PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official Pats - Dolphins Week One post-game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Someone fill me in

You look back at the dynasty era and the Pats gave up a lot of yards, but few points.

2003: Pats ranked 7th in yards allowed and surrendered 291.6 YPG.

2004: Pats ranked 9th in yards allowed and surrendered 310.8 YPG.

The only year in the dynasty era where this statement is accurate was in 2001, when the defense was a work in progress. In the dynasty era, when we were winning Super Bowls, the defense did not give up a lot of yards, nor did they give up a lot of points. I've gone on record as saying that I think the defensive performance last night was more of a product of the shortened offseason than anything. But let's not pretend that the defense used to surrender a ton of yards in the dynasty era in an effort to excuse the amount of yards they gave up to a team with zero inside running game and Chad Henne at quarterback.

Last edited:
Chad Henne put up nearly 500 yards passing. I live in reality, in your little world I hope your content with another first round exit if this defense makes you happy.

how many sacks did the maligned D post?
How many would that project to be for a season?

How many times did the pass rush put Henne on the ground?

I was responding to your bizzare "lack of a passrush" comment, NOT posting an essay on the pass D

Reality bites

Last edited:
Re: the official post game thread

You have indeed broken down (to some extent) how those 18 catches made by the wide receivers totaled 322 yards. And at the end of the day, it still totals 322 yards.

Personally, I'm encouraged by what I'm seeing out of Tom Brady's long ball. The Patriots also had a 40 yard completion called back by Ocho Cinco lining up incorrectly by a yard, a 45-yard pass down the sideline that a better receiver than Slater would have caught and a 50+ yard bomb that it appeared that Welker could have caught if he didn't slow down just the smallest bit shortly before the ball arrived.

I guess we'll just have to settle for the top passing game in Patriots history though and not concern ourselves with the other 70 yards or so that would have made it an NFL record.

The offense was spectacular, there is no other way to describe the record setting performance. But I am saying that the WRs are not cutting it. Deep passes to WRs are still not in our repertoire and no WR has caught balls over cornerbacks which good WRs routinely do in the NFL. That is why I say good thing we have those two TEs...

The offense was spectacular, there is no other way to describe the record setting performance. But I am saying that the WRs are not cutting it. Deep passes to WRs are still not in our repertoire and no WR has caught balls over cornerbacks which good WRs routinely do in the NFL. That is why I say good thing we have those two TEs...

In the game that I was the Observer, Slater was 1 for 2 catching DEEP passes well over defending CBs.

Last edited:

In the game that I was the Observer, Slater was 1 for 2 catching DEEP passes well over defending CBs.

If you ignore all of their good plays, then you'll see that the WR's didn't really do much.

Offense was excellent. Not much more you can say there without ballwashing it. Connolly, Waters and Solder were very impressive.

Defense was not what I expected but sound. I'm pretty sure many were expecting the 86 Giants out there just clobbering the QB every play. What we did come away with was a improved 3rd down defense. atleast for one game. The Dolphins were 2-14 which makes me suprised they scored 24 points. It seems the Patriots got good pressure, especially towards the end. The Patriots were well conditioned and did not look tired out there at all. Depth and a ton of substitutions will be in our favor this year.

McCourty looked overmatched against Marshall and that pretty much sums it up. He made some good plays out there too but for the most part Marshall got the better of him Monday . DM bounces back in a hurry.

Dowling had a nice rookie outing and really gives people a reason to get excited. I'm looking forward to watching this kid proggress.

Overall it was a big division game and a win. Considering all the new faces and looks I'd say this was a nice start to a season. They are only going to get better as the season goes along.

Facepalm_gorilla.jpg

That was only 1 play. And by over I meant jump over, not run past.

Yeah, why run past a corner for a huge gain when you can jump up in the air then get tackled. Lots of YAC after those jump balls.

Re: Someone fill me in

2003: Pats ranked 7th in yards allowed and surrendered 291.6 YPG.

2004: Pats ranked 9th in yards allowed and surrendered 310.8 YPG.

The only year in the dynasty era where this statement is accurate was in 2001, when the defense was a work in progress. In the dynasty era, when we were winning Super Bowls, the defense did not give up a lot of yards, nor did they give up a lot of points. I've gone on record as saying that I think the defensive performance last night was more of a product of the shortened offseason than anything. But let's not pretend that the defense used to surrender a ton of yards in the dynasty era in an effort to excuse the amount of yards they gave up to a team with zero inside running game and Chad Henne at quarterback.

Likewise, in 2003/4, the offense wasn't putting up 600+ yards and didn't put up 38 points that often.

The reality is after the first drive, Miami drives 2-9 produced one long drive that produced a FG and a 9 yard TD drive.

If you want to be critical of the soft,"prevent" whatever it is; that's fine. It was problem last year. The same could be said of the offense.

However, when the game was undecided it was 52 minutes and and about 250 yards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing