PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

***THE OFFICIAL 2015 NFL 1st Round draft thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, sure. QB is the difference between the Patriots and the rest of the AFCE. But, right now, he's really the only reason to put the Patriots above the Jets and Bills. Outside of Brady, there's no real personnel advantage.

That hasn't been the case for most of the BB/Brady era.

True, but we couldn't realistically expect the rest of the AFCE to suck this badly forever.

I wouldn't hold sports reporters' tweets to the level of the Evening News, where credibility is a lot more important. Rolling Stone is deservedly getting hammered, The Duke lacrosse fabrication, the Videotaping Rams walkthrough fabrication...when it's important, they are held responsible. For someone tweeting out something that they heard? Who cares? It's not like anyone could check with the source.

That wasn't media getting it wrong, that was a prosecutor gone rogue.

True, but we couldn't realistically expect the rest of the AFCE to suck this badly forever.

and he is also getting completely ahead of himself based on a few moves and may 1st 2015 depth charts. Their is a reason why the games are played.

Pats defense could come out and play similar to what they did last year with an improved front 7 and they don't have nearly as tough of a schedule as last year with the QBs and offense they play. Plus maybe Pats get a Game 1 starting Guard tonight and Fleming wins the other Guard job and the Pats improve from last year on the OL. Not to mention they now have a legit #2 TE which will improve the offense. What if Dobson who should be healthy and have a full pre-season and makes strides in the offense and Brandon Gibson sticks? More improvement on an offense that was very good last year.

But again those are what ifs so we can't talk about them we must go off of what the depth charts look like on May 1st

Last edited:
Agree but some of them tweets are very harsh. and then the person tweets this

Let's be clear: many people who put that much energy into caring about sports are sad, terrible people.

Sure. I'm just posting in the context of responding to Ross' post:

Ugh, it sickened me to think about it, but if you replaced Geno Smith with Tom Brady, that would be a good f***ing team.

Lets grab MALCOLM Brown from Texas as well later in the draft just to make things more difficult for people
THEY would complain o the league and the comp committee would pass a rule against such shenanigans.

Brady has been Belichick's biggest personnel advantage over the league since about 2004-2005, IMO. He allows BB to alter his approach to all 3 personnel avenues (FA signings, player retention, drafting).

Agreed. The Patriots level of consistent, sustained excellence over the last 14 years is unequalled and virtually impossible in the modern salary cap era when the playing field is so heavily tilted against the best teams (who end up with the worst draft picks at the end of each round). All other teams during this run have had "down periods" where they get high draft picks in each round for a number of years to stock up on talent. Not so the Patriots.

Without Brady, in my opinion this run of excellence would be impossible. The advantage that Brady gives to BB makes it merely remarkable instead of impossible.

Coming on the heels of the Aaron Dobson piece ... she's slipped a bit.

Except she didn't slip at all yesterday. She wrote that according to a league source the Patriots are trading out of the first round. What most probably happened is that part of the paperwork for the trade was most probably already filed with the league. Guess what happens in 99% of the cases where someone informs the league about a trade.. it goes through..

Yesterday, the Indianapolis coke brothers made such a head scratching left turn that we were able to witness the one instance were a trade was killed close to last second.

I said it once and I'll say it again: The days of the AFC East being inept are over. Every team looks really good. Gonna be very interesting this year. I think 10-11 games wins it.

Granted, the AFCE teams had some real good offseasons. But the AFCE has also been home to some of the better pass defenses in the league for some time, with some of the best corners and DLines. Until these guys have QBs that can play, I feel just fine.

It would be absolutely ridiculous to say our AFCE rivals aren't improving, because they are. You look at sections of all teams and think 'wow'.

I think it is wide of the mark however, to ignore the fact we have a very strong team outside Brady. This isn't Brady promoting a load of Jags. We have quality all over. Or, should I say, a sustainable level of quality that doesn't leave you in cap hell. And Bill always manages to move the squad on without us fallking off a cliff.

Also, it is impossible to judge a squad before the end of training camp. Who knows how we will draft? Who knows how they will do in TC? Who knows what UDFA's will come in and add value we never knew would happen?

We have a challenge in the AFCE, but I am not sat defecating in my pants.

On a side note: With the draft held in Chicago, it was great to not hear boos when the Pats pick was announced (and not have the place go nuts when the Jets pick came up)!

Granted the boo's weren't as loud as in New york, it also looked like the auditorium wasn't full, but they did boo the patriots when they announced they were on the clock and when the pick was being announced. I believe the boo's were louder than when the Packers pick was in.

Granted the boo's weren't as loud as in New york, it also looked like the auditorium wasn't full, but they did boo the patriots when they announced they were on the clock and when the pick was being announced. I believe the boo's were louder than when the Packers pick was in.

They were booing Goodell, the boos noticeably subsided when the pick was being announced.

They were booing Goodell, the boos noticeably subsided when the pick was being announced.

Why on earth would they be booing Roger Goodell? Look at all he has done for the league.

What is with the horrible and inaccurate reporting these days? It seems like media members are just so desperate to be the first ones to break a story that they don't even check the validity of their sources and facts before announcing something.

*Deflate gate* *cough cough*

The media has been rushing to be first for a few years now, in and out of sports. Knowing that, it must be fun to be in a position to play the media.

Well, sure. QB is the difference between the Patriots and the rest of the AFCE. But, right now, he's really the only reason to put the Patriots above the Jets and Bills. Outside of Brady, there's no real personnel advantage.

That hasn't been the case for most of the BB/Brady era.

We have Gronk and a few others who are better than their counterparts in the AFCE.

We have Gronk and a few others who are better than their counterparts in the AFCE.

I didn't give either the Bills or Jets the edge at TE.
I didn't give either the Bills or Jets the edge at LB.

Those are areas where the Patriots are stronger than either of those teams. That would seem to be self-explanatory, yet my post still included

Patriots are better than both at TE and LB, and both the Bills and Pats have real questions about the OLs and DBs.

The Jets have been able to play the Patriots tough with the likes of Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez at QB, and they've limited Brady significantly in numerous games. So, we look at that and say "Yeah, but that was with Rex there, and Bowles may not be able to do that". That's when we look down the AFCE list and see the Buffalo Bills...

Is that some sort of a dream or are you hearing voices?

I don't know why you're shaking in your boots over the thought of facing a Rex Ryan team.

Is that some sort of a dream or are you hearing voices?

I don't know why you're shaking in your boots over the thought of facing a Rex Ryan team.

Seriously, either read the thread before posting, or don't post on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back