PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots Draft (Day 1) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely delighted with the McCourty pick.

Nickel CB at least, potential starter. We spend a huge amount of snaps in the nickel defense, and with Marshall and Holmes arriving in the division, we needed to add another quality corner.

Unless you guys were happy with Johnny Wilhite there.....

Superb day for us - I'd have been happy with McCourty at #22, let alone 27 - and we bagged a third and fourth rounder.

This was to be the most imp pick in the Belichick era, and its not the best choice... terrible pick, not the player, but where they picked him... Im stunned right now..

Horrible pick passing on Ordick and Bryant. The team is no better then it was yesterday and the 1st round is done.

And yet there are six more rounds to go. Let the whole thing play out before we jump off of bridges.

BB always wants to think he is the smartest coach/out there....and leaves everyone scratching their heads as to what he is up to....... only problem is he is historically bad at picking talented.....and arrogant. First thing analysists said. Was.......
"Well he is a great special teams player".....
""

The only mentality I'm going on is the "he has never played DE in a 3-4 in his 8 year NFL career and it might be a steep learning curve that he isn't ready to grasp, mentality.

I truly think that is nothing to worry about. BB has consistently said that the 2gap technique is the 2gap technique, which is why we always have players who play NT/DT/DE interchangably.
As I said, its easier to play over the T than inside, I think its fair to trust that if he has been successful in the NFL for 8 years he can make the very minor transition of lining up one player out.

Horrible pick passing on Ordick and Bryant. The team is no better then it was yesterday and the 1st round is done.

We could've picked Suh and there would be no way of knowing if this team is better today than it was yesterday. You can criticize the pick all you want, but this argument is absurd.

While I am not putting McCourtey down because we haven't seen him yet,Seriously some homer radicals here would find something positive if BB drafted Zoltan Mesko at #1

And thats the truth

Amen to that. If Bill took my grandma, some around here would say, well she's experienced and she'll play with a sense of urgency, in Bill we trust. Seriously fellas. When we win the Super Bowl again, then you can start telling everyone who doesn't like the pick to grow up and to shut up. Right now we are an aging team with no young playmakers and sliding backwards,

This was to be the most imp pick in the Belichick era, and its not the best choice... terrible pick, not the player, but where they picked him... Im stunned right now..

Ben Watson says Hi

Where would you have picked him? Honestly. He is a first round talent and two more corners went behind him in round 1 including Wilson who many had rated ahead of McCourty.

Still need to draft on the D-Line and OLB but I had CB as a pretty big need for three reasons.

1) Fins and Jets improved their respective passing games
2) Whilhite and Wheatley are at best marginal CBs
3) Good cover guys help the pass rush

We have a BINGO!

We have to play Miami twice, the Jets twice, Colts, Packers, Vikings, and San Diego. Call me crazy, but having more CB's isn't a bad thing...the days of Earthwind Moreland and Troy Brown handling DB duties are long over. Plus, there are a TON of DE's and OLB's left.

Step off the ledge, people.

Mr. Magoo. and AJ Soprano..........that's right we just drafted a guy from Mr. magoo's alama mata
I always liked Mr. Magoo, no HBO for Sopranos...I prefer mine shaped like an hour glass and breaking wine glasses with sonics anyway. :p

Absolutely delighted with the McCourty pick.

Nickel CB at least, potential starter. We spend a huge amount of snaps in the nickel defense, and with Marshall and Holmes arriving in the division, we needed to add another quality corner.

Unless you guys were happy with Johnny Wilhite there.....

Superb day for us - I'd have been happy with McCourty at #22, let alone 27 - and we bagged a third and fourth rounder.

Could McCourty cover for 5 or 6 seconds on almost every pass play?

Um, its better at corner, and that corner will also help on special teams.

Right now I am thinking the Pats move into the lower 30s and give up a 4th or 5th for that move and grab Golden Tate or Benn....That would make it better

I don't think they sit at 44

No question BB moves all over the place tomorrow.

Tate will be wearing the Flying Elvis soon enough.

And yet there are six more rounds to go. Let the whole thing play out before we jump off of bridges.

This is what gives me hope. As I said, the Patriots rarely go with the guy that I want, but they usually make up for it with a solid draft the rest of the way. Hopefully we can fill the other positions tomorrow and afterward. CB still wasn't the way to go in round one, but it happened and at least it sounds like we got a solid one.

Kudos. This might be the dumbest post of the entire thread.

The first draft is over. We ended up with McCurty and a 3rd in next day's draft.

Tomorrow is a new draft. There are 9 passrushers available. 2 quarterbackers figure to be near the top. We have picks 12, 15 and 21 in the 2nd, and the 26th pick in the 3rd.

We have to play Miami twice, the Jets twice, Colts, Packers, Vikings, and San Diego. Call me crazy, but having more CB's isn't a bad thing...the days of Earthwind Moreland and Troy Brown handling DB duties are long over. Plus, there are a TON of DE's and OLB's left.

Step off the ledge, people.

You dont draft certain players because of what other teams do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes