PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

the matt light era is over.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The New England Patriots do need a long term prospect to replace Stephen Neal at right guard.

Wisniweski or Barnes could go there. Or they could look at Boling, Arkin or Jackson. Possibly even someone like Mike Person or Julian Vandevelde late in the draft.

not sold on solder.. but i think this pick means its over for matt light...

Relax.

Is Solder ready today or will he take a few years of "seasoning"? Do you think Matt Light will be Matt Light in 2013 when Solder is ready?

Bad news, time and tide wait for no man.

The meanest of Holst's Planets is Saturn: Bringer of Old Age.

Relax.

Is Solder ready today or will he take a few years of "seasoning"? Do you think Matt Light will be Matt Light in 2013 when Solder is ready?

Bad news, time and tide wait for no man.

The meanest of Holst's Planets is Saturn: Bringer of Old Age.

i dont think BB would use the 17th pick on a guy that will not play for 2 years its just my Opinion but when was the last time BB used a first round pick on a player that pretty much sit out for 2 years

The Patriots were going to have to look at tackle either this year or next. I'd expected it to be next year, but it's tough to complain about this pick since Pouncey was off the board. It's a developmental player rather than a plug-n-play guy, but this is the perfect O-line coach to develop him.

The key for this guy is going to be getting into the offseason program right away, so that he can work on his strength and so Dante can help him improve his technique. If the league wins the stay and shuts down again, this guy could end up with a lost season.

Right - slightly premature to put an untested rookie in at LT minutes after the draft.

LTs can quickly lose their skill sets as they age - but that doesn't mean they're useless, and BB wouldn't toss aside a helpful lineman - Matt Ligh tor anyone else

I went through most of this thread and didn't see the cynic's theory surface - Solder was picked - at least partly - because not only was Light getting older and wanting some serious $$ to re up, but also because Light is one of the union reps. First Vrabel, now Light...hmmm. Not saying this so, but one can wonder at the coincidence. A LT drafted first on a team desperate for 3rd down help?

And count me as one of those who the offense was as big a problem as the D in tight games the last few years - maybe Solder help us get those crucial 3 or 4 crunch time 1st downs that have eldued the Pats when the game was on the line. But we could have easily traded down from 17 a few spots in exchange for a 2nd rounder probably higher than the one from the Saints and then picked Jordan AND Ingram and then traded 33 away for 1st and second in the future. In terms of immediate impact those two guys would have instantly made us way better and we would have gained a 1st next year. Oh well...at least that pesky union boy was sold off.

Last edited:
This is crazy thread. In NFL if we extend the season you need 3 top tackles.

vollmer in his first season got off to a great start at LT. then when he came back from concussion he struggled. He has been moved to RT and is playing real good. I do not see the reason to keep moving him around.He does a good job there so put him there.

Sign light for 2-3 yr deal and incase you got outbid in FA you can than rotate and do some stuff. But in the mean time brady is going to get lit up a few times which i see a few are okay with as solder learns ....dumbest thing i ever read.

solder is insuranec for light and in 2-3 yrs will be a fulltime starter.
light out in 09 and when he came back vollmer went out.
10 we lost kazcur and both light and vollmer played.

you got to be crazy to think you do not need 3 tackles in NFL now.

Man, I had to dust off my account to see what was going on in here. Figured there'd be some whining.

I dig the pick. This guy is the LT of Brady's twilight and you could have worse back up tackles than Matt Light...

I'm super stoked on the trade, but I also couldn't see an RB in the first round. I like having another second rounder and we'll be stoked on having two 1's (so far, I bet we end up with three) next year.

I also think this would be a whole different draft if player trades were allowed right now.

Put me down as agreeing with those who think Light should be resigned, even at big bucks (i.e. current contract) for 3 years. The Patriots should do this if they absolutely feel Light can play guard. I know some in Patriot land doubted it, but he is built like a guard anyway.

Woody got a 5 year/$25.5 million deal and he saw 3 years of it before he was released this off-season. Do you know how much of that he saw?? His Salary was 850K in 2008 and 5.3 million in 2009 and 3.75 million in 2010. He had a 2.3 Mill roster bonus in 2008 and a 2.55 million signing bonus. My my count, that is $14.75 million. For 3 years. Or less than $5 mill a year.

So, no. I don't see Light getting Chad Clifton money unless it's from Dallas or Washington. And I'm not sure he'd get it even then..

Oh it doesn't matter how much of the money Woody saw, what matters is he GOT the contract and signed with another team. The other problem I see with resigning Light is the length of the contract. The Pats likely won't want to give him longer than 2 years considering they have a stud waiting in the wings and their frugal nature when handing out contracts.

There's going to be some team that will be willing to offer Light 3 years or longer. It won't just be about the money although I bet some team will overpay, it will be about the length of contract and job security as well. This is likely Light's LAST chance at a $$ contract. He's gotten his rings with us. I think as many other former Patriot players over the years, he will decide now is the best time to look out for his family and get as much $$ as possible in the limited window he has left.

Last edited:
While there's no doubt in my mind the Patriots could use Light, I don't see them giving him as much guaranteed and nearly-certain money as he could make on a team that has a bigger need at LT ...

... more's the pity.

While there's no doubt in my mind the Patriots could use Light, I don't see them giving him as much guaranteed and nearly-certain money as he could make on a team that has a bigger need at LT ...

... more's the pity.

I'm not sure how much it will take. First I don't see BB drafting Solder at 17 and sitting, even for a year. Don't forget Light started at LT HIS rookie year and how did that work out. In fact I thing Greg Robinson Randell was a rookie as well IIRC, maybe it was his 2nd year, but it was his first year starting.

So if Light is to stay I think it will be so he finishes as a starting G/OT depth and the Pats should pay him as such. Maybe he can get more as a former all pro 33 year old vet, but I wonder HOW MUCH more, and will that be enough to make him want to move. He's pretty well established in the community, both domestically and economically.

I can only hope

I don't think anyone gives him much. He's a lot older than woody was when he left...are we forgetting that? By probably 6 or 7 years!

He isn't that good either.

I see him signing a 9M/ 2 year deal and playing guard for the NE Patriots.

The Matt Light era isn't over yet. Solder seems to have excellent feet, but is a little raw and a little underpowered. If anything, they're going to give Light a small one to two year deal while (hopefully) trying to re-sign Mankins. Personally, I would have liked to see a RG drafted over a tackle, but I can't complain about this pick being that Solder was the second best OL in the draft behind Pouncey. And, for those of you complaining about the blue chipper OLB prospects, there are still quite a few of them left and guess what? We're selecting first in the second round. I'd like to see Brooks Reed or Justin Houston myself.

Sad but true. Belichick burned the 17th pick on a not ready for prime time OLman. UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Matt Light era may not be over but the Patriots being a force in the playoffs seems to be.
You simply can't keep passing on the opportunity to add quality athletic impact players on D and win championships.

This is what Sherlock Holmes said about McCourty last year,

You've got to be kidding me. Bill trades down twice, Odreck and Hughes were still on the board and Bill picks a special teams player.
Unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This team needs a GM.

It's all part of Bill's "master plan".
He figures he needs at least 6 CB's on the field at the same time since he wants to give the opposing QB's unlimited time to throw the ball.
Here's a question for BB - why bother upgrading the defensive backfield if they'll have ZERO shot at being successful without a quality NFL pass rush??
What a foolish pick.
We need a GM

It's real simple Ian. This 1st round pick does NOT address ANY of the Patriots glaring needs. NONE OF THEM. ZERO!! NADA!!! ZILCH!!!
Hell I'd have been happier if they had chosen Dez Bryant and I wanted the Pats to draft defense. At least Bryant would be an impact player.
This is a really bad pick for the 1st round when you look at the players they left on the board. A bad pick!

The Patriot secondary was burnt last year because they got ZERO help from the front with a pass rush. No defensive backfield is going to thrive when they need to hold coverage for 10 seconds on every play because there's simply no pressure on the QB. You say McCourty was a better option than Kyle Wilson. I say both Odrick and Hughes were better options than McCourty as was Dez Bryant. Both Odrick and Hughes were still on the board at 27 and there's a real chance McCourty would have been available in the 2nd round for the Patriots at 44.

J. Kraft is on WEEI right now, and he just stated that the Patriots hope Light will be back next year. Now, Kraft has been blowing a lot of smoke during his entire interview, and this could just be more of it, but he did say it.

Take it for what it's worth.

A top 20 pick sitting on the bench for 1-2 years while TB is getting older?

Brilliant, just brilliant.

The oline looks set to me; Solder, Mankins, Koppen, Connelly & Volmer
Maybe, but I dont think we go to camp needing a rookie to win the LT job.

I think it
LT Light
LG Mankins or Connolly (this is shaky because we could find out in August the lockout is over and Mankins is a UFA with no franchise tag available)
C Koppen
RG Solder
RT Vollmer

I know Solder is awful big for a G, but he would do wonders for the up the middle protection, then slide to T in a year or 2. At least its a possibility, but the lineup you have leaves us a rookie starting at LT and zero depth at all plus no LG if Mankins is set free.

Maybe, but I dont think we go to camp needing a rookie to win the LT job.

I think it
LT Light
LG Mankins or Connolly (this is shaky because we could find out in August the lockout is over and Mankins is a UFA with no franchise tag available)
C Koppen
RG Solder
RT Vollmer

I know Solder is awful big for a G, but he would do wonders for the up the middle protection, then slide to T in a year or 2. At least its a possibility, but the lineup you have leaves us a rookie starting at LT and zero depth at all plus no LG if Mankins is set free.

Anything is possible but I doubt it. BB went awfully high ( #17 ) for a OLT and has repeated numerous times already that Solder will stay at LT. Unlikely BB gets egg on his face and plays him at guard. Also can't see the #17 pick sitting on the bench all year. JMHO

That's a real shame because of his versatility. He could play Left Tackle or he could play Left Tackle or he could play Left Tackle, plus if you were unhappy with his play for his old salary, think of how much better you'd feel when he's making over $7M a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft