PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

***THE OFFICIAL 2014 New England Patriots training camp thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ian_M_Steele: Garappolo to Tyms for a TD in 11-11 hurry up drill. This time on a 3 yard slant.

@DougKyedNESN: Amendola had a really nice practice for the Patriots. I counted eight receptions in team drills.

@DougKyedNESN: Brady was 13-19 on 11v11s, 4-7 on 7v7s. Garoppolo was 10-19 with 2 INTs in 11v11s and 4-5 in 7v7s.

@Ian_M_Steele: Brady to Thompkins has been money all afternoon. Malcolm Butler primarily in coverage.

@Ian_M_Steele: 2nd team O vs. 1st team D. Garappolo threw a pick deep over the middle to McCourty. Ball was hanging up there.

Testing Jimmy G

@Ian_M_Steele: 2nd team O vs. 1st team D. Garappolo threw a pick deep over the middle to McCourty. Ball was hanging up there.

Testing Jimmy G

Love them putting him in against one of the best secondaries in the league, what a way for him to learn more about ball placement etc.

Browner not involved in many full team reps. Butler took a lot of those. Not sure if he's nursing an injury #patriotscamp per Paul P

It Is What It Is >> Sunday afternoon practice notes: With no Ryan Mallett, Jimmy Garoppolo gets more reps

– With no Mallett on the field, Garoppolo got more reps. He made a couple of impressive connections in a passing drill early on, hooking up with Kenbrell Thompkins on a short route over the middle (a play where he beat Brandon Browner), and then on a deep ball for Brandon LaFell. Later in 11-on-11s, he made a really nice connection downfield with his BFF Brian Tyms against Logan Ryan. The low point? He had a ball picked off by defensive lineman L.T. Tuipulotu.

Also from Price's column:

-- Brandon Bolden and Jemea Thomas returned to action

-- Gronk was also on the field, but did not participate in 11-on-11's; he did again take part in drills with Brady and Revis

-- Mallett, Tyler Gaffney, D.J. Williams, Cameron Gordon, Hoomanawanui, James Anderson, Chris Martin, Chris Jones and Sealver Siliga were not on the field

-- Tavon Wilson, Kanorris Davis, Ja'Gared Davis and Bryan Stork were in jerseys but no pads

-- Dobson, Easley and Jeremy Gallon were in shorts and sweats

-- Edelman, Thompkins and Amendola all looking good with receptions

-- Finch, Vereen, Slater, James White and Josh Boyce all getting time as kick returners

-- Edelman, Amendola and Finch had reps as punt returners

-- Taylor McCuller getting reps as a fullback

Uniform numbers for the new guys:

Ben Hartsock gets #88
That was most recently worn by Justin Jones, and prior to that by Matthew Mulligan, Sam Aiken, Kyle Brady, Christian Fauria and Terry Glenn.

Steve Maneri gets #86
That was most recently worn by Asa Watson, and prior to that by Chris Baker, David Thomas, Tim Dwight, David Patten and Eric Bjornson during the Belichick era. Maneri wore #65 when he was with the Patriots three years ago.

Terrence Williams gets #44
Tyler Beck had that number this spring, and Zach Sudfeld had it last year. Before that it belonged to Jarrad Page, Heath Evans, Fred McCrary, Marc Edwards and Harold Shaw.

I wish Dobson's foot looked good, who cares if he's jacked if he can't run.
It is a positive. It shows that despite the foot injury he is working hard where he can. We have not had a 6'3" 220-225lb WR in a long time.

Although I said that this is the day many PUPed players come off PUP (the first practice after the first preseason game), I am wondering if the Eagles scrimmage week is going to push back the return of Dobson and Easley another week. You you really don't want your players coming off PUP having their first week of practice as an intersquad scrimmage especially with Dobson's and Carey Williams' history.
I think they'll both be back by tomorrow.

I would have thought they both would be back today if they were coming back this week.
I think the wanted to give them a little more rehab work. I'm really not concerned with either of them they could both miss the entire preseason and I still think they will be major factors by mid season. They are talents, they have abilities that cannot be taught. A player like Stork is more concerning for me.

Eagles coming in for week of joint practices starting Tuesday. Will be there...The burden of Retirement

New England Patriots training camp observations: Ryan Mallett, James Anderson not spotted, Jemea Thomas returns | masslive.com

The 1-on-1 battles gave way to 7-on-7s, in which Brady went 4-of-7 passing and had two of his throws dropped by targets Brandon LaFell and Maneri. Second-round quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo seemed to pick up were his debut left off as well, going 4-of-5 passing in 7-on-7s, including a crisp end-zone fade to special-teamer Matthew Slater versus corner Justin Green. A drop by second-year receiver Kenbrell Thompkins was Garoppolo's one misconnection, while a touchdown throw to receiver Brian Tyms was preceded by a long wait in the pocket.

The team transitioned to 11-on-11 drills shortly thereafter. And without a third quarterback taking snaps, Brady and Garoppolo shared time under center for the rest of the practice.

In 11-on-11s, Brady finished 13-of-18 passing with one drop by LaFell and one coverage sack. He found Thompkins on a diving catch down the sideline and once more over two defenders. Garoppolo, on the other hand, finished 10-of-19 passing with drops by Tyms and fellow wideout Josh Boyce. The 22-year-old quarterback looked strong through the first few series, but he tapered off as one batted pass got intercepted by defensive tackle L.T. Tulipulotu. Another one of Garoppolo's passes was picked off by safety Devin McCourty.

Jimmy G went 14/24 vs. the 1st team with a few drops. Looks like he had his first good practice since the opening one July 24th. Great to hear following the preseason game.

It is a positive. It shows that despite the foot injury he is working hard where he can. We have not had a 6'3" 220-225lb WR in a long time.

Where do you get 220-225? Thinking of LaFell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back