PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Drew Bledsoe Was A Dope Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even Parcells seems to forget this... of course I think he was on the phone with the Jets at the time it happened so its understandable in his case.

Put Troy Brown in that game and a coach who is more focused on the game than his next contract and Bledsoe has this team's first Super Bowl Ring.

These same people who are ripping him apart would be putting him on a pedestal even with the same "average" statistics had that happened.

i agree with you; well said

I think Bledsoe had a lot of QB skills but some critical deficiencies.
I think we were better off having him, but would have never seen success (beyond a playoff game here or there) if he had stayed. (This must assume no BB because injury or not, his days were numbered)
If I wanted a QB to make my team cometitive, he would be fine. If I wanted a QB to compete for Championships with, Drew wouldn't be on the list.

I think he goes down in history as a guy who compiled stats but didn't make plays like a winner. Time and again, his worst plays came when he was needed most.

I do find the comments that "Drew saved the franchise" idiotic. Parcells wasn't going to come here and go 4-12 for 4 straight years. Bledsoe was the means Parcells used to improve the team, but would have improved it another way if he didn't draft Bledsoe.
I also think that judging Bledsoe by th equality of QBs in between Grogan and him is silly.

I do find the comments that "Drew saved the franchise" idiotic. Parcells wasn't going to come here and go 4-12 for 4 straight years. Bledsoe was the means Parcells used to improve the team, but would have improved it another way if he didn't draft Bledsoe.
I also think that judging Bledsoe by th equality of QBs in between Grogan and him is silly.
I agree, so why even bother ripping the guy at this time? Is it a Michael Ventre reader (re: the "patriots are boring" thread) who is bored and has nothing better to do than figure out who to rip for no obvious reason? I'm not even sure what brought this on, since I've not seen Bledsoe in the news recently, not to mention that this topic has appeared on this forum ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Drew's "pocket ineptness" as well as his "lack of decision making abilities - especially during crunch time" lead to his downfall.

I agree with the ineptness in the pocket, and I think he could have worked on that and been much better.

He won, as well as lost, games in crunch time. The difference was in the protection and the receivers being open or not (my guess.)

drew would make a great qb coach. every backup he has had ended up a decent qb by the end of the year. brady said himself that he learned a ****load from him.

Bledsoe was a good QB who, prior to Brady, was the only one we had who had ever been worth a damn. Unfortunately for him, his game was not suited to the modern NFL, which required faster decisionmaking and increased mobility given faster, larger defenders and more complex schemes. He got left behind as a result, which in no way should diminish his accomplishments at the time. That cover it?

Grogs was a pretty good Patriot QB...fwiw

Oh, c'mon. Bledsoe would have had a hall of fame career had he continued with the pace he started.

He was never an average quarterback, he was one of the top qbs of the nineties and his play dropped off late in his career.

Saying he was "average" makes me wonder if you actually followed his career.

1993 - 5 -11 ... Bledsoe 65.0 rating ranked 37th

1994 - 10-6...Lost in Wild Card Playoffs ... Bledsoe 73.6 rating...26th

1995 - 6-10...Bledsoe 63.7 rating...33rd

1996 - 11-5...Lost in Superbowl ... Bledsoe 83.7 rating ... 12th

1997 - 10-6...Lost in Divisional Playoffs ... Bledsoe 87.7 rating ... 8th

1998 - 9-7...Lost in Wild Card Playoffs ... Bledsoe 80.9 rating ... 21st

1999 - 8-8 ... Bledsoe 75.6 rating ... 28th

2000 - 5-11 ... Bledsoe 77.3 rating ... 22nd

2001 - 11-5 ... Won Super Bowl ... Bledsoe 75.3 rating / Brady 86.5 rating

So Bledsoe averages 23rd best QB rating to receive all the praise he gets in this thread ... :rofl:

Let's try this ... The Patriots had a great few years when Parcells was here because we had a HOF RB in Curtis Martin and 2 HOF coaches coaching the team ... the DC coach quite likely the best coach of all time.

Some people prove they only repeat what they hear and rate players with their emotions ... Bledsoe was average to slightly above average at best ... the numbers prove it. Of course he could have been better if he had Brady's work ethic.

Last edited:
He wasn't a great QB, but he was better than average. Look at the QB's around. I don't think he was a dope. He retired before he was 40 with millions of dollars. I wish I were that stupid -:)

1993 - 5 -11 ... Bledsoe 65.0 rating ranked 37th

1994 - 10-6...Lost in Wild Card Playoffs ... Bledsoe 73.6 rating...26th

1995 - 6-10...Bledsoe 63.7 rating...33rd

1996 - 11-5...Lost in Superbowl ... Bledsoe 83.7 rating ... 12th

1997 - 10-6...Lost in Divisional Playoffs ... Bledsoe 87.7 rating ... 8th

1998 - 9-7...Lost in Wild Card Playoffs ... Bledsoe 80.9 rating ... 21st

1999 - 8-8 ... Bledsoe 75.6 rating ... 28th

2000 - 5-11 ... Bledsoe 77.3 rating ... 22nd

2001 - 11-5 ... Won Super Bowl ... Bledsoe 75.3 rating / Brady 86.5 rating

So Bledsoe averages 23rd best QB rating to receive all the praise he gets in this thread ... :rofl:

Let's try this ... The Patriots had a great few years when Parcells was here because we had a HOF RB in Curtis Martin and 2 HOF coaches coaching the team ... the DC coach quite likely the best coach of all time.

Some people prove they only repeat what they hear and rate players with their emotions ... Bledsoe was average to slightly above average at best ... the numbers prove it. Of course he could have been better if he had Brady's work ethic.

And here I thought you couldn't get any more clueless. You actually allow a completely irrational hatred of a football player to make you take such leave of your senses?

Last edited:
And here I thought you couldn't get any more clueless.

Yeah ... about all that's left for you to say ... you have no numbers to disprove me so you resort to random :blahblah: . Average QB no more and no less. Let's not forget the thread title ... that he was to dumb to keep his career alive by throwing to T.O. ... he canned himself which was the reason for the thread.

Yeah ... about all that's left for you to say ... you have no numbers to disprove me so you resort to random :blahblah: . Average QB no more and no less. Let's not forget the thread title ... that he was to dumb to keep his career alive by throwing to T.O. ... he canned himself which was the reason for the thread.

There are plenty of numbers that disprove your argument. I'm just surprised you are so full of vitriol that you posted something so stupid and acted as if you thought you'd found the smoking gun. Let's put it this way:

Are you really so ridiculously biased that you think Bledsoe was only a top 23 quarterback over the course of his career? When you realize that there's no way that's true, you'll realize what I meant.

Bledsoe is #5 all-time in attempts and completions. He's 7th all-time in passing yards and 13th all-time in passing touchdowns. And that's despite his moving about at the end of his career. I'm sorry, but those are simply not "average" numbers, and you know it.

Last edited:
Bledsoe is #5 all-time in attempts and completions.
So he threw alot.
He's 7th all-time in passing yards
see above
13th all-time in passing touchdowns
same as above

And that's despite his moving about at the end of his career. I'm sorry, but those are simply not "average" numbers, and you know it.

If just slinging the ball made a QB great then we could inflate the list of great QB's. The argument of what makes a QB great is well documented. 2 QB's in my lifetime learned that lesson before they earned their rings. Bledsoe's rating was never great because he was not great. Just a bit over average ... something called interceptions I believe.

Manning and Elway earned their rings by being complete and smart QB's. Neither won a ring as a gunslinger, in fact who has???

Last edited:
If just slinging the ball made a QB great then we could inflate the list of great QB's. The argument of what makes a QB great is well documented. 2 QB's in my lifetime learned that lesson before they earned their rings. Bledsoe's rating was never great because he was not great. Just a bit over average ... something called interceptions I believe.

Manning and Elway earned their rings by being complete and smart QB's. Neither won a ring as a gunslinger, in fact who has???

Are you kidding? This is a joke, right? Ok, I'll bite. Some "gunslingers" who won rings:

Bradshaw
Favre
Mark Rypien
Jay Schroeder
Doug Williams
Jim Plunkett
Ken Stabler
Elway (and don't pretend he wasn't, because he was until he became a shell of himself at the end)

There are more that could be pointed to as "gunslingers" or at least having those tendencies, but the list above should be plenty to prove your point wrong. Also, had Parcells and the Patriots special teams done their respective jobs leading up to and during the 1996 Super Bowl, Bledsoe might have gotten himself a ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back