PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The most important player on D after Revis is.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabwong

Vice President of Boycott NFL Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Rob Ninkovich. Here's why.

1. Sealing the edge

Fewer players are better at sealing the edge than Ninkovich. He plays smart, which means he doesn't get sucked it and plays with great leverage. Almost every run was away from Ninkovich. He also had the discipline to cover the weak side and not over pursue.

2. Rushing the passer

His sack on Wilson came at the most important time and it gave the whole team a boost. He won't get 20 sacks but expect around 8, which is pretty good when considering his cap.

3. Smart

He studies his opponents and has been known to keep a folder for each of them. He can beat you multiple ways, bull rush, spin, scheme, timing etc. No physical ability, no problem. All brains.

4. Versatility

He can line up almost anywhere in the front 7. He can disguise his intent when lining up. Fake a rush to drop back. Fake rush outside and cut inside.

5. Motor

Plays every down. I've never seen rob give up on a play. Ever.

6. Discipline

Does his job. Sets team mates up for credit. Never asks for credit. No controversy. Good interviews.

Guys like Rob are the reason why I love this team. He overcame 99% of this fan base that made fun of him when he was first signed. And IMO he is still trying to silence his doubters. In terms of overall package, how many players are out there like him?

I think Hightower was a flat-out stud this year. Jamie Collins right there with him. 2a and 2b IMO. Chandler Jones and McCourty following them.

Jamie Collins.

Yes, he had a bad Super Bowl by his standards but right now he might be the most important player on the defense maybe even more than Revis.

This year it was
1) Revis
2) Hightower
3) Collins
4) Browner
5) McCourty
6) Jones
7) Wilfork
8) Ninkovich

You are right he does his job but he is on the field with 7 other players who do their job at a higher level.

7. Durability/Stamina

Ninkovich played the most snaps of any DL in the NFL, including Watt.

8. Value

He's playing on a 3 year 13.65 million dollar contract extension.

Ninkovich is my new Bruschi...still has some ways to go to be on the same pedestal I put Bru on...but he is the closest to Bru for me so far...if he helps us get 2 more? That would be great!

This year it was
1) Revis
2) Hightower
3) Collins
4) Browner
5) McCourty
6) Jones
7) Wilfork
8) Ninkovich

You are right he does his job but he is on the field with 7 other players who do their job at a higher level.

I agree that those 7 above rob are better playmakers. But rob is the guy you want on your team to set up the other guys to make those plays.

I love Ninko, his football IQ is through the roof which is why BB loves him. A defense is great because 11 guys are in sync, so ranking is hard, but i'll try

1) Collins - defenses in the new NFL are all about D-Line and the secondary, but he was all over the field. Didn't he play every snap in the playoffs?
2) Revis - worth every penny, allows us to play man on an island and move around guys like McCourty around and play much more aggressively than in the past.
3) McCourty
4) Browner
5) Hightower
6) Ninko
7) Wilfork
8) Jones

Deep safety play in the nfl is terrible today and I'd rather not lose one of the 2 guys who are difference makers at the position. Not a shot at Nink at all but McCourty is probably the 4th best player on this team behind Brady, Gronk and Revis.

The 3rd CB, whoever he may be in a given game, is pretty important.

I agree that those 7 above rob are better playmakers. But rob is the guy you want on your team to set up the other guys to make those plays.
I know you like him, but Ninkovich is not a guy who makes other players better.
He does his job adequately. Once in a while that results in a huge play. But the better players on the field are not making plays because ninkovich is carrying out his assignment.
Underrated? Sure. Catalyst? Naw.

Deep safety play in the nfl is terrible today and I'd rather not lose one of the 2 guys who are difference makers at the position. Not a shot at Nink at all but McCourty is probably the 4th best player on this team behind Brady, Gronk and Revis.

I would say Solder is 4, given the importance of the position.

he always seem to be around the ball. he's a throw back football player.

This year it was
1) Revis
2) Hightower
3) Collins
4) Browner
5) McCourty
6) Jones
7) Wilfork
8) Ninkovich

What amazes me is that this is a very reasonable list and Wilfork is #7. That's how good our D is.

As far as immediate impact (not taking future into account - Collins/Hightower would be the pick for me then), I don't think you're far off with Ninkovich though. The thing is, we have several top tier players that are asked to be as versatile as Ninkovich. Especially when we are playing a 4-2 nickel, a lot more of responsibility lies on the LBs and DEs/OLBs. I've heard many say that Collins is our best pass rusher.... He just has so many responsibilities.

I am also in the 'Ninko' isn't second after Revis. I would prob go Collins. As much as NE needs Hightower - I think, in a pinch, Mayo returns and plays the HT role. I am not sure anyone can do al the things Collins does.

BUT : to add to the Ninko love. Here is a guy who keeps playing every down, every year. The skill is solid, but the smarts are excellent. He doesn't blow you away - except by the high level of consistency. BB can tell Ninko to do "this" and it gets done. In the salary cap era : you NEED ninkos. You need them to live.

This year it was
1) Revis
2) Hightower
3) Collins
4) Browner
5) McCourty
6) Jones
7) Wilfork
8) Ninkovich

I'm not smart enough to be able to rank them as effectively as others, but the one thing I really like about this list is that...Mayo will be back on it next year! And, who knows how Butler might emerge after last Sunday?

What amazes me is that this is a very reasonable list and Wilfork is #7. That's how good our D is.

As far as immediate impact (not taking future into account - Collins/Hightower would be the pick for me then), I don't think you're far off with Ninkovich though. The thing is, we have several top tier players that are asked to be as versatile as Ninkovich. Especially when we are playing a 4-2 nickel, a lot more of responsibility lies on the LBs and DEs/OLBs. I've heard many say that Collins is our best pass rusher.... He just has so many responsibilities.

Eight stars listed, and neither Mayo or Easley are included. This squad, with experience playing together, could rival the '85 Bear's Defense

This year it was
1) Revis
2) Hightower
3) Collins
4) Browner
5) McCourty
6) Jones
7) Wilfork
8) Ninkovich

So, EIGHT defensive players had great years. THAT is impressive. I would add that Arrington and Chung had very good years. And their is little love for the guys who rotated next to Wilfork: Siliga and Branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST