PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Playoff Picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're going to get that sort of thing when you have a large playoff field so, no, it's not a case of "wrong again".

Not meaning to take sides in your debate, but I think your example of the NBA hits it on the head.

Teams with losing records are getting in the "top 8" system, regardless of division winners.

The Patriots didn't get screwed in 2008.

They played a soft-as-Charmin schedule and lost to every good team they played.
You want to make the playoffs that year? Don't turn the ball over twice in Indianapolis. Don't let the Jets walk down the field against you in overtime. Don't embarrass yourself at home against Pittsburgh and Miami. Don't completely no-show when you go to San Diego.

The Patriots didn't deserve to make the playoffs in 2008. They weren't good enough.

The 8-8 Chargers beat the absolute and total dogshit out of the Patriots that year, and also beat the Colts in the first round of the playoffs.

Don't give me "the Patriots got screwed". They didn't deserve it.

It wasn't just the Pats. The 8-8 Chargers got to play in the playoffs while the 11-5 Pats and 9-7 Jets, and their fans, stayed home.

In 1990, the Saints got into the playoffs as an 8-8 wild card team, in a league that had just 3 divisions in each conference.
In 1991, the Jets got into the playoffs as an 8-8 wild card team, in a league that had just 3 divisions in each conference.
In 1999, the Lions got into the playoffs as an 8-8 wild card team, in a league that had just 3 divisions in each conference.

You're going to get that sort of thing when you have a large playoff field so, no, it's not a case of "wrong again".

Wrong YET again.

In all of your examples those teams had the 6th best record in their 16 team conference. That's why they made it to the playoffs. I'm sure there weren't more or you would have listed them all individually.

Of course, that has nothing to do with the fact that teams with lesser records are making the playoffs over teams with better records under the 4 team "division" setup.

Nice try though.

Not meaning to take sides in your debate, but I think your example of the NBA hits it on the head.

Teams with losing records are getting in the "top 8" system, regardless of division winners.

Help me here sup. What does that have to do with the NFL? If the NFL disregarded the "division" winners then there would be zero teams making the playoffs with losing records or teams with better records sitting home.

In the last 7 years of this idiotic 4 team division setup there have been 5 teams make the playoffs with worse records than 8 other teams who sat home. And to make it worse, some of those 5 were beaten by one or more of those 8 teams.

Only in the NFL does your record say what you are but not for the playoffs.

And to make it worse, some of those 5 were beaten by one or more of those 8 teams.

This doesn't make things worse, it demonstrates that those division winners were playoff caliber.

Yes, the current system is such that the top wild card will occasionally have a better record than the bottom division record.

If they don't like it, then they should have won their division.

You mean like Indy has won their division with Andrew Luck? In his 3 years in the NFL his team has competed for their vaunted division title against just 3 teams with a combined record of 47-97.

Twice just in the last 5 years a team with a losing record won their division and went to the playoffs while teams with better records and possibly wins against those teams have sat home.

The stupidity of this setup seems to be trending upwards, or would that be downwards?

This doesn't make things worse, it demonstrates that those division winners were playoff caliber.

What?!?!? You mean to say that the 7-8-1 Panthers were more playoff caliber last year than the 10-6 Eagles? And that they deserved a home game against 11-5 Arizona because they won a suckass division consisting of Atlanta, NO and TB with a combined record of 15-33? Seriously, where did you come up with that?

What?!?!? You mean to say that the 7-8-1 Panthers were more playoff caliber last year than the 10-6 Eagles? And that they deserved a home game against 11-5 Arizona because they won a suckass division consisting of Atlanta, NO and TB with a combined record of 15-33? Seriously, where did you come up with that?

I didn't "come up" with anything, I pointed out that your logic was unsound. The fact that these teams won games illustrates that they were at least reasonably close to playoff caliber. If they were getting blown out, then you'd have a stronger argument.

I didn't "come up" with anything, I pointed out that your logic was unsound. The fact that these teams won games illustrates that they were at least reasonably close to playoff caliber. If they were getting blown out, then you'd have a stronger argument.

Sorry about the smarmy comment. It won't happen again.

I simply don't like the idea that teams like Carolina last year get into the playoffs with a much worse record and playing against worse teams, than teams with better records and tougher schedules.

I'm sure the NYJFL designed it this way to ramp up interest for teams that would otherwise be knocked out sooner, but now it has gone too far in that direction.

It wasn't just the Pats. The 8-8 Chargers got to play in the playoffs while the 11-5 Pats and 9-7 Jets, and their fans, stayed home.

They also played a substantially inferior schedule.

The Chargers beat the Jets 48-29, and the Patriots 30-10 that season. They were the better team, and proved it.

By the way? 9-7 guarantees you absolutely nothing in the NFL, unless you can somehow win a division with it.

The Patriots and their fans deserved to stay home.
The Jets and their fans deserved to stay home.

Their teams weren't good enough to make the playoffs. The team you're arguing for them against crushed them both during the season. Those weren't "4th quarter 50/50 games" those were ass-kickings.

Again, you don't want the Patriots to stay home in 2008? Don't kick 5 FG in Indianapolis. Don't let the Jets march down YOUR field at home in OT after an amazing comeback. Don't get popped for pot in the offseason, and let a guy new to the team try to pick up blitzes in the game you're suspended for.

I shed no tears for the 2008 Patriots. They accomplished a lot considering they didn't have their QB, but they didn't deserve to make the playoffs ahead of San Diego that year. They didn't.

You mean like Indy has won their division with Andrew Luck? In his 3 years in the NFL his team has competed for their vaunted division title against just 3 teams with a combined record of 47-97.

Twice just in the last 5 years a team with a losing record won their division and went to the playoffs while teams with better records and possibly wins against those teams have sat home.

The stupidity of this setup seems to be trending upwards, or would that be downwards?

Indianapolis justifies their playoff appearances by winning in the playoffs.

Sorry about the smarmy comment. It won't happen again.

I simply don't like the idea that teams like Carolina last year get into the playoffs with a much worse record and playing against worse teams, than teams with better records and tougher schedules.

I'm sure the NYJFL designed it this way to ramp up interest for teams that would otherwise be knocked out sooner, but now it has gone too far in that direction.

Except they didn't.

The Panthers and Cardinals each had 4 games against playoff teams (Arizona had Seattle twice, and got destroyed both times).

The Panthers beat the dogshit out of Arizona, and was within 4 points of Seattle into the 4th quarter, IN SEATTLE.

Need I remind you, they went up there and beat Seattle there this year?

Indianapolis justifies their playoff appearances by winning in the playoffs.

At least Indy had a better record than the teams that missed out, unlike the Panthers last year, or SD in 2008, Seattle in 2012, Denver in 11 or the Packers in 13. I'll give them that.

Except they didn't.

The Panthers and Cardinals each had 4 games against playoff teams (Arizona had Seattle twice, and got destroyed both times).

The Panthers beat the dogshit out of Arizona, and was within 4 points of Seattle into the 4th quarter, IN SEATTLE.

Need I remind you, they went up there and beat Seattle there this year?

Forget about this year. Carolina is for real this year.

You gave me an example of 3 games from last year and they lost 2 of them. The only teams they beat on their way to their 7-8-1 record and "division" title were TB twice, Detroit, Chicago, NO, Cleveland and Atlanta.

If the 11 point win AT HOME vs Arizona was beating the dogshit out of them, what is the 14 point loss to Seattle called, since they were outscored by 10 in the 4th quarter?

Try as you might, there's absolutely no justification for Carolina getting to play in the playoffs last year at 7-8-1 while Philly, playing in a much tougher "division" had to sit at home and watch them, even though they beat the living crap out of Carolina during the season. That's preposterous.

It's fun to talk about though.

You mean like Indy has won their division with Andrew Luck?
Yes, like that.
In his 3 years in the NFL his team has competed for their vaunted division title against just 3 teams with a combined record of 47-97.
And how does reseeding change any of that?

You bring up Indy, but they are not a good example supporting your point. They won their division last year and hosted a WC team with a worse record. They won their division 2 years ago and hosted a WC team with an equal record.

The cream will rise to the top. Any team that wants to host a playoff game should concentrate on winning their division and not worry about the AFC South.

Yes, like that.
And how does reseeding change any of that?

You bring up Indy, but they are not a good example supporting your point. They won their division last year and hosted a WC team with a worse record. They won their division 2 years ago and hosted a WC team with an equal record.

The cream will rise to the top. Any team that wants to host a playoff game should concentrate on winning their division and not worry about the AFC South.
Thank you. I can't stand the whining about teams that don't get into the playoffs even though they've got this or that record.

As you and others have said, win the damn division. Division play adds a nice aspect to the season, last thing they should do is change it.

What is the tie breaker scenario with teams with exact wins and same conference wins? Cincy and NE both play at Denver, what if they both finish with the same records? Might it come to a coin toss for home field advantage?

The Patriots didn't get screwed in 2008.

They played a soft-as-Charmin schedule and lost to every good team they played.
You want to make the playoffs that year? Don't turn the ball over twice in Indianapolis. Don't let the Jets walk down the field against you in overtime. Don't embarrass yourself at home against Pittsburgh and Miami. Don't completely no-show when you go to San Diego.

The Patriots didn't deserve to make the playoffs in 2008. They weren't good enough.

The 8-8 Chargers beat the absolute and total dogshit out of the Patriots that year, and also beat the Colts in the first round of the playoffs.

Don't give me "the Patriots got screwed". They didn't deserve it.

what you stated is true, however not having Tom Brady played a huge role in that. Pats probably go 14-2 and win the superbowl that year with Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back