PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

the matt light era is over.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
im ok with takeing a OT at #17 i just dont under stand why they would trade away #28 and now all of the top 3-4 DE's are off the bord but im not a GM what do i know i hope they at lest Draft one of the many pass rushers that are there with #33

Justin Houston,
Da'Quan Bowers,
Brooks Reed,
Jabaal Sheard,
Akeem Ayers,

Um Adrien Klemm didnt work out so well... But Solder is a solid pick. Schefter said a bunch of team had him as the #1 ot. Hes not as raw as
Vollmer was coming out and Vollmer was solid his rookie year.

Matt Light is still a better tackle than Vollmer at this point and if the Pats want to win NOW they should resign him. Solder is at least a year away from being NFL ready.

Light was one of the worst tackles in the league last year. He got away with it because of name and reputation. Vollmer at LT and Solder at RT is an instant upgrade, even if Solder is mediocre his rookie season.

Last edited:
Um Adrien Klemm didnt work out so well... But Solder is a solid pick. Schefter said a bunch of team had him as the #1 ot. Hes not as raw as
Vollmer was coming out and Vollmer was solid his rookie year.

BB just said at press conference that Solder will play LT and not be moved to another position.

This is what you said about McCourty last year. What a mistake McCourty was over Odrick and Hughes right? :rolleyes:

Was it a mistake to not add Cam Jordan and Mark Ingram to this roster with the 2 picks the Patriots had in the 1st round??
BTW the Saints were in a position to take Ingram with their own 1st round pick yet they chose pass rushing athletic DE Cam Jordan.
Then they traded with the Pats a few spots later, gave up a 2nd this year and a 1st next to get Ingram. That not only tells you how much a great organization like the Saints values a Mark Ingram but it also tells you how highly they think of Cam Jordan.
Try this on for size. Jordan and Ingram in the 1st round (was there to be had for the Patriots) and Bowers with the 33rd and then load up on OL and WR in the 2nd and 3rd. How much better would this team be given the VERY REAL scenario I just presented??
This isn't wild eyed dreaming on my part. THE PATRIOTS COULD HAVE HAD THESE PLAYERS.
But hey we got work in progress Nate....... :rolleyes:

Light was one of the worst tackles in the league last year. He got away with it because of name and reputation. Vollmer at LT and Solder at RT is an instant upgrade, even if Solder is mediocre his rookie season.

Agreed, Vollmer at LT and Solder at RT is an instant upgrade but Exactly how does name and reputation factor into blocking?

Solder spent 3 years at LT for Boulder after 2 years (freshman red-shirt) as a blocking TE for them.

And Solder was a consensus All-American pick in 2010. And he only allows 7 QB pressures his Junior and Senior Seasons.. Combined.

That said, he's got some technique issues, but ones that I believe Dante can get corrected quickly. We'll probably see him rotated in much the same way Vollmer was when Vollmer was a rookie.
Vollmer was supposed to be a project when we drafted him, who was a few years away, and he excelled at LT as a rookie.
Can we please stop trying to find negative items in a scouting report to pretend that Bill Belichick doesn't understand what to pick at #17 in the draft because he didn't pick the guy we read articles about written by people who are so good this stuff their job is to write articles instead making actual draft choices?

I would like to sign Light to at least 2 more years for added depth at OT. Move Kazcur to Guard and maybe even Light as well depending on how Solder does.

Sad but true. Belichick burned the 17th pick on a not ready for prime time OLman. UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Matt Light era may not be over but the Patriots being a force in the playoffs seems to be.
You simply can't keep passing on the opportunity to add quality athletic impact players on D and win championships.

The Patriots were going to have to look at tackle either this year or next. I'd expected it to be next year, but it's tough to complain about this pick since Pouncey was off the board. It's a developmental player rather than a plug-n-play guy, but this is the perfect O-line coach to develop him.

The key for this guy is going to be getting into the offseason program right away, so that he can work on his strength and so Dante can help him improve his technique. If the league wins the stay and shuts down again, this guy could end up with a lost season.

Solder makes it less likely that Light will be here long than would otherwise be the case.

Therefore, Solder makes it less likely that Light will willingly sign another contract with the Pats.

The Matt Light era is over. He will be missed.

The Nick Kaczur era will probably continue.

Along with Tyron Smith, Solder's best football is ahead of him. This will at least make me sleep tonight

I felt worse about the McCourty pick last year. That workednout ok.

Was it a mistake to not add Cam Jordan and Mark Ingram to this roster with the 2 picks the Patriots had in the 1st round??
Nope. We had better use for those picks.

BTW the Saints were in a position to take Ingram with their own 1st round pick yet they chose pass rushing athletic DE Cam Jordan./quote]
Athletic pass rushing DE? Do you even know the player?

Then they traded with the Pats a few spots later, gave up a 2nd this year and a 1st next to get Ingram. That not only tells you how much a great organization like the Saints values a Mark Ingram but it also tells you how highly they think of Cam Jordan.
They are a great organization because they like their picks?

Try this on for size. Jordan and Ingram in the 1st round (was there to be had for the Patriots) and Bowers with the 33rd and then load up on OL and WR in the 2nd and 3rd. How much better would this team be given the VERY REAL scenario I just presented??
Not as good as it will be when BB is done.
I understand your 'fantasy football if they are a popular name they are a good pick' mentality, but it just is wrong.
This isn't wild eyed dreaming on my part. THE PATRIOTS COULD HAVE HAD THESE PLAYERS.
The Patriots didn't want these players.

Yeah, who needs a first round caliber LT out there for 10 years, we could have had one of the players you have heard of:rolleyes:

No he wasn't. People like you blame Light for making up for Dan Connolly. The fact that Connolly was not credited as having allowed a sack was laughable. Connolly was responsible for numerous sacks.

Solder makes it less likely that Light will be here long than would otherwise be the case.

Therefore, Solder makes it less likely that Light will willingly sign another contract with the Pats.

The Matt Light era is over. He will be missed.

The Nick Kaczur era will probably continue.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Light signs a 2-3 year deal, stays at LT this year while Solder works his way in at G, then in 2012/2013 they transition him in.
I would not be surprised at all if Vollmer stays at RT permanently.

By the same token, moving on from Light, switching Vollmer over and playing Solder on the right side this year, is possible, with Lights cap slot used on a different Free Agent.

BTW the Saints were in a position to take Ingram with their own 1st round pick yet they chose pass rushing athletic DE Cam Jordan.

You whine worse than a cat in heat that's locked in a room.

Seriously. Get over yourself. You were so wrong last year on McCourty. What makes you think you've gotten smarter in the last year?

You have no idea how much better or worse this team would be with Jordan and Ingram. Personally, I am GLAD they didn't get the tremendously over-rated Ingram.

Solder might be a "work in progress" but no more so than Jordan would be on this defense.

No he wasn't. People like you blame Light for making up for Dan Connolly. The fact that Connolly was not credited as having allowed a sack was laughable. Connolly was responsible for numerous sacks.
No need to trash Connolly here, because you are as wrong as the guy who said Light sucked.
We had the best offense in the NFL last year, and Brady, compared to all the other NFL QBs was protected extremely well. No one on the OL was bad.
There were bad moments, but they were fewer than just about every team.
The reason we need to shore up the OL is not because it was poor, but because Light is aging, Neal retired, and Mankins is hanging on by a thread.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Light signs a 2-3 year deal, stays at LT this year while Solder works his way in at G, then in 2012/2013 they transition him in.
I would not be surprised at all if Vollmer stays at RT permanently.

By the same token, moving on from Light, switching Vollmer over and playing Solder on the right side this year, is possible, with Lights cap slot used on a different Free Agent.

FWIW, BB just said in tonights press conference that Solder will play LT and not be moved to another position.

Light has a little to do with it

Some concern also is the Franchise Tag hanging on for dear life

All we need is the new CBA to drop it and a now-free Mankins goes off into the FA Sunset and Solder replaces him at OG....

I could see Light,Solder,Koppen,Connolly,Vollmer in that order being our starting OL come September.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye