PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "new" allegations: Stealing playcall sheets and screwing with communications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ironic thing is that if this ever starts to go anywhere real, Goodell is going to be on the Pats' side in denying everything because this makes him look at least as bad as it tries to make NE look.

I don't buy for a minute that Goodell was ever on the Patriots side or acted to protect them in any way. He could have closed down the story in 2 seconds after it broke in 2007 if that were the case.

The reporter is internationally renowned and has won two Pullitzer prizes. It be foolish to just dismiss him.

jerry springer + donald trump are internationally renowned

I'll stick to dismissing him

The reporter is internationally renowned and has won two Pullitzer prizes. It be foolish to just dismiss him.

If he substantiated his claims, I might be willing to take them seriously. As such, it demonstrates prevailing thought more than it does actual occurrence.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1

I believe that some people said the stuff that's being attributed to "anonymous sources". I'd also bet that the stuff being attributed to anonymous source came from people who weren't willing to attach their name to anything because a) they're nobodies and/or b) what they're saying isn't true.

If you talk to a former Patriots coach and he says Ernie Adams was an idiot, then you later talk to an unnamed former player who says he's sure the Pats bugged their locker room because how else could they know what plays were coming, it's pretty easy to write a story where you have a bunch of anonymous sources--which include former Pats coaches--who have accused the Pats of bugging opposing locker rooms.

However renowned the reporter is, today's OTL piece read like something that belongs in the Rolling Stone. And that is not a compliment. Just look at how the Marshall-Faulk-as-KR thing was framed up. Because the Patriots kicked the ball near the sideline and "forced" Faulk out of bounds on his kickoff return, this demonstrates that they must have cheated to develop this bold, incredible strategy for neutralizing him as a returner. Let's look at all the ways this is wrong:
  1. It assumes that the Pats must have known in advance that Faulk would line up as KR.
  2. It assumes that the strategy in place was specifically planned for Faulk. There's no reason to believe that.
  3. It assumes that Belichick couldn't have a general strategy for "how to handle unexpected substitutions at KR". Knowing Belichick as well as we do, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has a few wrinkles that he likes to throw out at any player who's being lined up at KR without being accustomed to that role. Kicking the ball near the sidelines and seeing if he runs out of bounds rather than taking the free 40 yards seems like a good one. No KR who knows what he's doing would field that ball, but a RB who has no idea what he's doing might.
  4. It assumes that they somehow forced Faulk to run out of bounds. Sounds like Faulk just sucked at being a KR, because if it's so close he could easily just let the ball roll out of bounds and get the ball at the 40. It's impossible to "pin" a KR with an OOB kick.

If anything, this sequence of events is a great example of the Rams ****ing up a very simple thing and failing to capitalize on an opportunity. Instead, it's written in this article as evidence that the Pats must be cheaters because they actually plan ahead.

In any case, I'm officially at the point that, if suspicion or innuendo is sourced to an unnamed person, I refuse to assume there's any truth to it. It's as likely as not that either the source is made up or the source is making stuff up. Real journalists sometimes get this. Sports journalists almost never do.

Last edited:
Everyone knew the Patriots would send someone into the locker room before the game to steal playbooks. So, they would either make fake plays or just let them steal it, instead of either not leaving it there or having someone stay in the locker room.

one coach actually hid a camera and got some shots of this pats employee in the act

DeflateGate-Update-Jim-McNally-photo.jpg

5914491-large.jpg

obviously not wearing the bulky jacket for stealth purposes

As Wetzel said... if you had this suspicion then why wasn't there a camera in the locker room to catch someone doing it? I would hope the Pats would take that precaution if they were the target.

One problem we'll have is the overly sensitive, politically correct, everyone deserves a trophy (or runner up banner), present day standards will be willfully applied to the circumstances of 2000-2006. Granted it was a decade+ ago, but it's gone far downhill (my opinion) in that time.

And if this was really reporting they would try to balance it and see what other teams were doing at the same time. It's a hit piece paid for by the NFL*'s propaganda machine BSPN.

think about this logically...

If an NFL team knows that another NFL team has broken into their hotel room, locker room, or wherever and STOLEN things to use for an competitive advantage, would they not do something about it to catch the person or persons red-handed?

That would instantly get the NFL's attention, wouldn't you think?

The NFL wants to destroy a person for (in their opinion) being generally aware that footballs might have 0.2 psi less air in them than normal. What would they do to a team that had stolen play sheets?

Dolphins steal our line calls and brag about it = Savvy play
Patriots rumored to have stolen playsheets = Obviously guilty, BB and Brady sentenced to be raped for eternity by giant cat ****s

As Wetzel said... if you had this suspicion then why wasn't there a camera in the locker room to catch someone doing it? I would hope the Pats would take that precaution if they were the target.

Or just have one of the ball boys sit in the damn locker room! This isn't covert espionage here.

They're scraping the bottom of the barrel for aligations when they say that 'low level patriot staffers stole game plans. First off who would leave the play sheet laying around on a table, especially if they thought the pats were doing this. Its just to absurd to believe. Second, the whole idea of a stranger walking around in the opposing teams locker room or meeting room is ridiculous, they'd be seen right away. Third if teams thought this was happening why not feed the pats false information? and on and on and on.

The ironic thing is that if this ever starts to go anywhere real, Goodell is going to be on the Pats' side in denying everything because this makes him look at least as bad as it tries to make NE look.
I was thinking the same. and just to further your point, I was over at the Jets board to see what they are saying about this and the most common opinion there is nothing new was reported in terms of cheating allegations but the extent of the coverup by the league was indeed news. So while many off us here read the piece and say it's yet another ESPN reporter coming after us, the national perspective may turn out to be more focused on the incompetence of the league office.

You don't want to know how bad this has gotten. i just saw a headline that said that the patriots 'stole playbooks' from other teams and goodell helped cover it up. i won't defile this site by posting the link. BTW its international.

Bob%20Barker%20GTFO.jpg
Without proof or actual names of the coaches I respectfully offer this to the esteemed reporter and his sources.

I was thinking the same. and just to further your point, I was over at the Jets board to see what they are saying about this and the most common opinion there is nothing new was reported in terms of cheating allegations but the extent of the coverup by the league was indeed news. So while many off us here read the piece and say it's yet another ESPN reporter coming after us, the national perspective may turn out to be more focused on the incompetence of the league office.

No disrespect meant here, but I think you're completely nuts in this fantastical hope.

We've already seen many examples where national outlets have ran with this story. It's much more likely that you happened to visit the NYJ message board on an "off" day where common sense and logic prevailed.

Unfortunately, I don't have much hope that the average fan or reader sees it the same way.

I was listening to some local guys (I'm not in the NE area...hence the name) and they were going off on the commissioner and calls the other stuff gamesmanship and not making a big deal of it. They were, previously, harping on the Patriots for defamegate so they aren't pro_Patriots.

Regarding the pushing the rules. they said BB is the best and he studies harder than others and seems to know more. Basically saying any industry you work in there are going to be people/organizations like that and you'll know who they are and you'll just have to deal with it. Perhaps these articles will have a short shelf life and the new season can't come fast enough.

I don't really care about warm Gatorade, bad headphones, filming signals or any of that crap, as long as the Patriots don't f.ck with the air pressure I'm good.

During the game, coaches hide what they are calling and saying behind their hands or some other object like a play sheet. They do this because they know teams in the past have employed lip readers to steal signals and may still be doing it, so they take precautions. Teams know that their signals are being taped. It's no secret. They have been roaming the sidelines for years. It's no secret that the Patriots did it. It was perfectly legal until Goodell became Commissioner. Coaches really, really have to be dumb not to disguise their signals. As long as I have played baseball and softball, coaches have always disguised the signals they were giving to hit away, to bunt, to steal. Heck it's so easy to understand even a kid can do it. When Kraft asked Belichick on a scale from 1 to 100, how much did it (taping) help and Belichick replied 1.

To Belichick that one percent was worth it. A one percent chance that something caught on tape during the game would be useful when they played them again. A one percent chance that someone would get careless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back