalties. This defense has undergone a complete transformation.

It's still up for debate exactly how much press was used, and how much this is a change from their philosophy due to a few factors, the most important being that it is only the first game of the season...BUT

There certainly seems to be a lot more physicality to this defense here, and it's nice to see that the addition of a couple young beasts in the front seven (and some healthy players) is/are offering the potential that so many of us saw when all of the 'experts' were crying about how our defense was a total seive for the next several yrs.

So far, so good after one game--but I think this defense has some major playmaking upside. I also think the secondary will/has improved.

I'd be curious to know if this was just testing the replacement refs and how much it was bringing back the press philosophy or the fact that he has satefies he can trust?.

I agree, I can't stand to see the CB 10 yards off the receiver on first and 10 to give up a soft 5 with some YAC (then again, I'd hate to see it on anything other than 3rd and 10).

Hopefully, the trend will continue and the secondary can be compliented by the DL.

I haven't reviewed the All-22, but from the television angle it looked like quite a bit of press was used during this game, and the results were better than last year. Aside from the end zone pass (which could have been a PI), McCourty looks like he's trusting himself to be able to turn his head around when the ball is on it's way. Of course, it's only the first game and we have a long way to go. But it's good to see more press employed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes