Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
post-31100-GET-IN-gif-Johnny-Depp-Fear-an-ZCte.gif

Figured I'd create this thread and get it up and running. Post all thoughts related to the draft, nuggets, and rumors that you can find pre-draft and use this thread during the draft if you plan to be watching it. I have a date I have to go to so I'll be following it more on my phone anyway. Here is the Washington Posts final mock draft that has us taking Byron Jones with the 32nd pick (I'm sure Manx will be happy about that one).

My final Pats Round 1 Big Board:

Trade up to 13 ( 1st and 2016 1st required)

None

Trade up to 20 (1st & 2nd required)

None

Trade up to 25 (1st and 3rd required)

1. Byron Jones CB UCONN
2. Marcus Peters CB Washington

Stay at 32

3. Cameron Erving G Florida State
4. Dorial Green-Beckham WR Missouri

5. Trade Down

None

None

1. Byron Jones CB UCONN

Stay at 32

5. Trade Down

Peters over Jones and I see nothing wrong there. But I wouldn't be disappointed with Jones either. DGB would be fascinating in this offense.

None

None

1. Byron Jones CB UCONN

Stay at 32

5. Trade Down
I would be overjoyed if the team actually got their hands on Jones or Peters, and DGB would be extremely interesting. Erving would be solid. I'm hoping for a trade down personally into the early second to pick up a 4th rounder and grab Eric Rowe, then trade the 4th for a player OR trade the 4th and our 2nd to move up into the mid-2nd for a Guard or RB.

I would be overjoyed if the team actually got their hands on Jones or Peters, and DGB would be extremely interesting. Erving would be solid. I'm hoping for a trade down personally into the early second to pick up a 4th rounder and grab Eric Rowe, then trade the 4th for a player OR trade the 4th and our 2nd to move up into the mid-2nd for a Guard or RB.

You like Rowe over Shaw?

You like Rowe over Shaw?
I would like Shaw too, just like Rowe better. If they missed out on Rowe, Shaw wouldn't be a bad consolation later if possible.

@RapSheet: Saw @BobMcGinn mention the #Saints high praise of Bryce Petty. From what I understand, real chance he’s goes in round 1. Flying up boards

@RapSheet: Saw @BobMcGinn mention the #Saints high praise of Bryce Petty. From what I understand, real chance he’s goes in round 1. Flying up boards

I'm surprised he's never been looked at as a first rounder yet. He has all of the characteristics of a first round QB and the Saints at least appear to be preparing for life after Brees.

I'm surprised he's never been looked at as a first rounder yet. He has all of the characteristics of a first round QB and the Saints at least appear to be preparing for life after Brees.
People forget,including myself, Brees's age n the $$$ associated with his contract. I just don't see Petty being 1st round talent

@RapSheet: Pats, Packers want to trade back RT @AroundTheNFL: Jacksonville Jaguars could trade up into late stages of 1st round
http://t.co/RPIns6mntd

Jaguars have pick 36.

@WEEI: Adam Schefter on MFB: ‘I would be surprised if the Patriots didn’t trade out of [No.] 32′ http://t.co/QBUOqeivz9

Last edited:
DGB would be fascinating in this offense.

I watched a lot of Mizzou with DGB (I'm actually a big fan of Bud Sasser in the 7th or as a UDFA) and think he's an incredible talent, but I sincerely doubt due to the nature of his "red flag" that he's on the Patriots board. I don't disagree with that decision, either.

I think the Patriots will look to trade out of the 2nd and put themselves in position for a OL (Cann, Tomlinson), CB (I expect Jones to be available in the 2nd), or Stephone Anthony.

Also really convinced, unlike the national media guys, that defensive tackle is a luxury and not a need (unlike offensive line and defensive back). Nose tackle definitely is not a need. Siliga played really well when he came back from injury, Branch is a good spot starter. At the other tackle you have to bet on Easley making an impact. Chris Jones is a fine rotational player. It's a position I'm interested in drafting in the later rounds (a guy like Nunez-Roches, for instance) rather than in the 1st, but if Armstead or Malcom Brown were there, I wouldn't argue with the pick.

Highly rated guys I like:
TJ Clemmings
La'el Collins (though cold feet re: Hernandez may take him off the board)
Arik Armstead
Marcus Peters
Malcom Brown
Cameron Erving

Some players that I like but might be available with a trade back (wouldn't be disappointed at #32 though):
Laken Tomlinson
Stephone Anthony
Byron Jones
Phillip Dorsett
Shaq Thompson

Player that I like that is almost certainly not on the Patriots' board:
Dorial Green-Beckham

Players I don't like that have been mocked to the Patriots:
Eric Rowe
Eddie Goldman
Jaelen Strong
Kevin Johnson
Landon Collins
Jordan Phillips
Jalen Collins

Last edited:

Petty sucks but this happens every year, some QB flies up boards and goes at the end of the round. It never works out, either.

People forget,including myself, Brees's age n the $$$ associated with his contract. I just don't see Petty being 1st round talent

In this year's class, he probably will be. Whether or not he pans out is up for debate. I've made my feelings well known on this QB class in the draft forum and Petty is a part of that assessment.

@RapSheet: Pats, Packers want to trade back RT @AroundTheNFL: Jacksonville Jaguars could trade up into late stages of 1st round
http://t.co/RPIns6mntd

Jaguars have pick 36.

@WEEI: Adam Schefter on MFB: ‘I would be surprised if the Patriots didn’t trade out of [No.] 32′ http://t.co/QBUOqeivz9

I expect the Patriots to use their 1st round pick unless the offer is too good to refuse like in 2013. The 5th year option is a valuable resource management wise, see McCourthy, Solder, Hightower, possibly Chandler Jones, Easley...

I really wanted Lael Collins to fall to the Patriots but saw little to no chance of it happening, now it's most likely going to happen and they can't touch him. I think the only way out of this situation for Collins is to withdraw from this draft and try to get his name cleared before the supplemental draft, where he would be taken immediately if his name was cleared. I don't see how any team can take him with a murder investigation hanging over his head and no chance of clearing his name today.

Petty going before 32 would be great for the Patriots.

I expect the Patriots to use their 1st round pick unless the offer is too good to refuse like in 2013. The 5th year option is a valuable resource management wise, see McCourthy, Solder, Hightower, possibly Chandler Jones, Easley...

Interesting point, I hadn't thought of the option and the actual importance of it. It makes the pick more valuable and keeping it more meaningful.

As I said in another thread, I highly doubt the Pats are going into this draft looking to trade out of the first round. They'd be dumb to do so. They'll let the board fall how it falls and, if they don't like what they're looking at or think they can get their guy in the 2nd, they'll trade back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back