PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official Pats - Dolphins Week One post-game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: the official post game thread

The WRs combined had 18 receptions for 322 yards.

No doubt that is good but 160 of those yards were to Welker out of which 100 came through running the length of the field. About 100 more came to Branch, who as I said before got a good matchup on a backup corner that Brady milked. That leaves 60 out of which 46 came via Slater on a single play. I will admit that I actually missed that play live and I am encouraged by this knowledge. Hopefully Slater will continue and be able to catch deep passes going into the future.

Miami were unable to generate pressure on Brady for most of the game which freed up both tight ends to go and receive catches downfield. We will play teams which will generate a ton of pressure and have good corners as well. The tight ends will then be asked to block more and our WRs may not be able to get open. I wish we had a receiver good enough to beat a good corner one on one for a deep pass.

No doubt that is good but 160 of those yards were to Welker out of which 100 came through running the length of the field. About 100 more came to Branch, who as I said before got a good matchup on a backup corner that Brady milked. That leaves 60 out of which 46 came via Slater on a single play. I will admit that I actually missed that play live and I am encouraged by this knowledge. Hopefully Slater will continue and be able to catch deep passes going into the future.

Miami were unable to generate pressure on Brady for most of the game which freed up both tight ends to go and receive catches downfield. We will play teams which will generate a ton of pressure and have good corners as well. The tight ends will then be asked to block more and our WRs may not be able to get open. I wish we had a receiver good enough to beat a good corner one on one for a deep pass.

so you disagree with the Miami corners stating publically that THEY are the best tandem in the NFL?...don't believe me?

Vontae Davis: Miami Dolphins’ corners are best in NFL - Miami Dolphins - MiamiHerald.com

Prepare to be Gronked feeble human

10.jpg

I wonder if Haynesworth will get a fine for the punch, palm to the head of the guy who was trying to twist his knee at the goal line play. Did anybody see that? I am glad the crew kept quiet on it. Could have hurt us big time.

That was that turd Incognito - it was like he was trying to lie as awkwardly as possible across Haynesworths lower leg.

Given Haynesworth previous when faced with a prone lineman at his feet - I think Mr. Incognito can count himself lucky.

That was that turd Incognito - it was like he was trying to lie as awkwardly as possible across Haynesworths lower leg.

Given Haynesworth previous when faced with a prone lineman at his feet - I think Mr. Incognito can count himself lucky.
Ahh yes, i was thinking about Andre Gurade when i saw that. Incognito was lucky AH did't step on his head.

Happy with the win!

Obvious somethings need to be improved, but it is the first game with a short pre-season! It's going to be a little rusty!

Football is back, and it is good!

Well, I never knew that Woodhead was an everydown back. The number of times they ran him up the middle in traffic - I thought he was only a scat/option back. LOL.

Woodhead just continues to surprise.

How stupid was Miami throwing that last pass to Marshall with nothing left to prove. It looked to me like a knee hyperextension or worst case he has ACL issues. Not good for Fish if so.

I was saying the same thing a little earlier when Henne was running all over the field. The game was essentially over (yes, the Dolphins still had a 2% or so chance to win it). You want to avoid significant injuries in these situations - and still move the ball, of course. But don't take the big hit and don't put yourself in a position to take the big hit.

Just because you lost the battle doesn't mean you forget about the war. Play smart! Stay healthy!

so you disagree with the Miami corners stating publically that THEY are the best tandem in the NFL?...don't believe me?

Vontae Davis: Miami Dolphins’ corners are best in NFL - Miami Dolphins - MiamiHerald.com

Has the suicide watch for #28 Cole been lifted yet? To be fair, he was responsible for a lot of the yards by the WR's.

Then again he was on the field because Brady ran the best CB tandem into the ground. Either way when you have the best CB tandem in the NFL you probably shouldn't be giving up 500+ yards.

This is another reason that it makes me sick that Sanchez would get any credit for that 'victory' the other night.

Boys lose their top 3 CB's and Sanchez proceeds to be so-so. Brady gets one match-up and proceeds to abuse the guy until he just about curls up into the fetal position.

And Branch's play is just another example of the vast over-ratedness of pre-season games.

Re: The official Post game thread

One downside I saw was our game management on offense. Pretty weird. It was like me playing Madden on easy mode and killing the computer, accumulating yards, but never putting the game away because of bad game management.
So is Welker supposed to stop at midfield and not take the TD because they need to keep the defense fresh? :confused:

As Brady said, the offense likes scoring points, and anytime they have the opportunity to do so, they need to take it.

So is Welker supposed to stop at midfield and not take the TD because they need to keep the defense fresh? :confused:

As Brady said, the offense likes scoring points, and anytime they have the opportunity to do so, they need to take it.

No but we had a chance to get a few 1st downs by running. The 3rd and 1 with 3:30 left is one of those spots where you just ram it down their throats. Did we have a single running play that didn't get us a yard?

That is the one that really sticks out because it was late in the game and all you need to do is ice it at that point. There is no reason to be throwing in that situation.

Get a 1st there and it saves us 70 yards of garbage time passing yards and I don't have to listen to all the useless moaning.

Brady and the O may like scoring points but BB is the coach and needs to rein him in sometimes when running out the clock is more important than padding stats.

Re: Someone fill me in

Total yards with 8 minutes left was 260.

Some of you must be brain dead.

I would say the "soft", prevent needs work.

There were some things to like and some things to not like about the D. Here is Miami's drive chart:

12 plays, 84 yds, 7:18, TD
3 plays, 9 yds, 2:11, punt
6 plays, 31 yds, 3:35, punt
3 plays, 1 yd, 0:51, punt
4 plays, 24 yds, 2:38, punt
1 play, -1 yds, 0:02, half (let's not count this one)
2 plays, 9 yds, 0:44, TD (this came after the fluke INT)
10 plays, 87 yds, 4:47, FG (the Pats locked them down in the red zone)
3 plays, 6 yds, 0:21, punt
3 plays, -4 yds, 1:02, punt
- - -

Let's stop right there. At that point, the score was 31-17. Miami had one good TD drive (opening drive of the game), which was aided by a spectacular one-handed catch by Fasano. They deserve credit for making the play, but the defense wasn't bad on that play...it was just an amazing catch.

They also had another long drive that led to a score (the 87 yard FG drive). So in those two drives they had 171 yds, resulting in 10 points. Ok, good work Miami, not-great defense by New England. But everything else was outstanding. Up to this point, outside of those two drives, Miami ran 24 plays for 76 yds (3.2 avg), over the course of 7 drives (about 11 yards a drive). The one score they got was a drive that went 9 yards, due to excellent field position after the Brady INT.

The Dolphins ended up, over the last 8:48 of the game, putting together some production. In the last 3 drives, they ran 27 plays for 213 yds, scoring another TD.

Now, this doesn't mean those last 3 drives were garbage time. In fact, on their 3rd to last drive, the Dolphins were behind by 14 and drove to the Pats' one yard line, but the Pats held. If Miami scored there, it would have been a one-score game and, despite outplaying Miami all game long, the Pats could have been in a tight spot. After the ensuing 99 yd TD pass that put NE up 38-17 with 5:44 to go, though, the last two Dolphin drives were pretty meaningless.

Still, the Dolphins did have a few successful drives, but on the whole, when it really mattered, the Pats' D was pretty decent. Not great, but pretty decent. I'd give them a B- for the game.

In the universe I inhabit, the Pats sacked the Phins numerous times with Brady sacked once behind a makeshift OL. Sucks to be in your universe.

Chad Henne put up nearly 500 yards passing. I live in reality, in your little world I hope your content with another first round exit if this defense makes you happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chad Henne put up nearly 500 yards passing. I live in reality, in your little world I hope your content with another first round exit if this defense makes you happy.

Not that it's that much better, but 416 is not what most people would call "nearly" 500.

Last edited:

You have indeed broken down (to some extent) how those 18 catches made by the wide receivers totaled 322 yards. And at the end of the day, it still totals 322 yards.

Personally, I'm encouraged by what I'm seeing out of Tom Brady's long ball. The Patriots also had a 40 yard completion called back by Ocho Cinco lining up incorrectly by a yard, a 45-yard pass down the sideline that a better receiver than Slater would have caught and a 50+ yard bomb that it appeared that Welker could have caught if he didn't slow down just the smallest bit shortly before the ball arrived.

I guess we'll just have to settle for the top passing game in Patriots history though and not concern ourselves with the other 70 yards or so that would have made it an NFL record.

Brady and the O may like scoring points but BB is the coach and needs to rein him in sometimes when running out the clock is more important than padding stats.

Exactly, because Tom Brady is all about padding his stats. :rolleyes:

If this is still the defense in week 17, then we have reason for alarm.

But you also need to keep in mind that this is just about as new a defense as the one the Patriots put out last year. Yeah, there are more veterans, but there are a lot of people out there last night with very little playing time as a unit during the shortest and wildest preseason in NFL history. They clearly have the potential to be a very good defense—look at the goal line D and the 2/12 on third downs and there's certainly a lot of room for improvement.

You're also neglecting that there were four sacks recorded on Henne, with an average loss of 6.5 yards. If there's no pass rush, why did Henne meet the turf so many times?

So, let's not panic just yet. There's plenty of time for this to defense to come together.

Last edited:

Exactly, because Tom Brady is all about padding his stats. :rolleyes:

Would it make you feel better if I said scoring on every single possession? There are game situations where killing the clock is more important than trying to score. It is Brady's nature to always try to score. I wasn't saying it as a negative trait. :rolleyes:

But if you give Brady the option of running or passing he will choose passing because it's what he loves to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back