PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Possible Downside of a Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea why you would reply to my post in this manner. I guess you must have missed my last sentence. Here it is again, "But, if I'm Brady, I take it to the end."
No:p. I had a feeling you would take it that way. I was kind of reiterating your point. Just not very eloquently. Sorry. I'm just angry and bitter with the state of the MFL, the country, the world. ... Jeez , I sound like a psycho!!!:(

No:p. I had a feeling you would take it that way. I was kind of reiterating your point. Just not very eloquently. Sorry. I'm just angry and bitter with the state of the MFL, the country, the world. ... Jeez , I sound like a psycho!!!:(
No problem here. I actually couldn't agree with you more. There have been loads of moronic ideas floated around since this all started. But, none stupider than the notion that even if Brady believes he did nothing wrong he should just give it up. Idiots.

I would rather him retire than serve any suspension. Really the only way he can preserve his innocence at this point.

Even though I disagree, I understand the thinking. However, being "forced" to retire would be one of the worst ways to end such a distinguished career. Obviously, I do not personally know him, but I'd be completely shocked if that thought ever crossed his mind for a split second.

That's the opposite of what Tom Brady is. He doesn't quit, and he doesn't get pushed around. He isn't going to allow some asshat to dictate how long his career is. No way in hell.

Keep fighting until the end. If the SC fails then defamation. If Defamation fails then rent a Chinook and drop a couple of tons of dog **** mixed in with rotten eggs on someone's vacation home up in Maine.

So the Patriots entire 2017 season rides on:

1. The whim of a dingbat SC Justice;

2. The League acting in good faith this season if the stay is granted.

Not seeing much cause for optimism. :(

We're all disappointed that this situation has gone this far, but I'd hardly think that "the entire season rides on" Brady playing/not playing in 4 games. It's still very much a team game, and the hope is that we can at least go 2-2, with anything better acting as icing on the cake. Hell, after the opener in ARZ, the next 3 games are all at Gillette.

If you're looking at it that way (read: solely about record and postseason chances), pretend that he sprained his ankle and will miss several games. Problem solved.

If Defamation fails then rent a Chinook and drop a couple of tons of dog **** mixed in with rotten eggs on someone's vacation home up in Maine.

How this hasn't been done already is beyond me. I'm certainly not condoning any acts of vandalism, but I've got to admit that I'm surprised that our fanbase hasn't gotten "creative," as it pertains to this subject.

Retirement would just be capitulation to the owners who pressured Goodell to cheat Brady and the Patriots. It's quitting. It makes no sense.

I'd encourage Brady to follow one of two strategies:
  • Appeal to the Supreme Court.
  • Put out a statement saying both that he won't appeal to the Supreme Court for whatever reasons, AND that he's filing suit for defamation, because he's completely innocent, and the NFL is the one that's guilty of gross dishonesty.
I.e.:
  • He should keep fighting in court ...
  • ... but he can be practical about how he fights.
  • The enforced 4-week vacation isn't the biggest deal here; at a certain point, he should indeed stop trying to prevent that.
  • The biggest deal is the NFL's total dishonesty; he should never give up the fight against that.

Even though I disagree, I understand the thinking. However, being "forced" to retire would be one of the worst ways to end such a distinguished career. Obviously, I do not personally know him, but I'd be completely shocked if that thought ever crossed his mind for a split second.

That's the opposite of what Tom Brady is. He doesn't quit, and he doesn't get pushed around. He isn't going to allow some asshat to dictate how long his career is. No way in hell.
I agree the idea of retirement for these reasons has probably never crossed Brady's mind that just doesn't seem to be how he thinks.

It's the move I would pull and it would not be "forced" I would make it perfectly clear that I will not work for a boss (Goodell) who smears me in such away and who would suspend me for doing nothing. I would go through all my grievances point by point and very publicly. Then I would go and play in the CFL.

When the Patriots went a few years ago, the masses outside of New England shouted 'see, can't win without cheating'.

If the Patriots win again (or multiple times), somebody from those same masses will run a probability analysis - similar to the since debunked fumbling stats - and shout 'they had to have cheated to win that often'.

For those folks it is always a 'heads I win, tails you lose' conversation.
Who gives a flying f*ck about the masses at this point anymore? Seriously, aren't we all used to it by now. None of our SB's are valid to them anyway, so why not continue to try to win 'em if you're the Pats? So, just win...if I may borrow the phrase. There will ALWAYS be some kind of rationale or excuse for why they win so much. Nobody outside of fans and those who are indifferent will ever give Tom or the Patriots the credit they so clearly deserve. Any hope of that and frustration that comes from its lack is on you (speaking generally) at this point. If you (again speaking generally) haven't just accepted that fact, then you deserve high blood pressure and confrontations. Leave it alone and I promise you'll be happier and feel even better about the organization's success.

Let me tell you two SUPER EASY ways I enhanced the quality of my life. I a) cut out ALL ESPN and all other outside media sources (if it ain't Reiss and a select few others, I don't hear ****) and b) I've not only learned to accept the mindless hatred, I've embraced it. Everyone loved them in 2001, even though they all thought the SB was going to be a massacre. But the winning didn't stop. And as is the case with almost all great, sustained teams, people start to get tired of it. It isn't an underdog story anymore. As Bruce Wayne and Harvey Dent discuss, "You either die the hero, or (win) long enough to see yourself become the villain." This run, this dominance of 16 seasons has turned NE into the villain.

Look, let "them" say what the F*ck they want. A guy saw me in my Pats hat a few months back and tried to engage me in the reasons why Manning is better. TD record this, passing record that. Better command of defenses, etc. All the while I stayed quiet and just kept loading my groceries. When he finally paused, I simply relied, "You right, bro. Have a good one," and I watched his face turn to pure confusion. He just didn't expect that. About six years ago I would have jumped all over, in and through that debate. Now, I simply just don't care what anyone's opinion is on the matter. I felt 10x better walking away from that dude, even though he was actually pretty cool about it unlike so many I've dealt with, then I ever did debating anything about Tom or the team in years past. Let it go. Let it breathe. I PROMISE you will enjoy this ride a lot more. And if Jimmy G sticks around long enough and progresses like we think and hope, the run may not be soon over. Please love yourself enough to live free of the haters.

Sorry to be so long-winded but I just don't get how or why anyone on this board or who calls himself or herself a fan of this organization cares anymore. Aren't we all used to it by now? It's been about 12 of the 16 seasons now that people have been talking ****. I'll end here. Riddle me this: When you realized Butler caught the pass and all NE had to do was run out the clock and they'd be champions...in that moment were you (general) thinking about what people would say? I damn sure was not and never will again. That even extends beyond sports at this point in my life as well.

Last edited:
It really pisses me off that "The 31"and the NFL*, all real POSs, have put the Pats and Brady in this situation. What's good for Tom going forward is no longer best for the Pats.

That said, if I had to choose, given the viciousness of how this went down, I'm backing Tom to the end. Keep fighting, Tom. Take it all the way, even if it risks 4 games late in the season. If SCOTUS won't hear the case, play out the rest of your career and then file a defamation suit (with all proceeds earmarked for charity).

I know and respect that opinions on this differ, but that's how I feel about it.

Go PATs!

We're all disappointed that this situation has gone this far, but I'd hardly think that "the entire season rides on" Brady playing/not playing in 4 games. It's still very much a team game, and the hope is that we can at least go 2-2, with anything better acting as icing on the cake. Hell, after the opener in ARZ, the next 3 games are all at Gillette.

If you're looking at it that way (read: solely about record and postseason chances), pretend that he sprained his ankle and will miss several games. Problem solved.

It goes well beyond that. I'm seriously fed up with this. NFL politics, the media, and dipsh*t loser NFL fans are making this sport unbearable. I'm not even sure if this is really a sport anymore . . . it seems more like reality TV.

I didn't even want to watch last year (and with all the skewed calls against the Pats, I'm sorry I did), but Sunday football has always been a big get together for friends and family so it's too hard to just walk away for social reasons. Aside from the social get together aspect, this just isn't enjoyable anymore.

No, you actually sound like one of the seemingly few sane people still hanging in there. This world is crazy.

It goes well beyond that. I'm seriously fed up with this. NFL politics, the media, and dipsh*t loser NFL fans are making this sport unbearable. I'm not even sure if this is really a sport anymore . . . it seems more like reality TV.

I didn't even want to watch last year (and with all the skewed calls against the Pats, I'm sorry I did), but Sunday football has always been a big get together for friends and family so it's too hard to just walk away for social reasons. Aside from the social get together aspect, this just isn't enjoyable anymore.
No disrespect, but maybe you should just stop watching if it bothers you that much. It sucks. Absolutely! It's a terrible thing the league has done to is it's best player (as far as I'm concerned, not just the best QB). Absolutely! But what more can you do as a fan right now? Any of us? Either accept it and support the team or roll on to the next chapter in your life. It's really your choice.

I can only control myself. I know damn well where I'll be starting July 28 and beyond. When Brady puts the cleats away for good and BB has called his final game as HC, then I'll re-evaluate my NFL future.

Last edited:
Brady has no hope of success in a defamation suit - the cards are stacked against him:

1. He is a public figure
2. Statements made during the legal proceedings are protected
3. Goodell was very careful about what he said otherwise
4. Can't use the leaks

What he can do, is a very public appearance on something like 60 Minutes - bring in the science guys, do a hands-on experiment showing how the pressure drops in the cold and wet, discuss the misleading leaks and the NFL's refusal to allow the Pats to correct them, show how the Wells report was deceptive (like the misleading pictures of the gauges) and so on. If done effectively it would restore his honor and totally skewer Goodell.

Brady has no hope of success in a defamation suit - the cards are stacked against him:

1. He is a public figure
2. Statements made during the legal proceedings are protected
3. Goodell was very careful about what he said otherwise
4. Can't use the leaks

What he can do, is a very public appearance on something like 60 Minutes - bring in the science guys, do a hands-on experiment showing how the pressure drops in the cold and wet, discuss the misleading leaks and the NFL's refusal to allow the Pats to correct them, show how the Wells report was deceptive (like the misleading pictures of the gauges) and so on. If done effectively it would restore his honor and totally skewer Goodell.
Brady wouldn't do it anyway, so it's moot. Kraft won't be suing anyone either, so that'll be moot when inevitably there's a thread about it if/when the team takes the field week 1 without TB12. And I don't think it'll be because if of legal chips. It just wouldn't make sense for either of them or their legacies, which I am sure both men care deeply about. Ironically, I think they believe any suit would cause even more damage.

It sucks. It all sucks. But all I can do is support my team no matter what. So that's what I'll do.

How this hasn't been done already is beyond me. I'm certainly not condoning any acts of vandalism, but I've got to admit that I'm surprised that our fanbase hasn't gotten "creative," as it pertains to this subject.
Fly, I admire the fact that you seem like a pretty cool person to know and under normal circumstances I'd be right there with you in not condoning vandalism. But as they say, there's an exception to every rule. If I knew where that f-ing house was, the egg shelves and toilet paper shelves would be empty. I'm going all in on vandalizing that summer home. I expect it to be listed on the market soon because it's hard for me to believe he'd be stupid enough to ever land in Mass again. I'd hope my antics dropped the value a bit, even if not by much. F*ck, the dude made 32 mil last season. He'll be aight.

Fly, I admire the fact that you seem like a pretty cool person to know and under normal circumstances I'd be right there with you in not condoning vandalism. But as they say, there's an exception to every rule. If I knew where that f-ing house was, the egg shelves and toilet paper shelves would be empty. I'm going all in on vandalizing that summer home. I expect it to be listed on the market soon because it's hard for me to believe he'd be stupid enough to ever land in Mass again. I'd hope my antics dropped the value a bit, even if not by much. F*ck, the dude made 32 mil last season. He'll be aight.
It's in Maine.

I meant to put that. Thanks for the correction. I think I got caught making two points at once.
The only reason I corrected you was because you sound serious and I want to make sure you know where you're going and/or don't get lost. Not that I, along with Supa, would ever condone such behavior (map quest has the necessary details...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft