PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots vs. Panthers Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there was a determination that, in essence, uncatchability, that the ball was intercepted at or about the same time the primary contact against the receiver occurred.

That's an outright lie...the .gif doesn't lie. He's lying and he KNOWS he's lying. Someone must have his back for him to say this or he would have just let the league office make the determination later this week. It wouldn't change the outcome, so why is he lying? the ball isn't even in the picture at the start? he's a liar...why?

822649524.gif

The DB changes direction for the INT literally a half second before the Carolina LB pushes Gronk away. I don't think that comes close to uncatchable if the LB isn't pushing Gronk to the back of the end zone.

Now would Gronk have caught it w/o being pushed?
Probably not but it isn't impossible if he isn't held. If there is a shred of possibility that Gronk could have made a play on the ball w/o being held then it is a penalty. The fact the flag was picked up is crap. An uncatchable pass is horribly frustrating. If you throw the flag which is reasonable then don't pick it up!

Pereira is right. If you threw the flag and there was the slimmest chance of Gronk catching it stick with it. And this comes from a guy who usually agrees w/controversial calls. We were robbed. And frankly I could never see the refs picking up that flag in the same situation in Foxboro which says something about the refs.

Finally, some sanity from you whining ****ies.

I have removed this user permanently due to the content of their opening post. Obviously that's not the conduct we're looking for, so please disregard their previous post.

I know 99% here believe it was the wrong call. I don't blame you guys either. But I have a question.

I saw a game a couple years ago on fox. Can't remember the teams. Similar situation happened, albeit not t the end of the game. Either way...the wr was completely mugged in the end of the end zone while the ball was in the air. However, there was an additional db who tipped the ball maybe 5 yards in front. Flag was thrown and then picked up. They brought in mike pereira to clarify and said it's not possible to have pass interference no matter what IF the ball is tipped prior, despite how much contact there is to the intended wr.

Is this similar or a different situation? I'm assuming tipped and int are virtually the same thing. Just curious if that's irrelevant or not.

After every pats loss I feel like having aged 50 yrs....the whole week becomes crappy...dont know what to say...I dont pull out the luck card usually but his team has had some of the worse luck recently, not just this game or this yr. Iam just gutted tonite.

Attaboy to Kenbrell Thompkins. Healthy scratch against Steelers and comes back and makes two good catches on the only two times he was targeted.

Not sure how many snaps he even had.

Also finally Boyce returns kicks but never did. If Belichick read PatsFans he would have had a smirk and been saying "See!"

I know 99% here believe it was the wrong call. I don't blame you guys either. But I have a question.

I saw a game a couple years ago on fox. Can't remember the teams. Similar situation happened, albeit not t the end of the game. Either way...the wr was completely mugged in the end of the end zone while the ball was in the air. However, there was an additional db who tipped the ball maybe 5 yards in front. Flag was thrown and then picked up. They brought in mike pereira to clarify and said it's not possible to have pass interference no matter what IF the ball is tipped prior, despite how much contact there is to the intended wr.

Is this similar or a different situation? I'm assuming tipped and int are virtually the same thing. Just curious if that's irrelevant or not.

dont know the rules but illegal hands + tipping go together...

A tipped ball makes all the difference in the world. In this case, however, the ball was not tipped prior to the illegal contact. As a matter of fact, the illegal contact was initiated prior to the eventual interceptor even getting to the other side of Gronk, and that same interceptor actually bumped into Gronk on the way to making the INT.

Random Thoughts:

1. The call/non-call is garbage, I think everyone agrees. Let's be clear, the Panthers earned this win; Newton played great (though I can't stand this bull**** that he 'outdueled' Brady, who was phenomenal and I think has put to bed any belief he's "struggling"), and ultimately they made more plays than the Pats, who really put themselves into this situation by having a lot of bonehead plays in the first-half. But that said, there should have been one more play, no question. Maybe on the goal-line, with the chance for a Brady sneak...

2. Deus mentioned how the game was kinda reminiscent of the last Super Bowl loss, and I agree. The Patriots put themselves into a hole with dumb plays early on; the offense, which moved well against the Panthers all night, bungled their first two drives. I know everyone wants to defend Ridley, and he is their best runner, I get that. But the bottom line is, he fumbles in big spots, and I can't blame the coaches for not trusting his ass. The Patriots looked like they were rolling to score on either of those drives, and that would have made the difference.

I'm not going to ***** too much about the call on Mankins, since I didn't see it and no one else did apparently. But man, the O-line play really didn't help in the first half.

On the other side of the ball, I was so pissed off at Talib. Obviously I don't know what was going on, but I think it was clear he wasn't totally 100% and had to shake off the rust, and he was rattled he wasn't totally himself. Smith proceeded to successfully exploit that. But in general, the defense just couldn't get off the field all night. It's amazing how few drives there were in the entire game, which played exactly into the kind of game Carolina wanted. Newton embarrassed the front seven, which clearly misses Wilfork, Mayo, Kelly, et al. But the secondary was nothing good too, which is not fortuitous leading into this next game.

Bottom line, they had to at least hold the Panthers to a FG on their last drive. Unacceptable.

3. I can go either way on this talk about the 3rd and 1 call. On one hand, I'm with Deus, Brady was on fire at that point so why not play the numbers? I saw someone mention how you had to right with Blount's "adrenaline rush" there, which just sounds dumb and I'd rather play what the statistics tell me is working. Also, if the play works and the Pats get a TD, we'd all congratulate the Pats for being clever and going for the jugular instead of just getting another set of downs. All that said, it seemed like no one was open on the play, which leads me to believe Carolina was expecting the pass (maybe not, I have no clue what defense they were in and have no compulsion to go back and watch the game). If that's the case, gotta wonder why Joshie or Brady didn't opt to check into a different play/run.

4. I heard people giving Belichick crap for not calling a timeout at the end of the first half. I don't care about this. At that point I'd rather see the team go into half-time and figure out all the stuff they were screwing up.

5. Man this game really sucks.

EDIT: Props to both KT and Dobson. This was the first game where they both felt really organic in the offense. We really will need this offense to roll now, because I think this defense is too decimated up front. If Talib can heal up and get his head out of his ass, and Dennard, Arrington, and Gregory (lol) all get back, I'll feel okay about the secondary still. On the other hand, the more the Pats start to score, the more pressure will be put on the secondary as opposing offenses try to keep pace.

Austin is a straw man for the ESPN conglomerate..c'mon, they needed an "expert"...why not use Granpa when you can get the megastar of retired refs to give his opinion? Oh wait, Pereira thought the flag was valid???...paging Jerry Austin...Jerry???...put down the Ensure , put your dentures in and ramp up your hearing aid,,,we need an "opinion" just like we discussed...OK buddy??

Dog-and-pony-show.jpg

Attaboy to Kenbrell Thompkins. Healthy scratch against Steelers and comes back and makes two good catches on the only two times he was targeted.

And he caught them with his hands and not his body!:)

Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 2m
Defensive pass interference would have put the Pats on the 1, where they've scored TDs on just 5 of 17 plays this season.

Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 49s
The Patriots' 29.4 TD percentage on plays from the 1 is the fourth worst in the NFL this season.

Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 2m
Defensive pass interference would have put the Pats on the 1, where they've scored TDs on just 5 of 17 plays this season.

The Patriots' 29.4 TD percentage on plays from the 1 is the fourth worst in the NFL this season.

This is just stupid. So what, because the Pats offense has been bad all year up until two weeks ago, we should just say "AH GEE THEY WOULDN'T HAVE MADE IT ANYWAYS"?

On a play that monumental, you throw bull statistics like that out of the window. 1 yard line, literally 00 seconds left. Brady sneak wins the game.

Finally, some sanity from you whining ****ies.

Funny we always thought you were ****sies. Our boys will deal with you soon enouph, enjoy today.

Frankly if you watch Joker's post of the GIF then you know it is a bad call for two reasons;

1) The ball was absolutely not uncatchable had Gronk not been held. He could have at least contested against the DB who made the INT. That is not the definition of uncatchable.

2) Don't throw a flag then pick it up if it can go either way. It should be downright conclusive to pick it up, which it was not.

Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 2m

Most of the year we didn't have Vereen, Gronk and Amendola. And our rookies were gaining experience. There is a very good chance they would have scored and won.

A tipped ball makes all the difference in the world. In this case, however, the ball was not tipped prior to the illegal contact. As a matter of fact, the illegal contact was initiated prior to the eventual interceptor even getting to the other side of Gronk, and that same interceptor actually bumped into Gronk on the way to making the INT.

But that's what I'm confused about. What if the interceptor had "dropped" the int or tipped it? Does that make a difference? In the game I previously mentioned...it was clear interference...but negated because of the tip...even though the contact was already being made prior to the tip. So what's the difference? And why does this have to be so complicated haha.

I'm sure if it was only gronk and the lb...it would have been a pretty clear cut call...but the fact that the interceptor was there changes it? I dunno honestly.

Game plan for the Donkeys:

Just bear hug all their receivers every single play

No foul.....right?

Exact same thought I had.

Just drive the receiver away from the ball. No flag because it's considerable uncatchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back