PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots vs Cardinals POST game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I know that. So All Ninko has to do it set the edge and Jones can funnel Kolb to the left.

Ninkovich was getting pressure from the left side.. more than a few times Kolb had to run AROUND Nink and the RT to get away from Jones. Kolb is just slightly faster than Jones was..

my biggest question is what the hell is going on with Wes Welker? I am becoming concerned with it expecially if AH81 is out for a while. We need him.

I say this knowing he had a solid game but why is he out of the starting lineup? Why is Edelman getting more snaps? I understand some situations Edelman is a great run blocker but still something doesn't seem right.

Honestly, the Pats should never had been in position for the game to be as close as it was. The Cardinals D is good,I will say that. However, Brady should be able to put up at least 2-3 TDs today. My concerns is that they still lack WR speed to even challenge teams down the field. It looked like the same offense to me from last year which isn't a good thing.

Ninkovich was getting pressure from the left side.. more than a few times Kolb had to run AROUND Nink and the RT to get away from Jones. Kolb is just slightly faster than Jones was..

I was so impressed with Jones today.

Tavon Wilson to

It was a bad call. John Lynch said so himself.

See how that works?

Yeah, it goes to show that there is no absolute consensus on the call....big surprise.

But to say that the refs didn't want New England to win....like I said....Oakland Raider fan mentality.

Gostkowski missed the game-winning FG. That's a fact. A 42 yarder is makeable. But I won't blame it all on him. Just a bunch of mistakes today added up to that loss.

Edelman was tackled into AH and then a second Arizona D-lineman hit him when he was on the ground on top of AH.. Can't blame Edelman for that.

I was only joking bud.

Someone just ask me this and I really could not answer him. If we have had our present kicker in the early 2000s, do we win our superbowls? I saw the kicker drinking water before the kick and just knew the pressure was too much for the guy.

Maybe not the first one, but we'd still win in '03 and '04. Teams were too good. People forget that AV missed a gimme in SB38 and had another one blocked. And Ghost was perfect in the 2006 postseason including game winner against SD and another huge 4th quarter kick the following week that could've won if not for.... I'll stop there :(

The end of the game was crazy. We caused and recovered a FUMBLE, scored a TOUCHDOWN, but got called BACK, and then we MISSED a game winning field goal.

My voice is almost gone

Gostkowski missed the game-winning FG. That's a fact. A 42 yarder is makeable. But I won't blame it all on him. Just a bunch of mistakes today added up to that loss.

can't blame him His 53 and 51 yard field goals kept us in the game. I will still take him over 99% of the kickers in the game.

On the plus side, the first 3 picks are looking pretty great on defense. Jones had a great game and Hightower was solid. Wilson was in the right spot on that first fumble and didn't really get beat all game. I like this defense.

This offense isn't horrific, it just needs to find it's identity. Are they a full out running team? No. Are they a full out passing team? Well, not exactly. This 50-50 run/pass offense isn't what the Pats are. They should be more 40-60 run/pass. I like seeing Ridley run don't get me wrong. But to try to see him as a 90-100 yard back is ridiculous. I think McDaniels should also not be as reliant on Lloyd as he was Moss. They are two completely different players with their own skill sets. I expect more Welker next week and maybe even a little bit of Salas mixed in.

I can definitely see this team beating Baltimore next week, even without Hernandez playing. McDaniels will learn from this game and make the proper adjustments to slice up that aging Ravens defense (who are still good, but lack the stamina of younger players). So everyone can just calm down from this game. This could end up being the Redskins game of 2003 or the Miami game of 2004. The team will fix it's mistakes and become more of a force to be reckoned with.

still can't believe this is the first home opener loss at gillette stadium

reminds me of the buff loss like last year

Last edited:
40+ yard field goals, with no time remaining, are not gimme's.

I always laughed at coaches who, with over 1 minute to go, would run it (or take a knee) when they reached the opponent's 25 yard line - in effect settling for a 40+ yard field goal. I recall numerous amounts of games lost by 2nd rung coaches who made such mistakes. A 42 yard field goal with no time remaining is vastly different than the kicks Ghost was making earlier in the game. I never thought Belichick would make this mistake, especially with Brady at the helm. A 30 or less yarder is a gimme. A 35 yarder? Maybe. A 40 yarder is probably a 50-50 proposition. OK, with Ghost it's probably 70%. But, even that kind of risk is unnecessary when you have Brady who almost certainly (90+%) will be able to get you an extra 10 yards or so with 1 minute remaining.

It's this simple, with the game on the line who's hands do you put your fate in- Tom f***** Brady with 3 downs or a kicker with one shot from 40+ yards? Really shouldn't even be much of a decision

Last edited:
my biggest question is what the hell is going on with Wes Welker? I am becoming concerned with it expecially if AH81 is out for a while. We need him.

I say this knowing he had a solid game but why is he out of the starting lineup? Why is Edelman getting more snaps? I understand some situations Edelman is a great run blocker but still something doesn't seem right.

Welker looks slow out there. Not sure if it is an injury or what.

Didn't Gronkowski have a handful of shirt? There was a bunch of lousy calls but that was spot on. Gronk had a nightmare in that last minute or so. I mean how do you false start on a taking the knee play?
I just rewatched that play - 61" HDTV, slo mo, and I couldn't see any hold. Gronk's hands were inside the pads as properly coached and though I was watching for it I saw no pulling of shirt. It was a BS call.

That said, we were lucky to even be in the position to have a chance to win that game. You can't count on the other team fumbling at their own 30 while trying to run out the clock. Sure it was great play by Spikes but it still takes some luck to even have the opportunity to put your hat on the ball like that.

Still, if we had to lose I am glad it was to an NFC team. It is the least expensive possible loss when it comes down to end of season tiebreakers, and maybe it will be a wake-up call, like the week 2 loss to the Redskins in 2003. At least we won't have to listen to the 16-0 talk.

It was kind of one of those season of the witch kind of games. We outgained them 387-245, and had more first downs 25-16, and better 3rd down efficiency. Turnovers were even at 2 to 2. 9 times out of 10 you win games like that. Today our problem was that every time we got the ball past their 40 yard line we shot ourselves in the foot with dumb play calls or penalties and had to settle for field goals. That's why we lost, IMHO. But that is not likely to happen very many times in a season.

The end of the game was crazy. We caused and recovered a FUMBLE, scored a TOUCHDOWN, but got called BACK, and then we MISSED a game winning field goal.

My voice is almost gone

All Patriots Fans during the last 2 minutes:

"YES!!! WOOOOOO!! YEAAAAAA! SPIKKKKESSSSS!!!!

WOODHEAAAADDDDD!!!

HOLDING? WHAT!!!!! NOO F'N WAY!"

Gostkowski misses FG:

"NOOOOOOOO!!!! ARHGHHASKNDFLKJASNDKMMASDLKASDaaaghhhhhhh.... "

The oracle has spoken, and believe me, he would love to lay another oops on the replacements because this time he isn't one of them, but he couldn't.

Mike Pereira‏@MikePereira

For those that are asking about the Gronkowski call. Technicially it is but I've seen worse that don't get called.

1) WHy is Edelman getting more snaps than Welker? Why??? So glad they committed $9.5M to a part-time receiver. This better be a plan of keeping Welker fresh for the 2nd half of the season.

2) OL still needs work, Brady pressured/hit too many times for comfort.

3) D looked good again

4) O looked out of sync all game. Never rebounded from 1st play turnover and AH injury. Hope AH isn't hurt too seriously.

Missed the game fellas, how did the defense do? Specifically the rookies and McCourty?

It's this simple, with the game on the line who's hands do you put your fate in- Tom f***** Brady with 3 downs or a kicker with one shot from 40+ yards? Really shouldn't even be much of a decision

Gostkowski was 3/3 on the day and had already hit a 53 yard FG.

Brady was having a bad day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes