PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

the matt light era is over.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to trash Connolly here, because you are as wrong as the guy who said Light sucked.
We had the best offense in the NFL last year, and Brady, compared to all the other NFL QBs was protected extremely well. No one on the OL was bad.
There were bad moments, but they were fewer than just about every team.
The reason we need to shore up the OL is not because it was poor, but because Light is aging, Neal retired, and Mankins is hanging on by a thread.

The oline looks set to me; Solder, Mankins, Koppen, Connelly & Volmer

FWIW, BB just said in tonights press conference that Solder will play LT and not be moved to another position.

If thats the case then it would be interesting but as we all know by now,BB sometimes says one thing and means another unless you just became a fan of the NE Pats. :cool:

No need to trash Connolly here, because you are as wrong as the guy who said Light sucked.
We had the best offense in the NFL last year, and Brady, compared to all the other NFL QBs was protected extremely well. No one on the OL was bad.
There were bad moments, but they were fewer than just about every team.
The reason we need to shore up the OL is not because it was poor, but because Light is aging, Neal retired, and Mankins is hanging on by a thread.

I'm not "trashing" Connolly. I am telling you what happened. Connolly was the weak link in pass protection and was responsible for numerous sacks allowed that got credited to Light. I don't care if you accept it, but that is what happened.

Brady was sacked 25 times during the regular season and another 5 times against the Jets in the play-offs. Hardly what I call being protected "extremely well" in comparison to other QBs unless you just want to single out Jake Cutler.

I understand better than most why Solder was drafted, so you don't need to go spouting off to me about the reasons. Solder was someone I mentioned as a potential pick back before the Senior Bowl. And yes, I wavered on him after his mediocre showing in the Senior Bowl.

I see Kaczur and Connolly and a draft pick going at it for the starting RG position.

If that's the line, and it's not because other players got injured, Belichick will have failed miserably in the offseaon.

Last edited:
bluestar loves teldar paper...

Light will be signed for a moderate contract and moved to GUARD.

Patriots will draft the center from missouri and begin training him. Koppen is old, weak and tired. And broken.

on the contrary, i think it means the matt light era will continue for another year. solder is a guy with huge upside, but he's only played tackle for one year and having him start from day one would be a huge mistake. light will be back on a 2-3 year deal, the first as a starter with solder eased in by rotation, and then next 1-2 as veteran insurance

No he won't. Light will be overpaid in free agency to be the starting left tackle for some desperate NFL team. Did you even see the massive run on OL in the later part of the 1st round? Light's not returning unless he gets PAID. And the Pats picking Solder is pretty much an admission they weren't planning on paying Light big bucks.

No he won't. Light will be overpaid in free agency to be the starting left tackle for some desperate NFL team. Did you even see the massive run on OL in the later part of the 1st round? Light's not returning unless he gets PAID. And the Pats picking Solder is pretty much an admission they weren't planning on paying Light big bucks.

I don't believe that Light is going to get over-paid by anyone. Light turns 33 years old in June. He's had his share of injuries, though he's fairly durable. But, do you really believe someone is going to give Light a deal similar to the one Chad Clifton got last year (3yr/$20 million)? I don't. Especially if there is no increase in the sal cap number.

I see Kaczur and Connolly and a draft pick going at it for the starting RG position.

I think Kaczur still wants out of NE,Didn't he say he was done here earlier this year?

I think Kaczur still wants out of NE,Didn't he say he was done here earlier this year?

There was an unconfirmed news report that said that the Pats were going to part ways with Kaczur, but that was before Stephen Neal announced his retirement and before the lock-out.

Who knows what's going to happen.

I don't believe that Light is going to get over-paid by anyone. Light turns 33 years old in June. He's had his share of injuries, though he's fairly durable. But, do you really believe someone is going to give Light a deal similar to the one Chad Clifton got last year (3yr/$20 million)? I don't. Especially if there is no increase in the sal cap number.

Easily Chad Clifton $$ if not more. How many offensive linemen went in the 1st round this year? How many jobs are out there for offensive linemen? How much $$ did Damien Woody alone get in free agency? And keep in mind Woody does not play the premier LT position.

The fact is Light is coming off a Pro Bowl season and there's lots of teams with gaping holes in their OLs. The Pats strategically drafted Solder in case they would lose Light. Now they won't have to overpay for him if another team does. And it only takes 1 team to overpay.

Last edited:
There was an unconfirmed news report that said that the Pats were going to part ways with Kaczur, but that was before Stephen Neal announced his retirement and before the lock-out.

Who knows what's going to happen.

I think he was asked to take a pay cut and he refused,like you said that was before Neal retired.

I think the Pats may decide to pay Kaczur his just dues and keep him,even as a backup if he loses out to Connolly at OG,who I like.

Easily Chad Clifton $$ if not more. How many offensive linemen went in the 1st round this year? How many jobs are out there for offensive linemen? How much $$ did Damien Woody alone get in free agency? And keep in mind Woody does not play the premier LT position.

The fact is Light is coming off a Pro Bowl season and there's lots of teams with gaping holes in their OLs. The Pats strategically drafted Solder in case they would lose Light. Now they won't have to overpay for him if another team does. And it only takes 1 team to overpay.

Woody got a 5 year/$25.5 million deal and he saw 3 years of it before he was released this off-season. Do you know how much of that he saw?? His Salary was 850K in 2008 and 5.3 million in 2009 and 3.75 million in 2010. He had a 2.3 Mill roster bonus in 2008 and a 2.55 million signing bonus. My my count, that is $14.75 million. For 3 years. Or less than $5 mill a year.

So, no. I don't see Light getting Chad Clifton money unless it's from Dallas or Washington. And I'm not sure he'd get it even then..

I think he was asked to take a pay cut and he refused,like you said that was before Neal retired.

I think the Pats may decide to pay Kaczur his just dues and keep him,even as a backup if he loses out to Connolly at OG,who I like.
Connolly sucks and now with another second round draft pick, the New England Patriots can look to upgrade the offensive guard position, as well.

Connolly sucks and now with another second round draft pick, the New England Patriots can look to upgrade the offensive guard position, as well.

Connolly is above average in run blocking and below average in the pass blocking. IMHO. Can he be upgraded over? Yes. I believe Wisniewski would be an upgrade over Connolly. Whether the Pats think that is another story.

Connolly had played well in his role last season,its not like he played there for years,he was literally thrown in there with injury to others and looked to me as if he played as well as you can expect from a youngster.

Yes he did have some gruesome games, but no worse than any of the other players on the OL.

Connolly had played well in his role last season, its not like he played there for years, he was literally thrown in there with injury to others
Connolly was a product of the 2005 NFL Draft Class and was abused in the 2010 AFC Divisional Playoffs. Connolly is no spring chicken either.

and looked to me as if he played as well as you can expect from a youngster.
I would rather draft a youngster with upside.

Yes he did have some gruesome games, but no worse than any of the other players on the OL.
The San Diego Chargers game definitely comes to mind.

Last edited:
Connolly is above average in run blocking and below average in the pass blocking. IMHO. Can he be upgraded over? Yes. I believe Wisniewski would be an upgrade over Connolly. Whether the Pats think that is another story.
The New England Patriots now own three second round draft picks. Whether Wisniewski lasts towards the end of the second round is another story.

The New England Patriots now own three second round draft picks. Whether Wisniewski lasts towards the end of the second round is another story.

If the Pats trade down from 33 to say, 41, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take him there.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they waited and took Tim Barnes from Missouri in say the 5th round..

Last edited:
If the Pats trade down from 33 to say, 41, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take him there.
The New England Patriots do need a long term prospect to replace Stephen Neal at right guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back